Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tips Tricks And How-To's

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 11:51 PM
93EH6

Default Tips Tricks And How-To's

Here are a few how-to's i have done and writen over the past couple months.

I will not be responsible for any damages you do to your car or yourself by performing these mods.

1. AUX LIGHT MOD FOR DEL SOLS
After doing this mod you will be able to turn on your aux lights on your del sol without your headlights.

Supplys Needed
1. 2 feet of blue wire
2. 3 splice connectors
3. 1 fuse link
4. 1 10 amp fuse
5. 1 conector to plug into the fuse panel it looks like this.

Then you cut off some of the outer plastic and it looks like this.

Quick diagram i just made.

1. Unplug your battery.

2. Take out the two screws above your cluster and pull the panel out.

3. Unplug the aux light wires and cut the one all the way on the right it should be the one that is red with a white stripe.

4. Now you are going to use a splice connector to splice the red wire that goes to the switch and the blue wire.

5. Then block off the old red wire power source with a splice connector.

6. Now cut the blue wire in half and strip the ends and put on the fuse link with splice connectors.

7. Now on the end of the blue wire put on the plug for the fuse pannel and plug it into one near where the power window ones are.

8. Finaly test it and if it works put it all back together if not check for mistakes.

2. PAINTING YOUR VALVE COVER

Supplys Needed
1. Aircraft Remover (avalible at auto parts stores only needed if your cover is already painted).
2. New valve cover gasget (not always needed but good to have in case you break yours.)
3. Primer.
4. Paint always get high heat paint and if you want a stock looking finish get wrinkle paint.

1. Remove your valve cover.

2. Get out the Aircraft Remover spray it on and let it do its magic then hose it off if it does not all come off the first time repeat this step.

3. Once you get all the remover off and get it dry tape off every thing you don’t want painted and for the letters on the valve cover you can use some petrolleum jelly.

4. Spray on a coat of primer making sure to cover everything.

5. Once the primer is totally dry spray on a coat of your top coat and if needed use more than one coat but make sure the one before it is completly dry

6. Then put it back together useing the new gasket if needed the tourqe specs should be 7 if i remember right.

When it is done it should look somthing like this

3. POLISHING YOUR VALVE COVER

Supplys Needed
1. Aircraft Remover
2. Sand paper 320 500 800 1000 2000
3. Aluminum Polish
4. New valve cover gasget (not always needed but good to have in case you break yours.)

1. Remove your valve cover.

2. Get out the Aircraft Remover spray it on and let it do its magic then hose it off if it does not all come off the first time repeat this step.

3. Once all the original paint is gone you need to start sanding starting with 320 and moving up from there until you get to the 2000 grit

4. Get out the polish and finish the polishing

5. Then put it back together useing the new gasket if needed the tourqe specs should be 7 if i remember right.

When it is done it should look somthing like this

4. PAINTING YOUR WHEELS

Supplys Needed
1. Steel wool or scotch brite pad
2. 320 grit sand paper
3. Index Cards
4. Primer
5. Paint

1. Take the wheels off the car and clean them using the steel wool or scoth brite pad

2. Get some 320 grit sand paper and sand them.

3. Put index cards in between the rims and the tires to keep the paint off the tires.

4. Spray one coat of primer and make sure it is completly covered.

5. Get out your paint that is the color that you want and start spraying making sure that the paint drys between each coat i used 3 cans and did 12 light coats.

6. Put the wheels back on and enjoy those bitches.

When you are done it should look something like this

5. RED GAUGES

Supplys Needed
1. Red Sharpie
2. Philips Screwdriver

1. Take out your gauge cluster. On a del sol there are two screws above the cluster and the three holding it in it is easer if you take the cluster out completly so disconect all the wires.

2. Now with the cluster in your lap start taking out the bulbs that light up the back of the cluster there are some ones that you leave in on the del sols they are the one without the little blue covers on them so take out all the ones with blue covers.

