Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt question

im in the middle of putting a fresh d16y7 head in my civic and i slid the timing belt off and i cant get it to slide back over the cam to save my life so i was wondering

Whats the fastest way to get the timing belt back over the cam gear im going to go attempt it again in a couple hours
Old 11-02-2011, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: timing belt question

Good morning!
just a few questions:
do you have the crank pulley, lower timing cover etc off or did you just slide the belt off?

if you just slid the belt off you have to take the crank pulley off and the timing cover, and loosen off the tensionner, put the crank at tdc, cam at tdc, put the head on and then install in this order:
Crank gear -> tensionner -> water pump -> camshaft

re-check your timing, adjust the tension, rotate the engine 4-5 times (CCW) re-check timing (trust me its worth the 2 minutes) and re-install.

this is straight from the s/m

i highly recommend you buy or download one, amazing what you can learn (not kidding or being sarcastic)

btw:
your crank pulley bolt torque is 134 ft/lbs
Old 11-02-2011, 06:23 AM
20% cooler

I had that problem when I pulled my head. I put a long socket extension in the hole of the cam gear to guide it, then and pried the cam gear with a mini prybar up against the power steering bracket till it slid over. It probably isn't good for your motor but it does work. Only reason I did it was I didn't have the tools to get the crank pulley off.
If you have the crank pulley off, just use the tensioner.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch
Good morning!
just a few questions:
do you have the crank pulley, lower timing cover etc off or did you just slide the belt off?

if you just slid the belt off you have to take the crank pulley off and the timing cover, and loosen off the tensionner, put the crank at tdc, cam at tdc, put the head on and then install in this order:
Crank gear -> tensionner -> water pump -> camshaft

re-check your timing, adjust the tension, rotate the engine 4-5 times (CCW) re-check timing (trust me its worth the 2 minutes) and re-install.

this is straight from the s/m

i highly recommend you buy or download one, amazing what you can learn (not kidding or being sarcastic)

btw:
your crank pulley bolt torque is 134 ft/lbs
i dont have a tourqe wrench that goes past 80 ft poundsdam and yes i just slid it off
Old 11-02-2011, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thenext
I had that problem when I pulled my head. I put a long socket extension in the hole of the cam gear to guide it, then and pried the cam gear with a mini prybar up against the power steering bracket till it slid over. It probably isn't good for your motor but it does work. Only reason I did it was I didn't have the tools to get the crank pulley off.
If you have the crank pulley off, just use the tensioner.
tell me more? i dont fully understand but i trird liftig the felt on i always couldnt get it past like the last 5 teeth
Old 11-02-2011, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?
Old 11-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the accuracy of the tdc mark on the crank pulley is questionable at best and changes with the angle you are looking at it from, therefore i would say it is very possible to be one or a few teeth off using this method. i would strongly suggest you borrow a torque wrench and do it right or you may bend a valve in that fresh head of yours.

however, i am trying to help so ill say that you can probably pop the tensionner cap off and actually loosen the tensionner and try to slide the belt on that way. it's likely a bolt with a 14mm head.

good luck!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch
the accuracy of the tdc mark on the crank pulley is questionable at best and changes with the angle you are looking at it from, therefore i would say it is very possible to be one or a few teeth off using this method. i would strongly suggest you borrow a torque wrench and do it right or you may bend a valve in that fresh head of yours.

however, i am trying to help so ill say that you can probably pop the tensionner cap off and actually loosen the tensionner and try to slide the belt on that way. it's likely a bolt with a 14mm head.

good luck!
thanks ill see if i can reach the cap