Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

timing belt tensioner, can i tighten it up while the timing belt cover and stuff is still on there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt tensioner, can i tighten it up while the timing belt cover and stuff is still on there?

Ok, I figured out why my car wasn't starting, it seems as tho my tensioner came loose. and this is after i already got the engine in the car and drove it five miles. So now i can't get the crank pulley bolt off, so i'm kinda stuck. But i noticed that there is a little black cap that can pop off of the lower timing belt cover which reveals the tensioner bolt, now can i just tighten this little baby up, after i get it all back in time and stuff and not remove the crank pulley bolt and all that stuff, thanks guys.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: timing belt tensioner, can i tighten it up while the timing belt cover and stuff is still on the

Ok lets start buy saying that no and yes about tigtning the tensioner while the cover is on, it may seem easy but this process can be complex, no, because i should just take the cover off wich is not to hard to do and see if any teeth are missing on the timing belt, plus it will be waaaaay easyer to take the plastic cover off, the job will get done faster that way, any wayz be carefull when cranking the motor cause if ur belt is loose like u say then in the process of cranking the motor u have 90% chance that you are un adjusting your timing wich can cause the valves to bend and also if u are having this timing belt problem them most likely you need a new one cause there is a good posibility that your timing belt is streched, *** for taking the crank pulley off i would defnitly recomend using air tools if u dont have air tools then keep on lubing it up with wd40 and if that does not work, buy a torch and sit there for a while till the bolt is red hot and them loosen it up