Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ticket for tinting

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticket for tinting

got pulled over and ticketed because my front windows are tinted. the tint is really, really light. but then again its tinted. i bought the car with the windows already tinted. chp guy told me the front windows can't be tinted at all. but i've heard it can be as long as the people inside are still visible. anyone with more info on this? and also, how hard is it to take off the tint? thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ticket for tinting

idk about cali but i got popped for tint in de and the cop told me anything on a window will fail it, meaning they check it with a meter and a stock window =xx number and even the lightest tint will fail it.

only way around is a doctors note atleast here in de.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My sister's bf is CHP, he said in California it's illegal to have any form of Tint, alot of people think that if they can see you a little through it then it's ok, it's not he said, Unless you have solid proof that you need the tint because of a medical condition with a Dr's note then you can't have it.

The front windows are easy to take off using either Ammonia or lots of windex and a razor blade, make sure you take off your door panel because the chemicals might stain your panels.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Vietnamese!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You talking about driver and passenger side window or front windshield?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Vietnamese!

I never had a problem but you said yours was light,as long as you can see your face then you are fine.It also depends on how much an a** the cops are too.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Vietnamese!

Originally Posted by tribexEJ1
My sister's bf is CHP, he said in California it's illegal to have any form of Tint, alot of people think that if they can see you a little through it then it's ok, it's not he said, Unless you have solid proof that you need the tint because of a medical condition with a Dr's note then you can't have it.

The front windows are easy to take off using either Ammonia or lots of windex and a razor blade, make sure you take off your door panel because the chemicals might stain your panels.
Your probably right and it also depends on the cop if they want to give you a fix it ticket.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can not have the front windows tinted doing so you are in risk of a ticket you can either fix it and pay the fix it ticket or just pay the fine and move on..if you do keep the tint make sure you drive with the windows downs
Old 03-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALLxMOTOR EG
Your probably right and it also depends on the cop if they want to give you a fix it ticket.
True, it all depends on the cop, if he's a Everything by the Rules type of cop then he will pull you over, but see, my friend has limo tint on his G35 all around, he never gets pulled over even if cops are next to him, I think if they see a car like a G35 then it's expected of them to have Tint, because its a Sports/Luxury vehicle, and if its a Honda then we ust be up to no good lol. I don't know.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

illegal to have tint on the front 2 side windows. windshield can have a 3" banner from the top. I think cali needs to do some thinking on their part. Tinted windows can be a safety device. If you crash, the tint will keep the shattered glass together and reduce the chances of injury due to glass shards.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Move...ha ha. I thought tinting laws were gay in Washington. Tell the Cop to go do his job...when is the last time you saw accident caused by too dark of tint? Never. Or carry some extra doughnuts in your car. Sorry, I have zero tolerance for cops because they have zero tolerance for everyone.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Noodler
illegal to have tint on the front 2 side windows. windshield can have a 3" banner from the top. I think cali needs to do some thinking on their part. Tinted windows can be a safety device. If you crash, the tint will keep the shattered glass together and reduce the chances of injury due to glass shards.
+1000 on the tinted windows being a safety device. I flipped my last car that had tints all the way around, and there would of been much more shattered glass in my skin if it weren't for the tints, most of it stayed stuck to the tints.

But in CA its illegal to have the fronts tinted at all. I live in the ghetto in SF and I see the ghetto people with 22's on there Buick's pulled over with 20% tints on the front. They are just asking for it, Id pull em off and just suck it up, not worth the money in tickets.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can also remove the tint with a heat gun, that would definitely be easier than using chemicals and having to pull off your door panels. Or you could also just park the car in the sun on a really hot sunny day and that should heat the gleu from the tint up enought that it should come off easily. I would still recommend having a razor blade and some glass cleaner on hand to clean up any residue that is left over.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well here you go the cali tinting laws, http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/
Old 03-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a BS ticket, its true no tint on the front regardless but some cops are cool with it. taking it of its easy buy this product called goo off it works really good just get a towel get it wet and apply to tint on the edges, with a knife start peeling off the tint were it begins, and as you peel off rub the towel on the exposed glue and continue to do it till it comes off. you can buy it at any auto parts store, kragen autozone even walmart has it
Old 03-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah like he said heat gun will work well but you will still need to be careful not to get too close to your panels or any paint. 3M makes a really good adhesive remover that works good too, i have done it before in dead winter. What you do is pull the tint of then spray the 3M spray onto the window rub it around a little and the razor blade will take it off like butter. Then just windex it and your good to go.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:29 PM

dude that **** sucks cops are dicks around the Memphis TN area but they dont give a **** about the tint they to worried about all the pot around here and street racing but they still dont do anything about any of the crap anyways they dont care
Old 03-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cops are bored. I thought that was bogus until I saw you lived in CA. Apparently they are pretty strict there.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can have up to 70% tint on the front driver and passenger side windows in california. 70% is EXTREMELY light, I personnaly have never seen a shop carry it because its so light. The lightest I've seen is 50% can most people wouldn't even notice it on a car.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so the CA tint law states 70% tint is still legal for the front windows. is there any way to measure the % of tint i have? mine is really really light. its almost like the factory tints for some BMW's.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Noodler
windshield can have a 3" banner from the top.
my buddy got a ticket for this...nor cal
Old 03-14-2009, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/ it got some good info on there.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tunerkid7
my buddy got a ticket for this...nor cal
was it 3 inches, or 4 according to that site? they will be a dick about it if they can. you can fight that ticket if its in legal measurements. ticketassassin.com

1999 tint laws, that 10 years old, im sure they added new regulations for more revenue.

35% tint, no front side windows, 3" instead of 4"
Old 03-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a ticket for tinted windows many years ago and just paid the fine instead of taking the tint off.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tinting laws are for the protection of police officers.... so they can see whats going on inside your car when they come up to your window.... if you dont like the laws that protect the people trying to protect u then get the f**k off the road.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a ticket for tint a couple months ago. if you can prove its not obstructing of your view, then more power to you, but here in cali it is illegal for you to have tint on the front 2 windows.

Quick Reply: ticket for tinting