Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

time for a new radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default time for a new radiator?

I found out today that i have a slow coolant leak. Its not as bad is it was a month ago when i replaced the radiator cap (was leakign about 4kish RPM) but in a month the coolant has gone from the max line to the min line. The engine doesnt smoke and other wise runs fine (i think, im not sure how the power is suppost to be, im new to hondas) I havnt done a compression test yet, picking up the gauge next payday... however, i have noticed this... sludge? around the top of the radiator:

Old 04-15-2011, 02:16 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: time for a new radiator?

Oh yeah. The plastic top is starting to separate. It's been my experience that if you wait to fix this it will come back and bite you just as you were about to take care of it.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats what i figrued. what would be a suggested replacement... I have been going with the, "as it breaks, upgrade"... and i am looking to boost down the road
Old 04-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got all aluminum radiators off ebay for about $110 shipped. That was about 1-2 years ago.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone else? i usually only use ebay as a last resort, but i do liek the idea of an all aluminum one, so this doesnt happen again
Old 04-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

look for a good deal on a mishimoto aluminum radiator. i'm running an ebay radiator i got half a year ago...giving me a problems already....and the drain plug broke for it as well on first use..(f*%K ebay parts..)
Old 04-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can get good name brand stuff thru ebay. anyway go with a mishimoto radiator I have one and have had no problems with it. have friends that have you ebay radiators with no problems but and extra $50-75 for a mishi puts my mind at rest. got my radiator thru ebay btw
Old 04-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, looks like all the mishimotos are for manuals, i currently have an auto. But Im doing an auto to manual swap in the next month or so (i already ordered most of the parts from someone off the site, just need the 2 mounts, flywheel, clutch kit and bolts). what do you think are the odds of this holding together for say.. 3 months to be on the safe side... i drive between 200 and 300 miles a week. I would rather not have to buy the trans cooler if i dont have to.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

radiators keep yur engine cool. got nothing to do with yur tranny. maybe the lower hose is different shaped with a auto than a manual but the radiators should be no different
Old 04-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the autos have a built in trans cooler. I have 2 transmission lines hooked into the bottom of mine. There is also a note on the bottum of most of the pages that sell the mishi

This item is for Manual Transmission vehicles. For automatic applications, please purchase optional Mishimoto transmission cooler (P/N: MMTC-U)
Old 04-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok gotcha. well maybe just give yur rad a flush out for now and replace your coolant and watch it until you do the swap. then get the mishi. that way yur not buying 2 radiators
Old 04-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just an idea
Old 04-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just hit up your local auto parts store for an aftermarket stock replacement. they're all universal and come with the autotrans cooler and work fine
Old 04-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCRB
Just hit up your local auto parts store for an aftermarket stock replacement. they're all universal and come with the autotrans cooler and work fine
with the stock replacement, will it keep up with a boosted motor? it would just be one less thing i have to replace down the road
Old 04-16-2011, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't see why not, it's not like your car is going to run that much hotter because it's boosted, i was under the impression that people rock stock radiators on boosted cars all the time
Old 04-16-2011, 04:11 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you only need it for a few months pick up a good used stock rad. The rad you have is toast though, it's not going to last a few months.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If, you planned on keeping it automatic, you can find aftermarket aluminum radiators for automatics on ebay. No, I don't know how good/bad they might be but I've seen them on there. A new stock one would be good unless you're set on going with aluminum.

Another option, depending on your budget is to go to a local radiator shop and tell them what you're looking for and see if they have any suggestions.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sheessh that thing is finished. Replace it asap before you start to overheat the motor and end you wrapping the head or block
Old 04-16-2011, 07:40 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Bought a stock replacement radiator off of Ebay for the wife's hatch that had the connections you're looking for. 3 years and still holding up. About $50.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive only had this car for 2 months... ant i think that has always been there. Ihad over heating issues with my last vehicle, so i always keep an eye on the temp gauge, and so far it had never reached the center. But thanks for all the help... Im going to try and track down a used one, then buy the mishi when i do the tranny swap.

While i have the system open, im goign to go ahead and change the t-stat and hoses because i have no idea how old they are. I remember reading somewhere that the aftermarket t-stats are crap and to get an oem one. but what about the upper and lower hoses? will just ones from autozone work fine?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by vartok
Ive only had this car for 2 months... ant i think that has always been there
It's a Denso rad, so it's probably original, they tend to last a long time.

Originally Posted by vartok
I remember reading somewhere that the aftermarket t-stats are crap and to get an oem one. but what about the upper and lower hoses? will just ones from autozone work fine?
OEM thermostat is definitely the way to go, no questions asked. Hoses? I've found Dayco don't seen to fit as nice, they almost seem a little too big and require gear style hose clamps, never tried any other brands. OEM hoses don't cost that much btw.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll comment on this radiator thing, only from my own personal experiences though.

As its already been said, your current radiator is toast. I have friends and other Family members with Civic that are all running advance auto parts replacement radiators without any problems. The advanced radiators will come with the Auto tranny cooler and the line nipples. If you have a 5spd you just simply leave them capped off. If you have an auto, you hook your lines to them.

The only advanced radiator I have had issues with was the last one I bought, after only a few months the top plastic started seeping and the cracked.

I then just wanted to buy a radiator that had no top cap..all aluminum was the route I looked. I didn't want to spend high prices on name brand stuff. After all..its just a radiator.

I bought a dual core all aluminum radiator off ebay. I am not a fan of ebay parts..but I figured I would be ok with just a radiator.

I can't speak for any other Ebay Radiators out there, I can however speak for the one I bought. First off, it didn't fit correctly. The hood would not shut. After working with it for awhile I got it to fit and the hood to shut without issues.

After getting it filled with coolant. I noticed the drain plug leaking. The factory plug was garbage. I got another bolt, wrapped it in teflon tape and it still seeped. Found another bolt and finally it quit leaking. Not long after I installed it, on a cold morning I was stopped and noticed steam coming out from under the front of my hood. I got out and checked it out. A weld seam on the top was not completely finished and was seeping coolant. I had to clean this really well and apply JB Weld to it. It not longer leaks. The radiator cap is GARBAGE as the spring in it rusted and put rust throughout my coolant system.

Cliff Note? If I had it to do over again I would have spent the money on a quality unit. Mine is now fine and leak free..cools like it should but the headache to get it here was just total bullshit.

If ebay Radiators are trash..what do you think there Turbochargers are?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
The advanced radiators will come with the Auto tranny cooler and the line nipples. If you have a 5spd you just simply leave them capped off. If you have an auto, you hook your lines to them.
Really?! They must've changed their supplier b/c the one I bought required transferring the cooler nipples from the stock rad.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get new aftermarket one for 80 bucks at advanced auto why buy used?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Summit racing may have an all aluminum rad that will fit your vehicle.

Quick Reply: time for a new radiator?