Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help..

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help..

well i got a 95 civic hatch with an r motor and the goodies, but ievc always been fond of rwd. ive been getitng bs tickets lately, and am growing a bit tired of getting hassled by cops. so ive been thinking about selling the civic and gettin a miata. leaving the motor stock so i wont be able to go that fast but spend a bunch on suspension. what do u guys think? any info, tech stuff? thanks
Old 10-16-2002, 10:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help.. (Rratedcivichatch)

Do it.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help.. (tonyxcom)

plz dont. If I had a B18C5 and thought about getting a miata id shoot myself.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help.. (Rratedcivichatch)

I hear the Miatas handle very well stock so you would have a very good-handling car, but I'm not sure you'll get a positive response on this board.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help.. (mycivicstooslow)

yea, u wont get positive feedback at a honda forum. try http://www.bitch-cars.com
jk
Old 10-16-2002, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help.. (lilxvtecxpwr)

Get the Miata.

A friend is leading the CSP class at NASA here in his.

It has very few mods, but it just ******* rips. It's great.

I think a Miata will probably be in my future as well.

Old 10-16-2002, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help.. (Mojo-Jojo)

Miatas are nice.
Light, rwd, handle great stock, and good aftermarket support.

The only negative thing I can think about it is the "girlie car" image.
But lets face it, if we let public image decide what car we bought, none of us would be driving hondas.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:08 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help.. (Mojo-Jojo)

rwd

miata

I drove my friends "company car" and it was a blast. fun little car stock, put a lil money into some better suspension component and give it a lil more power , JR supercharger maybe and you'd have a fun lil beast.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:23 PM
Don't Trust Anyone

Default Re: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help.. (J T)

I had fun riding with a guy driving a Miata at a Drift event at Irwindale speedway held by Signal Auto....but if you are tall, they arent really fun to ride in. So very small inside.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:33 AM

Go for it. Some may call them girls cars, but I think they have a lot of potential.
But to leave the engine stock?!? Come on, man; Flyin' Miata has a turbo kit with your name on it
Old 10-17-2002, 04:13 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help.. (uncivilCivicinprogress)

Do whatever you want. Personally I 'd move to another state before getting a miata.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help.. (2 B 4GO10)

go for it, Miatas are wicked cars from a performace standpoint.

if you want more power it is as simple as the honda folks do it, turbo or supercharge or motorswap (ever seen the 5.0 V8 mustang swap in a miata?)

I, too have thought about it, and a few of my friends have already gone this route and are VERY pleased with the lack of attention and hassle. Who would think a miata could have a $2000 race suspension in it? Not many think it would, so there arent many worries about theft.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:30 AM

I recently sold a 1991 Miata and bought a 2000 Civic Si. The Miata was a really basic car and around 500 lbs. lighter than the Civic.

The Civic is much more comfortable than the Miata was, but a newer Miata would be closer to the Civic in comfort.

If both cars are close to stock, the Miata will handle better. With aftermarket parts, either car could be faster.

Not surprisingly, the Miata's engine felt like it had more torque than the B16A. The B16A has way more high end horsepower.

Basically, both are really entertaining cars.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:49 AM

Default Re: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help.. (yobtah)

My sister has a Miata (92, I think). Anyways, I think that they are awesome little cars, RWD is excellent. Peppy engine, loads of aftermarket, can be made very fast and not so much of a target as Hondas. The only drawbacks I saw were 1) it is a little car....I had a hard time fitting comfortably in it and I'm 6'0", 175lbs. Not enough legroom or headroom with the top up. Oh, and I dislike ragtops too - IMO they're too easy to vandalize and tend to leak more and are noisier.

All in all, go with what you want to do. I'm sure you'd be happy in the Miata (though you may need some power adders to match the R engine!) and you'll be less likely to be hassled.....of course if you happen to drive like a maniac, you'll get hassled anyways!

Steve
Old 10-17-2002, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help.. (stevecockrill)

hey buddy, I sold my 91 Integra LS to buy a 91 miata the spring of 2000. I can't tell you how much I love this miata. I got bored driving my FWD Integra after 9 years. Don't get me wrong. Honda engine and handling is great. Their engine technology is just superior. With that said let me tell you about the Miata. #1. It has the look of a classic roadster. When you sit in it, it feels like a totally different type of car. a sports car from the ground up. #2 The tight cabin fits you like a glove. When you take a corner it feels like a gocart. #3 Miata is all about driving enjoyment. you won't go as fast as your Civic but you'll have a smile plaster on your face when you take a fast cruve with the top down and your rear end slide out as you counter steers to keep it in line. Somthing you can't get with a FWD car. E-mail me with any question at all.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:01 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

If you're going to do it then you'd better make it better than your Civic.

If I was buying a Miata I'd get the cheapest, lightest oldest model possible and then swap in the bigger 1.8L motor with the 6-speed from the M Edition is it? Don't rip on me if I'm missing some details - I'm a Honda guy first, so my Mazda tech could be iffy.

Then I'd throw a turbo on it and some kick-*** sus and brakes. I just could not get such a neato little car and not make it bad-***.

...This is not to say I would ever sell my Civic for a Miata, but I'm just saying if I'm going to do up any car I'll do it right.

Old 10-17-2002, 07:22 AM
Team Purple

well i got a 95 civic hatch with an r motor and the goodies---- ive been thinking about selling the civic and gettin a miata. leaving the motor stock so i wont be able to go that fast but spend a bunch on suspension.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:27 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help.. (HondaRacer2681)

Oh yeah and tickets aren't your CAR's fault - they are YOUR fault.

Slow down y0!
Old 10-17-2002, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help.. (tonyxcom)

Do it.
what Tony said.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:01 AM

i have a friend that has a convertable miata with all stock motor and a t28 turbo that is putting down 250whp. has had the turbo on forever and never any problems. he runs 13.5's. just incase you want to be fast again
Old 10-17-2002, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help.. (1abSi)

yea i would consider it, in reality i would try and find one for dirt cheap and rebuild it, then have both cars. but miatas get my humble stamp of approval
Old 10-17-2002, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help.. (Chronicsinners)

I have a my hatch with the 1.8 and one of my parents' cars is a 99 miata. I like driving the Miata A LOT MORE than the hatch. My hatch's handling isn't that good cuz it's slammed but the Miata is great, performance wise it's not even close to my hatch (straight line), i've raced my dad a bunch of times, no chance but it's a great car. You get the right attention too, not the cops but the girlies haha, i am joking, but you get the idea

Overall, i WOULD take a Miata over the civic and i find it to be more comfortable than my civic too, btw i have 'teg seats ,etc. but the Miata is still better IMO.

Let me try and find some pics, i will try to post some.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help.. (1.8 HB)

my friend has a miata with the hard top and a greddy turbo kit. even if it isn't the fastest thing in the world, it's a hell of a lot of fun to drive and shoot, every girl in the world wants a ride. i'd go for it.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:20 AM

get the newer miata cuz the old ones look like ****, either way do waht u think is right not what we think u should get....good luck with ur decision
Old 10-17-2002, 08:23 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help.. (1abSi)

i have a friend that has a convertable miata with all stock motor and a t28 turbo that is putting down 250whp. has had the turbo on forever and never any problems. he runs 13.5's. just incase you want to be fast again
250whp and only a 13.5?

13.3@101mph with only 175whp

Sounds more like 200whp.

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling civic and gettin a miata... please help..