Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

TONS OF WHITE SMOKE, NO COOLANT, PLUGS ALL SOAKED W/COOLANT?, WON'T START...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TONS OF WHITE SMOKE, NO COOLANT, PLUGS ALL SOAKED W/COOLANT?, WON'T START...

title explains it all, idk whats up with it. Headgasket, idk...

Motor:
Stock b18c5
greddy turbo kit
(put in new plugs last night, gAyCdelcos, the right ones, gapped to .025", doubt this would have to do with it.)

didn't overheat. Noticed some coolant leaking last night, thought it was my messe dup plastic coolant can thing...

ANYONE?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: TONS OF WHITE SMOKE, NO COOLANT, PLUGS ALL SOAKED W/COOLANT?, WON'T START... (Naudlee)

if you were shooting out a lot of white smoke and your plugs are white, you might have hydrolocked your motor
Old 07-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TONS OF WHITE SMOKE, NO COOLANT, PLUGS ALL SOAKED W/COOLANT?, WON'T START... (Naudlee)

if your plugs are soaked with coolant, chances are you have a bad gasket. that's probably why you can't start your car, to much coolant.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:02 PM

headgasket or worst case cracked head or sleeves
Old 07-25-2006, 01:38 PM

plugs weren't white, they are just soaked in some kind of liquid, I'm,guessing cooland, I smelled them and didn't remind me of oil. ANd I looked inthe plug holes after I pulled the plugs, and there was that liquid(coolant?) down there.

I know for a fact my radiator is on its
>last limb of life, its all corroded and rusted and the other night I
>grabbed it and it crumbled a bunch of fins off.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Naudlee)

the head is gonna have to come off regardless. then you can check for sure
Old 07-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (md88hfcrx)

Your radiator would have almost nothing to do with your plugs being soaked in "coolant." Even if your radiator is going to **** (which... definitely is) it wouldn't get into the block. Sounds like you have some serious issues, get that head off ASAP!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SovXietday)

yea your best bet is to pull that head and check it out. hopefully it will just be the gasket and not anything cracked.. good luck.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:58 PM

Fill your raddy and let it run for about 30 min. If there is oil in your water it will look milky and strange. If this happens, you most likely have a blown head gasket. When you said "I looked inthe plug holes after I pulled the plugs, and there was that liquid(coolant?) down there." Are you talking about on top of the plugs like where the wires snap on. This would be bad gaskets between the head and the valve cover. There are four of them. Good luck!!

Old 07-25-2006, 02:25 PM

below the plugs... and I can't start the car at the moment, won't turn over because of all the plugs being soaked/coolant in there I presume.

Could it be the radiator busted, overheated the car
and the headgasket popped from the head warping.

I did notice last night driving it home on the highway, the temp needle is usually in the middle, it was at about 2/3... Idk, but I did notice it up a little higher than usual

Modified by Naudlee at 3:58 PM 7/25/2006
Old 07-25-2006, 02:58 PM

also, random ques: If I were to buy anew aftermarket radiator, will my stock fan work w/ it and all the lines work too? jw
Old 07-25-2006, 03:33 PM

I would feel safe saying that you should replace the head gasket. Dont forget to resurface the head while its off. Its always a good idea. As for the raddy question, you have to make sure of all of that before you order it. Most will accept the factory fan, hoses and mounting points, but some dont. Good luck!!
Old 07-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Greenb16)

I would not try turning your motor over. Pull head off check for any damage and clean up any liquid you see... change oil and spark plugs and hope for the best.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: (spoonracer84eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoonracer84eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would not try turning your motor over. Pull head off check for any damage and clean up any liquid you see... change oil and spark plugs and hope for the best.</TD></TR></TABLE>

totally man, i dont see why your asking questions about your radiator, its obvious thats not your problem. Do what everyone is telling you, take the head off and check for damage.

i'm voting head gasket.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:45 PM

thats what I plan on doing... but I know my rad is on its last leg of life. THe fins crumbled the other day when I grabbed it.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Naudlee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats what I plan on doing... but I know my rad is on its last leg of life. THe fins crumbled the other day when I grabbed it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, so after you take the head off and diag. the problem and fix it, THEN you can replace the radiator.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:00 PM

yes sir, thats what I planned on doing sir, I just had some rad questions aswelll ya see... haha. Why exactly does a headgasket blow, I justboosted my car, that probs the culprit?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:02 PM

Default Re: (Ej1_coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ej1_coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, so after you take the head off and diag. the problem and fix it, THEN you can replace the radiator. </TD></TR></TABLE>

seriously... he has much more pressing issues at hand
Old 07-25-2006, 05:16 PM

Default Re: (kKdARIAN)

Yeah......Probally not a good idea to run with a bad HG!! Bad post from. Sorry
Old 07-25-2006, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you still driving this car?
Old 07-25-2006, 06:06 PM

no, I pushed it to my driveway from the end of my street where I left it. It won't start because the plugs are all sitting in coolant. Its getting towed to local honda/acura guy tomorrow to fix/diagnose whats exactly done for. I'd rather have it done right you know, Pay a lil extra for more of a guarantee than my own work when it comes to that...
Old 07-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does your oil look like milk and coffee??if so you have a blown headgasket
Old 07-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Naudlee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes sir, thats what I planned on doing sir, I just had some rad questions aswelll ya see... haha. Why exactly does a headgasket blow, I justboosted my car, that probs the culprit?</TD></TR></TABLE>
How much boost did you run and how much power are you making. Generally when you "blow" a headgasket it's only around one or two cylinders... it would take something pretty bad to blow the gasket and fill ALL 4 cylinders at once.

However, if you're head is lifting under boost, I could maybe see you getting issues like you're seeing. So, take your head off, replace that headgasket, check the surface of the head for any signs of warping, bolt it down with some ARP head bolts, and then replace your rad.

Here's hoping you don't have a cracked head.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:11 AM

I'm hoping too, lets see due to some shady shipping I do not have a boost gauge at the moment. AS a precaution, I played w/ the wastyegate and screwed it almost all the way down, in terms of reducing boost. I know when it was being tune, w/o playing w/ the gate, it hit 10psi on the highway in 5th gear vtec... ehh expletive
Old 07-26-2006, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Blown head gasket OR cracked cylinder wall. Major reapairs await.....

Quick Reply: TONS OF WHITE SMOKE, NO COOLANT, PLUGS ALL SOAKED W/COOLANT?, WON'T START...