Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Top hose hot bottom empty or no fluid, fan wont kick on

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top hose hot bottom empty or no fluid, fan wont kick on

top hose is hot as hell, bottom feels cool and yet feels empty at the same time, both heater core hoses are hot as hell, radiator is really hot, fan wont kick on, checked the fan with a battery and its perfect, motor was just swapped in 00 JDM b16b CTR motor into an EG6 bubble, car runs smooth nothing wrong with the motor, head gasket is fine, what could it be? i have no bleader valve, so ive been trying to do it with the cap off and let it run till it kicks on 20 min goes by temp gauge works says its not even at half problem happend befor with my turbo b16 CRX but problem was solved with the bleader valve and a new rad, with i have a new rad on the motor now, let me know PLEASEE!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:14 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Top hose hot bottom empty or no fluid, fan wont kick on (B16aCRXSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16aCRXSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">top hose is hot as hell, bottom feels cool and yet feels empty at the same time, both heater core hoses are hot as hell, radiator is really hot, fan wont kick on, checked the fan with a battery and its perfect, motor was just swapped in 00 JDM b16b CTR motor into an EG6 bubble, car runs smooth nothing wrong with the motor, head gasket is fine, what could it be? i have no bleader valve, so ive been trying to do it with the cap off and let it run till it kicks on 20 min goes by temp gauge works says its not even at half problem happend befor with my turbo b16 CRX but problem was solved with the bleader valve and a new rad, with i have a new rad on the motor now, let me know PLEASEE!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

dud are you dumb as hell there is no way the bottom hose could be empty if there is fluid in the top hose just replace the thermostat and the fan switch
Old 10-20-2008, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Top hose hot bottom empty or no fluid, fan wont kick on (solturbob16sol)

new thats not it
Old 10-20-2008, 12:36 PM

new t stat and t switch still happening
Old 10-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hell of an attitude Sollturbo, take it away with you.

There may be a blockage in your cooling system, it could be airlocked, try running it with the rad cap off and see if water is circulating, maybe flush it, let the air out the bleed nipple. Could also be a bad water pump or radiator may be blocked. If the fan doesn't come on it may be the fan sensor/switch or because there actually is a blockage and the sensor isn't getting hot enough to turn on the fan.
To flush it, remove the rad cap, hook up a hose to one of the heater lines and let the hose flush out the whole system for you.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Top hose hot bottom empty or no fluid, fan wont kick on (itsmejto)

thanx dude, ive been letting it run for over 10 min or more with the cap off and the same **** every time....and the motors obd2 no bleader and which hose to flush? from the heater hoses? flush it so that it flushs the heater core? or take it off from the fire wall and flush the motor out?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Did you use a genuine Honda t-stat and gasket?

Did you install it correctly?

Sorry I've got to ask.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Top hose hot bottom empty or no fluid, fan wont kick on (B18C5-EH2)

BTW I've actually seen this before on a similiar situation:

Have you checked to make sure the plastic cap isn't still on the radiator neck for the bottom hose? A customer came in with the exact same problem and it stumped us all until we decided to pull the lower hose off and just take a look. Damn it if that little red plastic cap they ship the radiator with wasn't still in there blocking it completely!

It might sound dumb/obvious but sometimes that why it's overlooked.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Top hose hot bottom empty or no fluid, fan wont kick on (B18C5-EH2)

OEM and i made sure the cap was off how do you get airout with out the blrader valve?
Old 10-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16aCRXSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">top hose is hot as hell, bottom feels cool and yet feels empty at the same time, both heater core hoses are hot as hell, radiator is really hot, fan wont kick on, checked the fan with a battery and its perfect, motor was just swapped in 00 JDM b16b CTR motor into an EG6 bubble, car runs smooth nothing wrong with the motor, head gasket is fine, what could it be? i have no bleader valve, so ive been trying to do it with the cap off and let it run till it kicks on 20 min goes by temp gauge works says its not even at half problem happend befor with my turbo b16 CRX but problem was solved with the bleader valve and a new rad, with i have a new rad on the motor now, let me know PLEASEE!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

about the fan not kiking in, check your fuses. if the fan motor works, could be a fuse or a bad connection.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Top hose hot bottom empty or no fluid, fan wont kick on (egthomas)

fan blows hard when hard wired to a battery, fuse isnt blown, but the relay..... i dont know how to check if the relay is working properly, what else could it be? and how do you check the relay?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:26 PM

well
Old 10-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you've got no coolant running through the bottom hose that means you've got something blocking it. Are you sure the radiator isn't corroded internally and blocking the lower radiator hose? There should always be coolant in the lower hose as long as there's coolant in the radiator.