3. Remove the covers from the light bulbs.

4. Take your sharpie and start coloring the lights.

5. Put the bulbs back in and make sure it works and then reinstall the cluster and enjoy your red gauges.

6. ADJUST YOUR THROTLE CABLE
This mod should give you a little better throttle response

Supplys Needed
2 cresent wrenches

Firsthen loosen the locknut enough to where you can pull the cable, until their is almost no slack. Next, tighten the adjusting nut so the cable stays put. Your all set! All you need to do is make sure the car does not idle any higher once warm and enjoy the quicker throttle response.

If i used any of your pictures and you do not wish for them to be used please IM me and i will take them off as soon as i can.

SOON TO COME
How to make a front upper strut bar
How to make a rear lower tie bar

Anyone else with some feel free to contribute.

Modified by BLACK DEATH at 10:17 AM 4/10/2003
Old 04-09-2003, 11:57 PM
TheAutoboxer

Default Re: Tips Tricks And How-To's (BLACK DEATH)

nice nice, think im gonna try polishing my valve cover. (sohc d16y7), then just use it on my mini-me. Little the throttle one.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tips Tricks And How-To's (menkio)

adjusting throttle cable: just adjust it so its normal factory specifications, if you make it too tight you can stretch the cable and possibly break it.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tips Tricks And How-To's (Kamin)

Torque specs for the valve cover bolts are 7lb/ft. I learned the hard way.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tips Tricks And How-To's (mycivicstooslow)

valve cover is an intnesive process. Don't come crying back to Honda-Tech.com with complaints that "I've been sanding all day and it still looks like ****!" I started on my old integra last summer, but used my dremmel and a grit of paper that was too course and ended up with this abomination. It's still sitting in the upper-reaches of the garage waiting to be finished:
Old 04-10-2003, 03:00 AM

Default Re: Tips Tricks And How-To's (Quik Chris)

cool man, some nice info
Old 04-10-2003, 04:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLACK DEATH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here are a few how-to's i have done and writen over the past couple months.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ummm...... http://www.teamdelsol.com Did you write the how-to's for them too or did you just cut and paste like this?

Still good how-to's though.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tips Tricks And How-To's (jdmsol)

Old 04-10-2003, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

great how to...
Old 04-10-2003, 05:37 AM

Default Re: (pennies_hatchie)

good stuff.. more por favor.. "bump bump bump"
Old 04-10-2003, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't mean to be a hater but your "aux light mod" makes very little sense. You refer to "new wire" too many times and I'm confused which wire is what?! Time to call wires by colors, etc. ...or better yet let's see a diagram!

And that pic of the engine bay does NOT have a painted valve cover...you may want to change that pic. Its an OE CTR cover.

-ryan
Old 04-10-2003, 08:19 AM
93EH6

Default Re: Tips Tricks And How-To's (riot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't mean to be a hater but your "aux light mod" makes very little sense. You refer to "new wire" too many times and I'm confused which wire is what?! Time to call wires by colors, etc. ...or better yet let's see a diagram!

And that pic of the engine bay does NOT have a painted valve cover...you may want to change that pic. Its an OE CTR cover.

-ryan</TD></TR></TABLE>

With the aux mod i will try to clear that up as soon as i can

About the valve cover i will post a new pic but that is about what it will look like.

And about me copying and pasting it never happened what i did on some of them was i got the original mod from some other web sites and did it then i realized that they had extra things that you didn't need so i re wrote them.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for the aux lite there is a MUCH simpler way, you pull the aux lite switch, and you cut one striped wire, i don't remeber which exactly, i had my del sol a LONG time ago...but that is all you really need, it is basically the wire that prevents the lights from coming on without the headlites (sorry lazy on spelling), then you just pop the switch back in place and there you go independant controll of the aux's
Old 04-10-2003, 09:36 AM
93EH6

