Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ticket for tinted windows

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticket for tinted windows

I was pulled over by a police officer because my front two windows were tinted too dark. I drive a four door lx and the ticket is just for the front two windows which are tinted at 35%,charchol black. Has any one else had this problem? As far as window tinting goes this is not to dark. My back windows and rear window are at 20% and alltought the back two windows are not leagal the cop didnt not bother me about them. This is the second time i got pulled over for tinted windows, but the first time i got a ticket. I know that by adding things to my civic such as window tint and rims will only draw attention to my car but i geuss thats what i was looking for. Im planning on plaeding innocent this is the frist ticket i ever got. Just any advice?
Old 04-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ticket for tinted windows (waveman86)

what year is your car?

I don't know about other states but here in Wyoming it's legal to have (I think) 27% on the front
35% is definitely legal

There was also a loophole in the law that if your car is older than 95 and had tinted windows previously, you didn't have to take the tint off no matter what percent it is!
I have 20% all around and have never been bothered but I also live in the middle of nowhere as you can tell
Old 04-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in almost all states if 35 percent tint should be legal on the front windows.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the film is illegal in your state (which yours is), pleading innocent isn't going to help you.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:07 PM

I work at a tint shop and i know for a fact that in our city that ANYTHING on the front windows is illegal, whether it be 5% or 50%. Some states are ****** about it, some would care less.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Re: (sohc_coupe24)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc_coupe24 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I work at a tint shop and i know for a fact that in our city that ANYTHING on the front windows is illegal, whether it be 5% or 50%. Some states are ****** about it, some would care less.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah that's for all of CA too. Not sure about other states...I wouldnt be surprised if we were the strictest of all as usual.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In some states you can even tint your windshield (Nevada, f'rinstance) some other only allow light factory tinting on driver's and passengers windows, no aftermarket film of any kind. The rest offer something in between. Check your local laws. If they don't allow film, or allow film but lighter than what you have, you're screwed.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:24 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Default Re: (manntis)

In Illinois, you can't have any tint on the front sides. Laws vary by state.

I notice you're from New York.
This site: http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html says that you can't have less than 70% on the front sides.

This site: http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/ says that you can't have any tint at all in New York.

I'm not sure which one is right. Either way, 35% on the front sides seems to be illegal in your state. Maybe someone at the DMV or inspection station can tell you for sure.

Get used to getting pulled over. I bought my car with illegal tint about 3 years ago, and I get pulled over about 3 times a year for it. I keep saying that if I ever get a ticket, I'll pull it off.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dang that sucks if u cant have tint on the front windows. in the summer, u toasted in the car.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:54 AM

guys when you get pulled over put ALL your windows down right away my old mans a cop and it really helps, oh and both hands on the wheel at the top until they ask for all your **** dl, registration, blah blah, i got limo's i think 7% havent had a problem
Old 04-26-2006, 09:03 AM

in ca front side windows and windshield are illegal to tint
Old 04-26-2006, 12:46 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Default Re: (92egb16bst)

Yeah, I always roll my windows down as soon as I get pulled over, but usually that's the reason they pulled me over to begin with.

The first thing they always ask me is 'Son, can you roll up your window about an inch?"
Old 04-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Vindicator9000)

IF you state does not allow any than you have no way out.

But how did the officer know the tint was too dark???

If your state does allow some tint, fight the ticket, a cop cannot tell by eye what tint percentage it is.

Some police carry light meters they hold up to the inside of the window to know how much light it is letting through. Its like an ehaust, they cannot tell by ear (unless the law is written that way) unles they have a decible meter with them.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (mike1114)

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_C...6.pdf

OP, if you're in NY, you better strip that off before your court date. It looks like anything under 70% (pretty much UV protetion only, no real tint) is illegal on a car there. And as far as the loophole listed above regarding the year of the car, that could work (I'm not a lawyer so not 100% sure on that), but the law was enacted in 1991 in NY, so if you're driving an eg or newer, you're SOL. Shitty, but that's the law.

Modified by IHateJDM at 4:31 PM 4/26/2006
Old 04-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And as far as the loophole listed above regarding the year of the car, that could work (I'm not a lawyer so not 100% sure on that), but the law was enacted in 1991 in NY, so if you're driving an eg or newer, you're SOL. Shitty, but that's the law.</TD></TR></TABLE>

removable aftermarket stuff is rarely covered under ''grandfather clauses" when the DMV changes regs. Like if they suddenly require front plates, but hadn't before, you can't say your car predates that law so you don't need a front plate bracket. They'll make you get one.

