Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Too much preassure in my coolant system??? HELP! lots water in overflow after driving.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much preassure in my coolant system??? HELP! lots water in overflow after driving.

I have a bone stock 92 civic cx. it has 215K miles but runs good. now i drive 110 to work, and another 110 back. on my way to work I have to go up steep hills making my car work harder. So I loose water and ends up in my overflow tank (a lot of it)h. on my way home which is mostly down hill I lose very little.
I already changed my cap this morning and same thing is happening??? Someone please help as I drive this car everyday to work.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Too much preassure in my coolant system??? HELP! lots water in overflow after driving. (junior40

Really sounds like it might be your headgasket has given up.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Too much preassure in my coolant system??? HELP! lots water in overflow after driving. (junior40

Does your car overheat at all? If it does, your headgasket would be on its way out. Did you notice any smoke or weird smell coming out of the tailpipe? How old is your radiator?

PS. How is it viable to drive 110 miles to and from work?
Old 12-08-2006, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it start to get warm towards the end (goes from below half to half and if i keep going it migh go a little under 3/4. i dont go after that). I dont see smoke at all. after that long drive I dont see leaks anywhere but in the morning I'll notice a bit off water behind the block. (just a bit) but no sure where its coming from. I dont see any cracks and doesnt seem to be coming from thehead gasket area.

ps: 220 round trip everyday sucks.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by junior40er &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
ps: 220 round trip everyday sucks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont know how you do it...But your car seems to be overheating. When is the last time you flushed out the system? Is the inside of your radiator dirty? When was the last time the timing belt/water pump was replaced? Any leaks anywhere?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DeadEnd9009 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i dont know how you do it...But your car seems to be overheating. When is the last time you flushed out the system? Is the inside of your radiator dirty? When was the last time the timing belt/water pump was replaced? Any leaks anywhere?</TD></TR></TABLE> I have to fill radiator when i left for work and before I go back home. my water ends up in my overflow tank.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Your headgasket is shot... it needs to be replaced period.

Eventually you will be either overheating or popping off radiator hoses...

replace the HG and all will be well again.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your head gasket is shot... it needs to be replaced period.

Eventually you will be either overheating or popping off radiator hoses...

replace the HG and all will be well again.</TD></TR></TABLE>
+2 this is with out a ? where your problem is you might have other problems now like a warped head from overheating but this is where it starts. Do a compression test I bet most of the numbers you get are low
Old 12-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well I have not let it g past 3/4 of the temp up.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not your head gasket. the same thing happened to me a few months ago. most likely your radiator has a crack in it. Also check to make sure that your fan turns on. If it doesnt check the fuse and the plug. I had the same problem so trust me and try this out. Autozone sells the radiator with lifetime warranty for $99.

hope it works.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by junior40er &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well I have not let it g past 3/4 of the temp up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How many times has this happened?

I would just do the headgasket, timing belt and water pump.

Good luck!
Old 12-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check to see if there is antifreeze in your oil or oil in your antifreeze. If not then its most likely not your head gasket. If there is than its your head gasket.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92redhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92redhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Autozone sells the radiator with lifetime warranty for $99.</TD></TR></TABLE>

DAMN! That made me feel guilty about getting my discounts. I picked up a radiator the other day for a 94 Civic EX that costed me $48 brand new with a cap and caps on the upper and lower connections, also with hardware.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92redhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92redhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check to see if there is antifreeze in your oil or oil in your antifreeze. If not then its most likely not your head gasket. If there is than its your head gasket.</TD></TR></TABLE>I did that and its not mixing. i also check exhaust and no water there either, so I doubt a warped head. I wanna track this down so I can save moeny by only replacing what needs replacing and not whats good.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LFA Squad :: Catfish)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LFA Squad :: Catfish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

DAMN! That made me feel guilty about getting my discounts. I picked up a radiator the other day for a 94 Civic EX that costed me $48 brand new with a cap and caps on the upper and lower connections, also with hardware. </TD></TR></TABLE> damn hook it up. I'll give you some cash on top of your cost. this way if i try it and doesnt work I wouldn't lose so much money.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (junior40er)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92redhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check to see if there is antifreeze in your oil or oil in your antifreeze. If not then its most likely not your head gasket. If there is than its your head gasket.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I have replace several headgaskets that where blown on honda with no mixing of the oil and antifreeze. The cheapest thing to start with is a compression test if the numbers are low and not equal within like 10 psi then the head gasket is blown. Or you can take it to a shop and have them test the coolant to see if it is contaminated. The very first sign of a blown head gasket is pushing coolant into the overflow can. then it gets worse from there the longer you drive it. Oh on last bit of bad news if your are burning coolant it is corrosive to aluminum and will eat it away.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instructor74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I have replace several headgaskets that where blown on honda with no mixing of the oil and antifreeze. The cheapest thing to start with is a compression test if the numbers are low and not equal within like 10 psi then the head gasket is blown. Or you can take it to a shop and have them test the coolant to see if it is contaminated. The very first sign of a blown head gasket is pushing coolant into the overflow can. then it gets worse from there the longer you drive it. Oh on last bit of bad news if your are burning coolant it is corrosive to aluminum and will eat it away.</TD></TR></TABLE> you think theres a posiibility of thermostat getting stuck causing preassure due to hot water? I noticed sometimes my lower hose get a bit cold after its warmed up. shouldn't it be warm since thermostat should be open?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by junior40er &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> damn hook it up. I'll give you some cash on top of your cost. this way if i try it and doesnt work I wouldn't lose so much money. </TD></TR></TABLE>

LMK then if this IS what you need. If it is then you can come pick it up from me.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool thanks.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could be leaking out of the water pump too although I don't think it would leak that much through the weephole and come to think of it do honda's have weepholes? My neighbor did mine for me and I don't remember but I would think that they do because all other ones I've put on or seen has a hole. Also at 215k miles it should be on it's third water pump by now along with the timing belt. If you haven't replaced those do yourself a favor and at least get that done.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kista20)

I checked my timing belt and water pump and it looked okay.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by junior40er &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> you think theres a posiibility of thermostat getting stuck causing preassure due to hot water? I noticed sometimes my lower hose get a bit cold after its warmed up. shouldn't it be warm since thermostat should be open?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Not likely if the termo was not opening the car would overheat all the time and coolant shouldn't end up in the over flow tank from that
Old 12-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by junior40er &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I checked my timing belt and water pump and it looked okay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

looks can be deceiving...the water pump leaks out of a hole called a weeping hole and is usually difficult to trace the leak.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your radiator!!!! Check to see if your fan turns on!!!!! Trust me.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LFA Squad :: Catfish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

looks can be deceiving...the water pump leaks out of a hole called a weeping hole and is usually difficult to trace the leak.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i see water on bottom of engine (left side) I think it can be the water pump thats bad. but will that cause water going into the overflow tank???

Quick Reply: Too much preassure in my coolant system??? HELP! lots water in overflow after driving.