Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Are these headlights rice???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these headlights rice???

These are TYC HID projector headlights for 92-95 Civics. They do not have halo rings of any kind. Are these considered rice? If so, please state why.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are these headlights rice??? (Toy Civic)

Yes -- they aren't USDM, EDM, or JDM stock headlights. HID's are the only widely acceptable modification to do to your headlights..

Apparently, some people consider stock integras, accords, and civics to be rice.

So is my sig..
Old 02-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To me, thats rice.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are these headlights rice??? (Ej Girl)

State why please???
Old 02-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not OEM and it really doesn't look clean anyways.. What's the point of this thread -- are you thinking of buying these?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO yes
Old 02-24-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont like the chrome, but I have ebay projectors on my car with HIDs because its alot easier than doing a retrofit, It all comes down to what you like, I dont care if people want me to get stock lights.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are these headlights rice??? (ke98248)

If you think it doesn't look clean I can respect that. But to say that it is not OEM............

Half the mechanical and cosmetic stuff the all of us put on our cars..................to include the JDM masterpieces..............is not OEM.

Skunk, Tein, Advan, Work, Rays are not OEM pieces either. Are cars with those brands considered rice by your definition?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:33 AM

rice!!!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Toy Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you think it doesn't look clean I can respect that. But to say that it is not OEM............

Half the mechanical and cosmetic stuff the all of us put on our cars..................to include the JDM masterpieces..............is not OEM.

Skunk, Tein, Advan, Work, Rays are not OEM pieces either. Are cars with those brands considered rice by your definition? </TD></TR></TABLE>

We aren't talking suspension, rims, tires etc here... we are talking about some ugly *** headlight.

Its not the fact that they are not oem that makes the "rice", it's the fact that they look like crap, are probably made from **** poor craftsmanship and have horrible fitment all for a **** price.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are these headlights rice??? (95ProjectEJ1)

Like I said, looks is one thing. If one thinks they are ugly, then fine.

But have you actually seen a set of TYC lights up close and installed on a car?

I know what you mean about crappy quality and crappy fitament with aftermarket headlights. The ones I have now let water vapor in.

But I'm trying to get some feedback about the TYC model specifically. These appear to be the best quality aftermarket ones out there.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why does it matter what other people think? If something isn't OEM or JDM, people call it rice. If a car is "too jdm" people call it rice. If the car looks too stock, then people will complain that there isn't enough done to the car. If you don't have a B-series or K-series, people say that your car is slow no matter how much work is done to it. If your car doesn't look exactly like everyone else's, or at least look like whatever the new bandwagon of the week is, then people will say your car looks like crap. That's how this "community" is. Build your car for you, not for other people.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think the black housing looks better than the chrome one..well..it's you car,if you like it,go for it man..that's all matter!!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are these headlights rice??? (95ProjectEJ1)

It's not rice solely because it's different. It just looks...a little too...Terminator...

Stuff that just goes over the top and is "a little too much" is ricey. That's my opinion, anyway.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:59 AM
trapped in my own room!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Toy Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like I said, looks is one thing. If one thinks they are ugly, then fine.

But have you actually seen a set of TYC lights up close and installed on a car?

I know what you mean about crappy quality and crappy fitament with aftermarket headlights. The ones I have now let water vapor in.

But I'm trying to get some feedback about the TYC model specifically. These appear to be the best quality aftermarket ones out there.</TD></TR></TABLE>
If you want the headlights then get them, ricer. WTF is the point of this thread?
Old 02-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicSpoon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSpoon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why does it matter what other people think? If something isn't OEM or JDM, people call it rice. If a car is "too jdm" people call it rice. If the car looks too stock, then people will complain that there isn't enough done to the car. If you don't have a B-series or K-series, people say that your car is slow no matter how much work is done to it. If your car doesn't look exactly like everyone else's, or at least look like whatever the new bandwagon of the week is, then people will say your car looks like crap. That's how this "community" is. Build your car for you, not for other people.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seriously , no worries about what anyone else thinks, bro .... do what you like !
Old 02-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blzdeep)

i actually think there alright, i prefer the black housing ones though, and if i recall these are plug and play for hids.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldnt put any aftermarket parts on my car they allways fit like **** i dont care what brand they are an i like the jdm headlights better i jsut like the city lights
Old 02-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not a fan..and also I have seen what happens to the covers over time...with fatigue to the plastic from temp. changes they develope small cracks. (might have been other company's products)
Old 02-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicSpoon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSpoon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why does it matter what other people think? If something isn't OEM or JDM, people call it rice. If a car is "too jdm" people call it rice. If the car looks too stock, then people will complain that there isn't enough done to the car. If you don't have a B-series or K-series, people say that your car is slow no matter how much work is done to it. If your car doesn't look exactly like everyone else's, or at least look like whatever the new bandwagon of the week is, then people will say your car looks like crap. That's how this "community" is. Build your car for you, not for other people.</TD></TR></TABLE>
BUMP for the damn truth
Old 02-24-2008, 01:09 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Toy Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you think it doesn't look clean I can respect that. But to say that it is not OEM............

Skunk, Tein, Advan, Work, Rays are not OEM pieces either. Are cars with those brands considered rice by your definition? </TD></TR></TABLE>
I prefer OEM parts and parts that are high quality. Few parts on my car are made by companies that aren't Honda.

The headlights in the first post look cheap. Too many aftermarket headlights have leaking issues.

Rice, to me, doesn't just mean anything aftermarket. It refers to gaudy or poorly made or installed parts. That can be (imo) vinyl graphics down the side of the car, neon light kits, a trailer light as a "rear fog light", or spray painted matte black headlights. Of course my opinion won't stop anyone from putting all that on their car and from them thinking it looks like the best car ever.

I'll still look at it and either giggle or cringe though. And I'm not the only one.

Who cares though, right? If you can put up with the criticism and you really like the car, of course that's all that matters.

Threads like these serve no purpose other than to start a conversation about what's rice and what's not and that "you should do what you want", which is really just a big "duh". Every one of these threads make the same points over and over again.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are these headlights rice??? (NOFX)

about 3 or 4 years ago i owned a set of the black ones, and they were ok. They had nice output, but cosmetic wise it looked out of place on my car so i sold them for some black housing depo headlights. With a crystal clear lens, and slapped hid's in...

now i have just as much function AND form... You dont have to give up one for the other if you do research and know what your buying beforehand..
Old 02-24-2008, 01:19 PM
GDD GRAMMAR POLICE

Default Re: Are these headlights rice??? (Thateguhate)

Why dont you just retro fit some usdm headlights or something..
Old 02-24-2008, 01:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

every mod on honda-tech is called rice. ignore what all us ricers say. get those though, the EG headlights suck anyway, and the 1 piece ones ALWAYS look better
Old 02-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are these headlights rice??? (PhantoM.DA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhantoM.DA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why dont you just retro fit some usdm headlights or something..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah +1 on retro-fit. It would look way better with HIDs.

Quick Reply: Are these headlights rice???