Aftermarket tint isn't covered by when the car was made for the same reason. It's not factory installed and is 'easily' applied/removed. The only tinting covered by grandfather clauses is typically when the glass is dip-tinted before being installed at the factory.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: (posite)

I know 35% is the legal tint in Washington. I however have 5% tint, I've gotton pulled over a few times for it, but no tickets. Take it to court. You should win.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: (JDM-EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take it to court. You should win.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but what is your basis for stating this? It has already been shown that NY does not allow anything greater than 70% light transmission (which is the typical factory "tint" on automotive side glass). If he was given a ticket for having film installed when none is permitted, what grounds would he have to win the case upon?
Old 04-27-2006, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Padawan)

usually if you have to go to court you will lose, unless the officer was wrong about what percentage your tint is. I have 5% tint where 35% is darkest allowed (TN), and have never been pulled over for it. I have a friend that lives in a city where the cops are more strict with 18%, he got a ticket, and they made him strip it off.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IHateJDM)

Ok for real, i have 5 percent all around except windshield, duh. I got pulled over once due to my ignorance of driving by a highway patrol car. He has nothing better to do than fill his quota and expletive with a honda.

Solution? open your ******* eyes and look for cops, as soon as a cop in anywhere near you, or in a place where they normally are cruising, say MAIN or CENTRAL or whatever street, roll them down.

AND (With manual windows) have the horseshoe off at all times, and put the handle back on with a piece of puddy, GUM, anything. It will stay there. Then take off the handle and hide in a pouch under the seat if a cop pulls you over

Then you cant exactly "roll up your window, son" It just aint worth it to go with clear *** sun blinding windows, wasting a/c, letting people look in your car at the nice stereo you own while u are parked.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:04 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by waveman86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any advice?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah. Remove the illegal tint from your front windows. You'll be guaranteed to win.

If you don't, you're guaranteed to lose. It's that simple.

Been there, done that.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Re: ticket for tinted windows (Targa250R)

I was talking to a cop someone brought to a party one time and asked him about pulling people over for tinted windows and he said that the only time a cop would pull you over for tint is if the cop is having a shitty day or really just wants to *** with you.

btw, this is in STL Missouri
Old 04-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ticket for tinted windows (Michler)

I got one, too. I just payed the ticket, it was like $50. I also removed my tint. Oh yea and I got a memorandom for no front plate.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yeah. Remove the illegal tint from your front windows. You'll be guaranteed to win.

If you don't, you're guaranteed to lose. It's that simple.

Been there, done that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That will probably work, but remember he took a reading of it.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is mississippi they use to not have a law... but now to get an inspection sicker it's 37% now... and everyone has a year to get the new imspection sticker then they are giving tickets...

on my accord now... i don thave to et a imspection sticker until like almost end of 06... i have 2% allt he way around and my front winshield is tinted 12inch down on top and 3 inches up from the bottom.... cant see in at all day or night.. or with a MAG light lol....
Old 04-28-2006, 12:24 AM

check your state dmv rules and regulations. i found out before gettin mine done that oregon law is nothing lower than 35% on the driver and passenger windows, and no tint on the front windshield (unless its a tint strip at the top). i've got a coupe so i did 35% on the front two sides and 20% on the back and back sides quarter glass. haven't had any problems yet. sucks you got a ticket man...
Old 04-28-2006, 12:26 AM

Default Re: ticket for tinted windows (SpOoLiNg CiViC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpOoLiNg CiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here is mississippi they use to not have a law... but now to get an inspection sicker it's 37% now... and everyone has a year to get the new imspection sticker then they are giving tickets...

on my accord now... i don thave to et a imspection sticker until like almost end of 06... i have 2% allt he way around and my front winshield is tinted 12inch down on top and 3 inches up from the bottom.... cant see in at all day or night.. or with a MAG light lol....</TD></TR></TABLE>

2%? So you basically spray-painted your windows flat black? It's impossible to see through 5% from the outside, so any lower than that and you're just decreasing your own visibility.