Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tire Rubbing - Suspension Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Rubbing - Suspension Issue

Firstly, I wasn't quiet sure where to post this. It's both a tire/suspension issue I think.. so I put it here as my car is a 00 EX.

I recently upgraded my tires/wheels to 205/50/R15's from I think 185/?/R14's. Before that, I lowered the car on coilovers and there was no issue with rubbing at all. After I got the new tires, the sidewall (I think) of the tires sort of rub the inner part of my fender guards (again, I think that's what it's called, not sure.) Anyways, it only happens when I'm making turns, it doesn't have to be on full-lock, but for the most part it is. Sometimes when it isn't fully locked, it still rubs and I can hear the rubbing from the inside and it's pretty bad.

I know the obvious thing to do to fix the issue is to raise my car, but I'm head over heels in love with how it's sitting right now. It doesn't look "slammed" and it's just right to get rid of the hideous gap between fender and tire. So, I don't want to raise it.

My questions:

A) Can I remove that guard? Is it significant?

B) Even if I remove the guard, the body shape of the car still will make sure my tires will rub. But this time, it will be metal on rubber instead of rubber on rubber. So, can I possibly hammer in that metal section to get it out of the way?

Here are pictures to give you a better picture.

This is the place it's rubbing, and as you can see from the darker black areas, there is obvious friction between the two.

....after removing the guard.

I'm hesitant to remove it because this guard is a pretty huge piece. I think it's covering the back of my headlights, and goes right under the front sides too.

Here's the other side, same problem.

How can I troubleshoot this issue without raising my car? I hope me explanation was clear enough.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Rubbing - Suspension Issue

Bump bump.. anyone?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You obviously ignored offset when you got your wheels. You need to either replace your wheels with some proper offset wheels, or roll your fenders. "Just hitting it with a hammer" is the worst idea possible here.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How would rolling fenders help here? This rubbing is happening on the inner part of the fender pannel... Isn't fender rolling for the outer part? There is no rubbing on the outside, just the inside part.. kinda screwed up lol
Old 04-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Get LP tires or a different offset rims. I'm guessing those aren't coils you're on or i'd say raise the car
Old 04-23-2013, 11:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Ah, I see. I wasn't looking at the pictures the right way, thought you were rubbing on the outer edge.

I'm still leaning on incorrect wheel fitment. What's your wheel offset?

Low profile tires are not a proper fix - they'll completely mess up his speedo reading.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am on coils, and I can raise the car to fix this.. BUT, I like how it sits now and I wanna know if there's anything I can do before resorting to lifting it. Tires are 205/50/R15 and offset I believe is +41.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Trial User

You need to either replace your wheels with some proper offset wheels
Old 04-23-2013, 11:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

That's...odd. You have the proper offset, you have the proper tire size, and you aren't tucked. The only other thing I can think is your nose is diving. Do a test for me. Find a wide open parking lot (the back of a mall lot would work well), go full lock in either direction, and get your car moving. Don't give it any gas, and don't touch the brakes. Just let it roll on it's own idle power. Does it still rub?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
That's...odd. You have the proper offset, you have the proper tire size, and you aren't tucked. The only other thing I can think is your nose is diving. Do a test for me. Find a wide open parking lot (the back of a mall lot would work well), go full lock in either direction, and get your car moving. Don't give it any gas, and don't touch the brakes. Just let it roll on it's own idle power. Does it still rub?
Ok, I will do that tomorrow - or, later today as it's 1 A.M. - and give you an update.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yeah, I assumed you wouldn't be able to go out and do it right now

Are those F/F T1's? If they are, I'm probably right. Those springs are WAY too soft.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, yes they are
Old 04-24-2013, 12:11 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yep. Definitely do the test that I mentioned when you get the chance, but add in a twist. Assuming it isn't rubbing while you aren't touching the brake/gas, after you've done a couple loops (in both directions), give the brakes a good stiff tap and see if that makes them rub. I'd almost put money on it
Old 04-24-2013, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea you could be right. It mostly happens when I'm turning and mostly at full lock. That's why I mentioned hammering that piece earlier. Of course I'm not gonna smash my fender with a hammer but the inner part, will it help you think?

