Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car shuts off

Hey guys i'm new here with my 2000 Honda civic 1600Vtec
I already have problems with my car after 2 days! When i brought the car the owner told me the CEL was on because of heater sensor? Red circle that why the car idle was little jumpy not much so i asked him if it wasnt the map sensor causing it Yellow circle
he said he checked the code but my concern is the CEL light doesn't come on first but it comes on after maybe 5-15 minutes of driving, the car has full power and vtec works but yesterday i was sitting in my car eating while having the car turned on i was going to rev the car little and it dies and i couldnt start it.. I thought i was gas less but after 15 minutes i tried to turn it on and it did i drove immediately home and it worked fine then today i was driving at 95 km/h when my car started to hesitate (like it was gas less) and it turned off and i tried to start it and it didn't but while i was pushing the car to the closest gas station my girlfriend tried to turn it on it started back up and she drove to the gas station 60 meters away from us..

So my question is could my car be out of fuel and my fuel gauge stuck? it was on the last line empty the fuel light didn't come on or could the problem be the red circle in the photo?

The car used to be turbo car but the turbo engine broke down so it was replaced with engine driven only 164.000km the engine was overhauled and inspected and found all to be in top condition, Head was stripped and bought in it new head, head packs,Valve linings, and all packaging, valve doors were also polished.
At this same time there was a timingbelt and inserted into a new clutch installed.

I'm terrible sorry for bad English!
Old 01-24-2014, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Car shuts off

Pull the CEL code(s) yourself to avoid the risk of misinformation.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i tried i found a Wire under glove box blue plug that looks like this http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...g/location.jpg but it's on the other side .. are there two ?
and is the red circle heat sensor ?
Old 01-24-2014, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure of the blue plug under the glove box. Post a close up of that if you can.

The thing circled in yellow is the MAP sensor. The one circled in red is the IAT sensor (Intake air temperature) I believe.

Like Ron said, pull the code yourself and post the results and we'll go from there.

I suppose it is possible to be out of fuel. The fuel gauges in this generation of Civic's are absolutely terrible!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by goldsy
I'm not sure of the blue plug under the glove box. Post a close up of that if you can.

The thing circled in yellow is the MAP sensor. The one circled in red is the IAT sensor (Intake air temperature) I believe.

Like Ron said, pull the code yourself and post the results and we'll go from there.

I suppose it is possible to be out of fuel. The fuel gauges in this generation of Civic's are absolutely terrible!
I will get close up soon I put in the gas tank today 20 liters i'll see if it does this again if not i'm betting on the fuel gauge, So common problem on those cars are the fuel gauges?
The plug is the yellow one and the ECU is the red one if im not mistaking.

The plug

ECU

Last edited by hondab16iceland; 01-24-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Pictures added
Old 01-25-2014, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 01-25-2014, 03:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The blue plug should have a brown and black wire going into it. All you do is jumper it with the ignition in the off position and then turn it to the on position and count the flashes.

For ease I also usually record it with my phone in case I miss something and I can go back to check again without jumpering it to pulling codes again.

Don't forget to remove your jumper after...
Old 01-26-2014, 03:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JoeBlue
The blue plug should have a brown and black wire going into it. All you do is jumper it with the ignition in the off position and then turn it to the on position and count the flashes.

For ease I also usually record it with my phone in case I miss something and I can go back to check again without jumpering it to pulling codes again.

Don't forget to remove your jumper after...

I tried to jump it didn't work .. any other ideas?
Old 01-26-2014, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From your first post, it states that it throws a code 5-15 mins when you are driving. If that still happens, pull over with the car still on (do not shutoff the car), jumper the wires and read the code thats being thrown. That should work
Old 01-26-2014, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fknfastintegra
From your first post, it states that it throws a code 5-15 mins when you are driving. If that still happens, pull over with the car still on (do not shutoff the car), jumper the wires and read the code thats being thrown. That should work

Thank you will do !
Old 01-26-2014, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Your picture shows the ABS control unit ontop of the ECU. What is the ECU code?
Old 01-27-2014, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Will check it out later today