Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Recommendation

.Hi, the search isnt working and i bet this has been answered a couple times, but i need a little advice.

Right now i have a 2000 Civic Si on the Stock 15" Si Rims w/ the Stock Michelin P195/55 R15 84V. I have an Eibach ProKit Drop on the Car. The treads is getting pretty bad and i really need some new tires. Can anyone recommend me the best tires? It can be expensive but not TOO expensive . And maybe a link to read about them. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Tire Recommendation (BrutalDawg)

What else are you looking for in a tire?
Road NOISE?
Handling?
Treadwear?
All Season, Winter or Summer?
Old 01-03-2005, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Recommendation (HumanResource)

Im looking for overall good tires in every department if possible.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get a camber kit if you need one...chances are your tires are soo cambered (depending on the drop) that new tires would be useless...warranty on tires wouldn't be taken into account either for drop vehicles...also get an alignment done with your new tires...
Old 01-03-2005, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Recommendation (civicboisi)

i just had an alignment done a month ago, so if i get new tires would that have made the alignment useless?
Old 01-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrutalDawg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just had an alignment done a month ago, so if i get new tires would that have made the alignment useless?</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you got an alignment done a month ago on shitty tires, then yes, the alignment was useless.

if you had it done on your new tires, and after a month they've been wearing bad, then get your alignment checked out again(the shop should do this no charge since it's only been a month).

Throwing new tires on everytime they're wearing fast isn't gonna solve anything but throw money out your pocket. Get the real problem fixed first.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tick tock
Old 01-03-2005, 11:21 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicboisi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you got an alignment done a month ago on shitty tires, then yes, the alignment was useless.

if you had it done on your new tires, and after a month they've been wearing bad, then get your alignment checked out again(the shop should do this no charge since it's only been a month).

Throwing new tires on everytime they're wearing fast isn't gonna solve anything but throw money out your pocket. Get the real problem fixed first.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It doesn't matter if the tires were good or not. Do you get an alignment every time you get new tires or rims?

I have heard that Blittzak tires are REALLY good tires. Sorry no linky but will seach.

-Shane
Old 01-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

falcon ziexs were rated one of the best all season tires.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Tire Recommendation (nighttrain33)

OK, so here's something from http://www.tirerack.com. Kinda expensive, but like I said, I have heard that they are really good.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...1=yes.

-Shane
Old 01-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks!
Old 01-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It doesn't matter if the tires were good or not. Do you get an alignment every time you get new tires or rims?

I have heard that Blittzak tires are REALLY good tires. Sorry no linky but will seach.

-Shane</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are u serious? You SHOULD have an alignment done everytime u get new tires yes.

Yes Bridgestone Blizzaks are good winter tires...but there are better ones out there
Old 01-03-2005, 12:35 PM

If you want the best prices on some good tires go to http://www.edgeracing.com
Old 01-03-2005, 12:48 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicboisi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are u serious? You SHOULD have an alignment done everytime u get new tires yes.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Umm, no, not really.

People annoy the hell out of me when they bring their cars in for alignments for no good reason at all. You have to spend all the time to get the car up on the rack and set up all the heads, only to see that the settings are still set to factory specification, where you set them the last time they brought the car in.

If your alignment is set properly in the first place, you don't need an alignment done unless you change the ride height, you hit something (like a curb or a deep pothole), and/or you notice alignment-related uneven tire wear. Having an alignment done every time you change tires is retarded, and is a waste of money on your part and a waste of time on your alignment technician's part.

I have 4 sets of wheels and tires for my track car and change them frequently (as in at least once a week) during the season. Are you meaning to tell me that I have to check my alignment settings once a week?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Recommendation (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Umm, no, not really.

People annoy the hell out of me when they bring their cars in for alignments for no good reason at all. You have to spend all the time to get the car up on the rack and set up all the heads, only to see that the settings are still set to factory specification, where you set them the last time they brought the car in.

If your alignment is set properly in the first place, you don't need an alignment done unless you change the ride height, you hit something (like a curb or a deep pothole), and/or you notice alignment-related uneven tire wear. Having an alignment done every time you change tires is retarded, and is a waste of money on your part and a waste of time on your alignment technician's part.

I have 4 sets of wheels and tires for my track car and change them frequently (as in at least once a week) during the season. Are you meaning to tell me that I have to check my alignment settings once a week? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if you're complaining about doing your job, especially on customer vehicles, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place

What you're trying to say is that if someone comes in...tires worn to ****...balding all the way around, and gets new tires put on, you're going to push them out the door and say the hell with them after replacing their tires? Talk about shitty work.

I'm not saying all cars need an alignment when they get new tires, but if a car has been using those old tires for 60,000+ miles, wouldn't it be in your best interest to just CHECK to see if your alignments still good? Especially if you have an alignment machine sitting right next to yah...

Maybe thats not how you guys do work there...but thats how we do it over hurr
Old 01-03-2005, 01:07 PM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicboisi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well if you're complaining about doing your job, especially on customer vehicles, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place </TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm not complaining, because I don't do alignments on any cars except my own - but it still jerks me off when people get alignments just for the hell of it when they don't need them. There is only one alignment rack in the building, and it takes time to set up the rack. When there is no good reason to have an alignment done, it's just a waste of time.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What you're trying to say is that if someone comes in...tires worn to ****...balding all the way around, and gets new tires put on, you're going to push them out the door and say the hell with them after replacing their tires? Talk about shitty work.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Sorry, but I don't try to sell people **** they don't need just to make an extra buck.

