Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire questions

Ok, so when I bought my 98 ex sedan it came with 18' rims on the rear with super low pro tires on them, and stock steel 14's on the front. Back then I could take that car around any curve as fast as I wanted to, as long as I could keep traction on the front end. I never felt the *** end of the car even try to break traction in a curve, even when I was having to understeer the front to keep it on the road. I have since bought 2 more stock Honda 14's and out on the back in place of the 18's that were on it. I think the tires are 185/60 14's, and now I constantly feel like my *** end is going to pass me in every curve I take at higher speeds. Why exactly is that? Tire roll? The width of the 18's that were on there? I'm on stock suspension, and I know in the future I plan to put some stiffer coil overs on it, but as far as tires and rims go, when I do go to buy a set, I don't wanna go much over a 15" and I'd like to keep them as light weight as possible. what can I do to get the same if not better handling performance that I got out of having 18" rims on the rear? Any input is appreciated, I'm kind of new to suspsension, although my question is more oriented twords tires and rims. Thanks
Old 03-04-2019, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Tire questions

Originally Posted by Joey Mitchell
Ok, so when I bought my 98 ex sedan it came with 18' rims on the rear with super low pro tires on them, and stock steel 14's on the front. Back then I could take that car around any curve as fast as I wanted to, as long as I could keep traction on the front end. I never felt the *** end of the car even try to break traction in a curve, even when I was having to understeer the front to keep it on the road. I have since bought 2 more stock Honda 14's and out on the back in place of the 18's that were on it. I think the tires are 185/60 14's, and now I constantly feel like my *** end is going to pass me in every curve I take at higher speeds. Why exactly is that? Tire roll? The width of the 18's that were on there? I'm on stock suspension, and I know in the future I plan to put some stiffer coil overs on it, but as far as tires and rims go, when I do go to buy a set, I don't wanna go much over a 15" and I'd like to keep them as light weight as possible. what can I do to get the same if not better handling performance that I got out of having 18" rims on the rear? Any input is appreciated, I'm kind of new to suspsension, although my question is more oriented twords tires and rims. Thanks
Check the rear bushings and make sure they arent completely rotted or torn. Bad bushings are usually accompanied with creaking.

Check the alignment. Out of whack angles in the rear can make the car handle very strange.

How fast are you cornering? Higher profile tires tend to roll over onto the shoulder with hard corners.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tire questions

Originally Posted by Al Polk
Check the rear bushings and make sure they arent completely rotted or torn. Bad bushings are usually accompanied with creaking.

Check the alignment. Out of whack angles in the rear can make the car handle very strange.

How fast are you cornering? Higher profile tires tend to roll over onto the shoulder with hard corners.
ill check the bushings, I imagine they are probably rotted out like everything else underneath the car. I believe I have a little negative camber in the rear, at least it looks that way to the naked eye. And I'm talking about very fast cornering. I thought it may have something to do with the tire profile, as the 18s I used to have on it had rubber band profile. Can running slightly higher psi in tires reduce tire roll?