Default Re: Tips Tricks And How-To's (RSZero1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RSZero1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for the aux lite there is a MUCH simpler way, you pull the aux lite switch, and you cut one striped wire, i don't remeber which exactly, i had my del sol a LONG time ago...but that is all you really need, it is basically the wire that prevents the lights from coming on without the headlites (sorry lazy on spelling), then you just pop the switch back in place and there you go independant controll of the aux's</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok what actualy prevents it from turning on without the headlights is where its power comes from that is why it needs to be done the way i said so you have a new power source.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:03 AM

i think im going to try my interior lights, but i have the jdm gauges and there already amber you think i should paint them or leave them.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:12 AM
93EH6

Default Re: Tips Tricks And How-To's (b18cInside)

If your cluster is already amber why change it but if your climate control is still white take it out and color those bulbs so everything maches
Old 04-10-2003, 10:15 AM

Modified by BLACK DEATH at 10:17 AM 4/10/2003[/QUOTE]
5. RED GAUGES

Supplys Needed
1. Red Sharpie
2. Philips Screwdriver

1. Take out your gauge cluster. On a del sol there are two screws above the cluster and the three holding it in it is easer if you take the cluster out completly so disconect all the wires.

2. Now with the cluster in your lap start taking out the bulbs that light up the back of the cluster there are some ones that you leave in on the del sols they are the one without the little blue covers on them so take out all the ones with blue covers.

5. Put the bulbs back in and make sure it works and then reinstall the cluster and enjoy your red gauges.

so your saying the lights that have the covers on them those are the ones you paint and the others you don't paint? or are you saying paint all of them with or without the covers?

also what about the 2 lights on the top(i have a 96 civic) do you leave those white with the covers or did you paint those too?
Old 04-10-2003, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess, but that is how i did it, i think i remember tapping a line to a empty fuse spot, that eliminated the switch
Old 04-10-2003, 10:38 AM
93EH6

Default Re: Tips Tricks And How-To's (whitemike1644)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so your saying the lights that have the covers on them those are the ones you paint and the others you don't paint? or are you saying paint all of them with or without the covers?

also what about the 2 lights on the top(i have a 96 civic) do you leave those white with the covers or did you paint those too?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok let me clear this up a little bit the only bulbs that you don't color are the indicator lights all the rest of them that light up the back of the cluster are the ones that you color
Old 04-10-2003, 12:27 PM
93EH6

Can someone give me some suggestions on things to build and write a how to on right now i am working on a upper strut bar but other sugestions would be great.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whitemike1644 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Modified by BLACK DEATH at 10:17 AM 4/10/2003</TD></TR></TABLE>
5. RED GAUGES

Supplys Needed
1. Red Sharpie
2. Philips Screwdriver

so your saying the lights that have the covers on them those are the ones you paint and the others you don't paint? or are you saying paint all of them with or without the covers?

also what about the 2 lights on the top(i have a 96 civic) do you leave those white with the covers or did you paint those too?[/QUOTE]

Maybe thats the case in del sols.
But, in EG, DC and EKs, and pretty sure in EM1s its not the blub, its the color
of the face plate, if you put the face plate up against light, you can see different colors. You need to change those plastics not the blubs.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Tips Tricks And How-To's (sshaikh01)

nice how to's
Old 04-10-2003, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Tips Tricks And How-To's (sshaikh01)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sshaikh01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
5. RED GAUGES

Supplys Needed
1. Red Sharpie
2. Philips Screwdriver

Modified by BLACK DEATH at 10:17 AM 4/10/2003</TD></TR></TABLE>

also what about the 2 lights on the top(i have a 96 civic) do you leave those white with the covers or did you paint those too?[/QUOTE]

Maybe thats the case in del sols.
But, in EG, DC and EKs, and pretty sure in EM1s its not the blub, its the color
of the face plate, if you put the face plate up against light, you can see different colors. You need to change those plastics not the blubs.[/QUOTE]

thats why he says take them off and paint them meaning take off teh plastic colors i have heard from another source thats what you do
Old 04-10-2003, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that was real nice of ya..
great tutorial
Old 04-10-2003, 01:47 PM
93EH6

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats why he says take them off and paint them meaning take off teh plastic colors i have heard from another source thats what you do</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah you take off the little plastic covers and then paint them

Quick Reply: Tips Tricks And How-To's