With fender pannel on

and off

Or even saw that whole section off? Is that just utterly retarded? lol
Old 04-24-2013, 12:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yes, that is utterly retarded. That's a pinch weld - it's kinda sorta critical to your car's structural integrity. I wouldn't even hammer at it, much less cut it off.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, thanks. I will test out your methods later on and get back to you. From the looks of it, I will most likely have to raise my car, darn.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep. Definitely do the test that I mentioned when you get the chance, but add in a twist. Assuming it isn't rubbing while you aren't touching the brake/gas, after you've done a couple loops (in both directions), give the brakes a good stiff tap and see if that makes them rub. I'd almost put money on it
Alright, I did this test. When I was going left/right in circles (full lock) just with the clutch, no gas, I heard no rubbing at all and nothing unusual. When I gave the brakes a tap, I didn't hear much of anything either. Sort of strange..? I can see mad clearance between where its rubbing and the tire when I'm parked, so I don't know why it chooses to rub.

Another thing I found while doing the loops and this time with a bit of gas added was that when I was turning left, I heard nothing. When I went right, I can hear the rubbing. It's more heavy to one side (drivers side) but both sides have the wear from the rubbing on the inner part of the fender pannel. I took a somewhat hard turn (left) on my way home and the car handled it fine and I didn't hear anything.

So yup....
Old 04-24-2013, 08:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

lulz

I'm assuming you set your height with no one in the car? Have a friend who's about your size sit in the car, it'll probably lower the FD side of your car a wee bit, which would explain why it's heavier on that side.

Honestly, the best way to make sure this doesn't become a serious problem would be to raise your car up a half inch. It won't be noticeable, and it'll get the tire off the splash guard.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

cut slits in it, and hammer it flat, don't remove it.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
This wont affect the over all rigidity of the unibody? Ive been wondering because I was thinking about doing it to ej8
Old 04-25-2013, 06:25 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MEn'MYEK
This wont affect the over all rigidity of the unibody? Ive been wondering because I was thinking about doing it to ej8
I can't say yes or no. It could, but thats probably going to be in the event of a hard front accident, and at that point the car is likely going to be fucked any ways.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lulz

I'm assuming you set your height with no one in the car? Have a friend who's about your size sit in the car, it'll probably lower the FD side of your car a wee bit, which would explain why it's heavier on that side.

Honestly, the best way to make sure this doesn't become a serious problem would be to raise your car up a half inch. It won't be noticeable, and it'll get the tire off the splash guard.
I just might raise it this weekend then... but whats weird is the tire isn't hitting the splash guard, there's clearance there.. only when I turn.. I've parked in full lock to see if it would rub, but there's still clearance.. maybe stiffer springs? I know you're right, the F&F springs feel real soft.

And yup, I didn't have anyone in the car when adjusting height, but I have to jack up the car and remove the tires so how would someone being in the car while in the process make sense? But yea, I will have someone in the car when parked and then see if the tire is on the guard or not... I don't know how I missed the obvious addition of my weight bringing the car down as opposed to me checking it with no one in the car LOL!

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Originally Posted by MEn'MYEK
I don't know, that was my original plan.. to cut slits/hammer the metal part. But people have advised against it. EJ8 here also, so... First I will raise the ride, if I don't like how it sits.. I just might resort to the mighty hammer!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah, I see. I wasn't looking at the pictures the right way, thought you were rubbing on the outer edge.

I'm still leaning on incorrect wheel fitment. What's your wheel offset?

Low profile tires are not a proper fix - they'll completely mess up his speedo reading.

with 195-50's will only be off 2mph @ 65mph

Originally Posted by PunchedGuava
I am on coils, and I can raise the car to fix this.. BUT, I like how it sits now and I wanna know if there's anything I can do before resorting to lifting it. Tires are 205/50/R15 and offset I believe is +41.

When your lowering the car, you need to figure out tire sizing as well.
Some brands run slightly smaller and others larger and other spot on in the middle. But when your lowering as low as you are, smaller tires are usually selected for just this reason.

https://honda-tech.com/tire_rim_calculator.php

Originally Posted by tyronaqb
You need to either replace your wheels with some proper offset wheels

Those are Enkei RPF's in a ET42 or ET35 , those are fine and proper!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, RPF1's In I believe ET42. And my tire size is 205/50/R15.. and that seems right for the wheels.

And I had two people in my car, one who weighs about the same and another whose probably half my weight. And no, I'm not fat, the chick was just skinny And with them in the car, I checked the clearance and it was still the same, and not touching the fender pannel. I will raise it a .5 inch tomorrow nonetheless to see if it will help.