Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

throttle gets stuck in EX motor *searched*

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle gets stuck in EX motor *searched*

hi,

i am having trouble with the throttle on my D16Z6 engine... whenever i press the gas pedal or move the throttle by hand in the engine bay, it gets stuck and doesnt come back unless u apply force to physically push it back into place with your hand. I soaked it with WD40 about 3 times... PB Blaster a couple of times more... it showed a tiny improvement... but it still gets stuck and its making the car undrivable...

i searched and found people wiht this problem but no solution was ever given that helps... anyone have this problem before? anyone kno what could b causing this?

thanx in advanced!
Old 12-04-2003, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: throttle gets stuck in EX motor *searched* (rody084)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rody084 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hi,

i am having trouble with the throttle on my D16Z6 engine... whenever i press the gas pedal or move the throttle by hand in the engine bay, it gets stuck and doesnt come back unless u apply force to physically push it back into place with your hand. I soaked it with WD40 about 3 times... PB Blaster a couple of times more... it showed a tiny improvement... but it still gets stuck and its making the car undrivable...

i searched and found people wiht this problem but no solution was ever given that helps... anyone have this problem before? anyone kno what could b causing this?

thanx in advanced!</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have access to a solevant tank, I would soak it in there for a few hours. That should loosen up the majority of the debris. There could also be a burr that is catching the throttle plate of the the shaft for the throttle plate. Take it apart and inspect each piece very well. Use some B12 chemtool carb/parts cleaner to help remove the debris. WD40 doesn't make that good of a cleaner compared to B12.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your floor mats! i have a 97 ex and my floor mat used to get stuck holding the pedal done... pretty scary. Recall fixed the problem they just put a little clip holding it in place, if that isnt it i would take out the throtlle cable (just the cable itself) and grease it up then slide it right back in
Old 12-04-2003, 12:21 PM

Default Re: throttle gets stuck in EX motor *searched* (shaun311)

I would just buy some gum solve carb cleaner(SPRAY) and spray out the t-body and trys to wipe it out with a lint free towel. make sure u spray and wipe the butterfly plate also. that should fix your problem. i dont see any reason to pull the throttle boy all the way off unless this cheap fix dosnt work.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shaun311 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check your floor mats! i have a 97 ex and my floor mat used to get stuck holding the pedal done... pretty scary. Recall fixed the problem they just put a little clip holding it in place, if that isnt it i would take out the throtlle cable (just the cable itself) and grease it up then slide it right back in</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I have 98 Civic floormats in my 93 Ej1 and sometimes when the floormat slides up and i hit the gas, the pedal gets stuck under it... Is there anyway to put the "clip" in a 92-95 civic?
Old 12-04-2003, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to narrow down what part is causing the problem-throttle plate sticking,throttle cable sticking,or pedal sticking.....unhook the cable from the TB and see if the it still sticks when turning it by hand.if not,also unhook the cable from the pedal assembly(get up under the dash-it's pretty self-explanatory),and see if it sticks by itself....if both the TB and cable are okay on their own,it's got to be in the pedal assembly.make sure it's not digging into the carpet or floormat and hanging.
chris
Old 12-04-2003, 03:17 PM

Default Re: throttle gets stuck in EX motor *searched* (TeamNextGenChris)

sorry i should have been more clear... i know for a fact that its the part where the spring is...because i turn it by hand and the cable is loose and it gets stuck until i push it by hand back into place... its not the pedal or the cable...

i am gonna try takin sum carb cleaner to the butterfly plate and anywhere i see carb buildups then i'll post back and let u all know how it went
Old 12-04-2003, 03:18 PM

Default Re: throttle gets stuck in EX motor *searched* (TeamNextGenChris)

Get this....my friend had a 92 prelude with an aem cai and bypass valve. One days he's driving and the accelerator gets stuck, almost crashed. Looked around, couldnt figure it out. Takes the intake off the tb, and theres a piece of foam that came from the inside layer of foam on the bypass valve stuck around the plate in the tb. I love AEM, this is the first bad thing with them i've ever come across....but check to see if there isn't anything in the tb...
Old 12-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: throttle gets stuck in EX motor *searched* (ninety3EX)

What the dealer did was... first the put a rivet type thing in my mat with a hole in it, the im guessing the took the driver seat out, but the cut a slot in the rug and bolt this thing somehow (a screw or its connected to the driver seat left bolt) its loos like this "L" come out of the rug... so it would be

O---L
^hole in mat hooking onto the bracket. sorry for my ghetto drawing but you get the idea
Old 12-04-2003, 06:49 PM

thanks for the info, will deffinately try to find more info on this