Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

thinking about coilovers..........

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thinking about coilovers..........

i would like to get a set of coilovers(not the cheap ones) i was thinking skunk 2. what do ya think? any good? i have heard bad things about there springs.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what kind of ride are you looking for? skunk2's are second on my list but first would be ground control coilovers.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

i want something kinda stiff and something i can use on the track. i want to get into racing. how well do they handle? ride?
Old 06-05-2007, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (killerB16A)

i dont know much about coilovers, but i hear ground controls are pretty good
Old 06-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (killerB16A)

I just recently purxhased a set of PIC Performance fully adjustable coilovers for 1000.00 shipped. You should look into them. All my friends told me to go with them. I'm installing them tomorrow. I'll keep you updated.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:54 AM
New User

I just installed Skunk2 Pro S coilovers on my Del Sol. I haven't driven it with them installed since I still have a ton of other things I need to do first, but they look really well made. For the money they seem hard to pass up. I'm curious to see how they ride. They are 8KG/mm in the front and 6kg/mm in the back. I paid $569 shipped.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Racing rice)

..569 shipped? Wow, that is really hard to pass up. Maybe you can write a review on the handling and ride quality? I have heard great things about GC/Koni combo's and I know that Eiback has a full coilover set up using GC too, but I think they are pretty pricey. I have Skunk2/AGX(4way) and the ride is stiff on all settings and back breaking on setting 4... at least for shitty road conditions in Southern California
Old 06-05-2007, 05:51 AM
New User

Default Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

I will be giving a review once I get to use them. I've had a few different suspension setups over the years, but never had true full coilovers. I had Skunk2 sleeves on Tokico blues many years ago. The ride was awful. I switch to Koni Yellows which was better, but it was still pretty bouncy. I don't remember what the Spring weights on those were. I ended up going with Koni Yellows and Eibach Pro-kits in the end. The ride was nice, but it was a little on the soft side and I had no height adjust ability. So when I started working on the Del Sol, I said I'm getting full coilovers this time. A stiff ride doesn't bother me as long as it isn't bouncy. I'm hoping that the full coilovers are a lot better since the shocks are valved for the coils.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:02 AM

Default Cusco

First post =]

Iam currently running Cusco Zero 2R are great imo, the price you pay is worth it! They serve you well on street and on track when you go.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:08 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Cusco (Oppai*)

Hmmm... $550 for a non-adjustable full coilover?

Old 06-05-2007, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cusco (ek forever guy)

Agree.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:07 AM
New User

Is that a problem? Some people live on a budget.. Atleast it's not Dropzone sleeves on stock shocks.

Here is what came on the car..

Heated coils, some of the shocks had bent shafts..

Old 06-05-2007, 07:15 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: Cusco (Racing rice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Racing rice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is that a problem? Some people live on a budget.. Atleast it's not Dropzone sleeves on stock shocks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My problem with almost $600 for a non-adjustable coilover, it that I can get Ground controls with custom springrates and tokico illuminas for the same price

Or a progressive spring and Koni's.

Either will handle worlds better and have a lifetime warranty on the shocks.

Just my nickle
Old 06-05-2007, 07:18 AM
New User

Is it really worlds better? How much time have you spent track testing the two products in question here for comparison? If you have, I want all of the details. I'd love to know.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:24 AM
Ek Forever y0!

I've driven an h2b eg while I lived in phoenix with the full skunk2 coilover setup.

It rode like a lowered stock car.

My old hatch had H&R race springs/tokico illuminas.

My friend (NHRA womens autoX champion) Had a civic with koni's gc.

I've driven a lot of cars man, it's easy to tell that an adjustable shock from companies that have been in business for 4x that of skunk2 make a better product for a similar/uninflated price.

Budget smudget, if you're on a budget you shouldn't cheap out on key components of your car.

$500 for a drop on a car I wouldn't consider "budget"

koni reds on Tein s-techs would be a budget quality setup. Or tein's on stock shocks.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:29 AM
New User

I'd like more details on the skunk2. When you said it rode like a lowered stock car, did you think the springs were to soft? I'm curious? I'm not trying to challenge you here. I just want details on your claims. Also, I'd like to know where to get illuminas and GC for $550 I can't find them, and I'd rather not buy used suspension.

As for budget.. Yes, I have to live on a budget. I have a month to get the car running and driveable. My alternative was the mess of stock suspension that I posted earlier.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Ek Forever y0!

You have a Pm.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Racing rice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd like more details on the skunk2. When you said it rode like a lowered stock car, did you think the springs were to soft? I'm curious? I'm not trying to challenge you here. I just want details on your claims. Also, I'd like to know where to get illuminas and GC for $550 I can't find them, and I'd rather not buy used suspension.

As for budget.. Yes, I have to live on a budget. I have a month to get the car running and driveable. My alternative was the mess of stock suspension that I posted earlier.</TD></TR></TABLE>

for 100 more K sports are adjustable 36 way. I rode in some cars with them on on friends. Ride is not bad, handles very nicely.

i ride on D2s about 7xx rides great/ handles even better.

new prices.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:38 AM
New User

Default Re: Cusco (The Lobster)

I looked at those. Almost went with them but I read a lot of conflicting stories about quality, etc. I'm sure they are fine coilovers, but all of that adjustability wasn't really worth the extra $150 or so. I rarely messed with the adjustability on my Koni's when I had them. If I was going to spend a lot of time on the track, I agree I probably would have gotten adjustables, hell I probably would have went for the EDFC models so that I really could have dialed it in.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: thinking about coilovers.......... (killerB16A)

k-sport is no doubt some badass adjustables. you just have to mess around with them to find the right rate of stiffness for you. handles really good on corners. and they also look great.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

imo tein basics suck in case you were considering them.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thinking about coilovers.......... (killerB16A)

if you are looking for a full coil over i would strongly reccomend the omni power, i purchased mine 3 years ago and have not had a single problem or compliant. They are fairly cheap as well, you can find a lot of dealers right here in the market place
Old 06-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Racing rice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd like more details on the skunk2. When you said it rode like a lowered stock car, did you think the springs were to soft? I'm curious? I'm not trying to challenge you here. I just want details on your claims. Also, I'd like to know where to get illuminas and GC for $550 I can't find them, and I'd rather not buy used suspension.

As for budget.. Yes, I have to live on a budget. I have a month to get the car running and driveable. My alternative was the mess of stock suspension that I posted earlier.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm in for where to get illuminas and GC for 550. hook it up.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: thinking about coilovers.......... (superslow-oto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by superslow-oto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">k-sport is no doubt some badass adjustables. you just have to mess around with them to find the right rate of stiffness for you. handles really good on corners. and they also look great. </TD></TR></TABLE>

K-Sports are the worst coilovers I've ever had experience with. I'm not sure what you consider "great" or "badass" but too-high springrates and rock-hard damping do not a good suspension make

At the end of the day, if you're double-dutying this Civic, get appropriate suspension. 95% of your driving will be done on the street and there's nothing fun about slipped discs and bleeding kidneys due to a harsh ride. If this is a race car, the OP wouldn't be asking this question in the first place.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: thinking about coilovers.......... (gwegcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gwegcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you are looking for a full coil over i would strongly reccomend the omni power, i purchased mine 3 years ago and have not had a single problem or compliant. They are fairly cheap as well, you can find a lot of dealers right here in the market place</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have tryed looking for a good deal but havint came up on one...would you happend to have a link?

Quick Reply: thinking about coilovers..........