Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Was told I need a new engine from overheat, is this correct or am I being tricked?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was told I need a new engine from overheat, is this correct or am I being tricked?

I drive a 1997 Civic LX that overheated during Hurricane Sandy, I was not paying attention to my gauges, I was trying to go 60 but my car only went 40, I thought it was because of my leaking exhaust manifold, I wasn't thinking straight as I focused on getting home since the hurricane was going to be in full swing in a couple hours. This went on for about 4 minutes and the car stopped working. Turns out to be a leaking radiator hose and now the car works very hard to turn on and half the time it sounds like the engine seized, when it does turn on it dies very quickly, sounds like its losing air and shuts off.

We took a quick look and all the spark plugs were melted into the spark plug wire, which took a very long time to yank out. The spark plugs all smelled like strong gasoline mixed with something burnt. We did quick fix by replacing the valve cover gasket, new spark plugs and spark plug wires, and it is in the same state.

Mechanic one told me I need a new engine since there can be problems that extend beyond headgasket + shaving head, where it will be smarter and cost efficient to swap the engine, used d16y7 100k engine=600 dollars + 400 in labor + 100 in various parts = 1100

Mechanic two tells me that I only need a headgasket + shaving head and my problems will be resolved and civics are tough cars, 100 in parts+ 60 shave head+ 250 labor= 410

I do not know much about cars, I was wondering if you guys would be able to give me some good insight on which avenue to go. I hope you guys can help me out, I am pretty desperate right now.

Last edited by scrapper bitch; 11-20-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Was told I need a new engine from overheat, is this correct or am I being tricked

It really depends. I would start by accessing the bottom, check for scored bearings, etc. Also the bore could be damaged which means a bore or hone job. Sounds like you may have burnt the valves up, but realistically you would need to pull the head and access the damage.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Was told I need a new engine from overheat, is this correct or am I being tricked

^^
+1

if the damage is too much, sourcing another engine is easier then rebuilding.

Im guessing you dont have tools or anything to do the job. Its not that difficult. for the $$ you spend for a mechanic, you can buy ramps or stands and a socket/rachet set and look for yourself. Theres plenty of writeups on how to dismantle an engine.

But a headgasket isnt difficult either as long as you follow the steps. you will need a torque wrench for head studs, feeler gauge as well for valve lash. other then that a rachet set and simple round the house tools can get you by.

New honda parts can be found here : hondapartsnow.com
Old 11-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If Mechanic two is telling you it just needs a new head gasket and shaved head. Id go with that. I would't go to the First Mechanic. But I have driven a civic that had a stuck thermostat and was read lined on heat for about 20 min and it didn't do anything but bust a radiator hose and my cam seal. I was also letting is cool down every 10 min as well tho. Melting the spark plugs to the rubber around it means that thing was cooking. It is possible you cracked the head. But again id go with mechanic two if he's saying its not blown.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Forgot to mention that I tried to do a quick fix by replacing the valve cover gasket, new spark plugs and spark plug wires, and it is in the same state.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

keep those parts, cuz your going to need them.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by scrapper bitch
Forgot to mention that I tried to do a quick fix by replacing the valve cover gasket, new spark plugs and spark plug wires, and it is in the same state.
That wasnt going to be a quick fix...
Honestly you dont know how bad the damage will be until you have that engine torn down.
The sleeves could be scored or worse.
Be prepared to shell out the 1100 because i have seen too many of those 410.00 fixes end up being the 1100 in the long run
The old saying goes.. you can pay me now or you can pay me later.
Id opt for replacing the engine rather than just replacing a head gasket.
Right now all the others are betting your bottom end is fine.
You dont know if you damaged the bottom end too until you have it torn down
Old 11-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. You could have warped the hell out of the pistons or cylinders or tore them to hell along with the piston skirts, etc. Anything is possible. The bottom end could be toast.