You always want to bleed air out of the system from the highest point in the cooling system. Most of the time the highest point is the radiator cap, and all you need to do is let the car run with the cap off until you see no more bubbles coming out. Sometimes there's a bleed valve that you need to open, and usually the bleed valve will be on the thermostat housing or near where the upper radiator hose connects to the block.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:58 AM

Default Re: (The_Honda_Guy)

theres deff no fluid in the bottom rad hose, and its a brand spanking new radiator, tested it befor i put it in and everything, no bleeder valve, its an obd2 motor, head gasket is not blown, or leaking, anyone else? car runs perfect, havent even pulled it out on the road yet to drive it, only running it in the driveway since swap, no linkage= stuck in the drive way, but like i said, its a 00 JDM b16b in excelent condition, just the bottom rad hose is filled with air, top hose is hot when warmed up, rad is brand new, rad gets hot after warmed up, any more sugestions?
Old 10-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (B16aCRXSi)

There's this thing called gravity, if you put water in the top of the radiator, it will come out the bottom. I beleive you may have your plumbing mixed somewhere and if that is verified to be correct, then you HAVE to have a blockage in the system somewhere. i'll bet you there's a piece of rag in it from when the engine was removed, stuffed into one of the waterways unseen when you installed it. Disconnect all hoses and follow the path of the waterways with a garden hose.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:30 PM

Default Re: (itsmejto)

well theres no rags the passage ways, the water is just not flowing from the thermatat housing to the bottom of the radiator hose, the hose is just empty and filled with air, nothing is wrong with the motor like i said, runs perfect in my driveway, revs up fine, just that bottom hose is filled with air and fan doesnt kick on
Old 10-21-2008, 03:37 PM
* B A N N E D *

Dude you are not taking these people serious. If you want this damn b16 to run, do what these people suggest. I doubt you took off the hoses and looked inside all the passageways like someone suggested. Do it man.....

And stop being stupid for a second. IF YOU FILL THE RADIATOR WITH WATER, EVEN WITHOUT A HOSE, IT WILL POUR OUT THE BOTTOM.
So since you still don't understand that, YOUR RADIATOR MIGHT BE CLOGGED....
Old 10-21-2008, 03:42 PM

Default Re: (cycopath)

dude, didnt i just say i tested the radiator befor i put it in, all the pasages are fine, the rad is deff not clogged, im 150% sure on that and i did check the pasages. im tellin you, that there is no flow between the thermostat housing the radiator hose
Old 10-21-2008, 03:45 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16aCRXSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude, didnt i just say i tested the radiator befor i put it in, all the pasages are fine,</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I didn't see you post that in there, must of skipped it. Get a new water pump. You NEVER do a engine swap without freshining it up.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:59 PM

brand new ITR pump thats not it, i think it might be the thermostat, fan switch, or relay, noboy has hinted towards the last 2 i know its a new thermostat, but sometimes they go bad even if there new, i didnt test the thermo befor i put it in....
Old 10-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post up some pics of what you are seeing, maybe it will help someone assist you. It can't hurt at this point right?
Old 10-21-2008, 04:19 PM
* B A N N E D *

EDit.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:21 PM

better yet ill make a video, its like the thermo isnt opeining, yet the water pump is working because theres pressure build up in the bottom hose
Old 10-21-2008, 04:32 PM
* B A N N E D *

Pull the bottom hose off when it's running, to see if there is water in it. Just don't burn yourself.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:39 PM

if i pull the bottom hose off the radiator, all the fluid will come out of the radiator, ill disconnect it from the thermostat housing, but that wont be no good, because its just gonna cool down the thermostat and it still wont open...?

Quick Reply: Top hose hot bottom empty or no fluid, fan wont kick on