If you can't tell the difference between a tire that is balding evenly vs. a tire that has been driven with an alignment problem, maybe you should have your eyes checked. Or your tire wear gauges . . .

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not saying all cars need an alignment when they get new tires</TD></TR></TABLE>
Oh? Didn't you just say:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You SHOULD have an alignment done everytime u get new tires yes.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I completely disagree with this statement.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if a car has been using those old tires for 60,000+ miles, wouldn't it be in your best interest to just CHECK to see if your alignments still good? Especially if you have an alignment machine sitting right next to yah...</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm not talking about a scenario like this, genius. I'm talking about when some bonehead comes riding in every 2 months just to get an alignment for no reason. 99% of the time, alignment settings have not changed. It's a waste of time.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe thats not how you guys do work there...but thats how we do it over hurr </TD></TR></TABLE>
Must be nice to doodle your time away doing work that isn't necessary.

I can tell the people that come in regularly for alignments for no good reason by looking up their service history on the repair order or in the computer. Guess you guys don't keep track of your customers too well . . .
Old 01-03-2005, 01:13 PM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrutalDawg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im looking for overall good tires in every department if possible. </TD></TR></TABLE>
It's not possible.

A tire that compromises performance across multiple categories will end up sucking at everything. Hence the reason all-season tires suck in all seasons. If you want a good tire for any particular purpose, you're going to have to sacrifice other things . . . i.e. grip vs. treadwear, wet vs. dry traction, etc.

If you need to get around in the snow, get yourself a second set of wheels (I use 14" steelies on my Si in the winter) with some decent snow tires. Then, get a set of summer tires (like Kumho 711 or Yokohama ES100) for your nice wheels. You won't regret it.

As someone mentioned above, tire choice will often come down to personal preferences/needs in the areas of handling, treadwear, noise, cost etc. What is important to you?

Modified by Targa250R at 6:26 PM 1/3/2005
Old 01-03-2005, 02:06 PM

I have a 1998 civic w/ a B18c1 swap w. bolt ons and i run bridgestone potenzas S0-3s. OMG these tires grip in the rain or snow and handle like crazy. If you dont care about treadwear and wanna launch hardcore crazy get falken Azenis aka cheaters. All high performance tires dont last long but wen u feel it grip, it's amazing!
Old 01-03-2005, 02:23 PM
be professional

Default Re: Tire Recommendation (blackjdmEKcivic)

S-03 Pole Positions? Snow? That's hilarious.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well first of all...if you're trying to pick me apart on some alignment history and try to say my shop doesn't run **** right or treat our customers with great or even BETTER service then what you're saying...then pm me and lets debate. Granted our shops been voted #1 in Milwaukee from the public, you have alot of ***** saying all that ****.

We don't sell our customers anything they don't need.

And in reference to my own quote "I'm not saying all cars need an alignment when they get new tires" u shouldve finished reading the end of that sentence. And if the 60,000 plus miles doesn't get to yah, then you have know idea what the hell you're talking about.

oh and 99.9% of the time when customers come in and want an alignment done...chances are they DO need an alignment or their **** checked out.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:13 PM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicboisi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well first of all...if you're trying to pick me apart on some alignment history and try to say my shop doesn't run **** right or treat our customers with great or even BETTER service then what you're saying...then pm me and lets debate. Granted our shops been voted #1 in Milwaukee from the public, you have alot of ***** saying all that ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Boy, getting defensive are we? You went there first, not me buddy. If you can't handle a dose of your own medicine, maybe you should think twice next time before handing it out.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We don't sell our customers anything they don't need.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Then why are you telling me to?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And in reference to my own quote "I'm not saying all cars need an alignment when they get new tires" u shouldve finished reading the end of that sentence. And if the 60,000 plus miles doesn't get to yah, then you have know idea what the hell you're talking about.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I read it and responded to it. Apparently you didn't read. As I said, it's just an unlikely anecdotal example.

And you're right. I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh and 99.9% of the time when customers come in and want an alignment done...chances are they DO need an alignment or their **** checked out. </TD></TR></TABLE>
You should be glad then, since you obviously don't have to put up with bullshit like that. What annoys me is that you're on here putting such goofy ideas into people's heads.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

last i checked...he asked for help and i gave my advice...it's a tech-forum. Whatever man...whoever reads these posts will know what to what and if i'm wrong i apologize...thats right...you know all
Old 01-10-2005, 10:53 AM

Wow! Anyways, if you haven't had a camber kit installed, get one. Have it installed with your new tires and get an alignment done. If you need a good deal on camber kits (or any other parts) visit us at: http://www.camberkit.com, http://www.iapdirect.com

Peter
-Import Auto Performance
your source for quality performance parts
http://www.iapdirect.com
peter@iapdirect.com
AIM: peteriap
Old 01-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tire Recommendation (IAPDIRECT)

i would recommend yokohama es100's. they are a good all around tire.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

195/50/15 faulken ziex 512

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendation