Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

thermostat ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thermostat ?

my car is overhearting and the antifreeze is boiling in the resovoir. so i just bought a thermostat does anybody have steps on how to install i got the gasket and silicone already its a 95 civic ex
Old 08-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: thermostat ? (vteckyle)

Empty coolant
Remove thermostat housing (2 or 3 bolts, 1 has a ground attached to it)
Remove thermostat (use some plier and yank the thing out)
Put seal over the new thermostat
Put new thermostat in
Put thermostat housing back on

http://www.tuning-en-outaouais...t.pdf
Old 08-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vteckyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my car is overhearting and the antifreeze is boiling in the resovoir. so i just bought a thermostat does anybody have steps on how to install i got the gasket and silicone already its a 95 civic ex</TD></TR></TABLE>

pretty simple.

go to the thermostat housing, there is 2 bolts. unbolt them, remove the housing, remove the thermo, install the new one with the gasket and bolt everything back up.

just make sure that
1. you put the new thermo exactly how the old one was sitting, i forgot the exact way it sits, sorry.

2. be prepared for coolant to spill out.

3. when you are done with the swap, open your radiator cap, start the motor, add coolant until radiator is full, the cap off.

NOT TO MENTION, WAIT UNTIL THE MOTOR IS COOL BEFORE STARTING THE PROCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vteckyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my car is overhearting and the antifreeze is boiling in the resovoir. so i just bought a thermostat does anybody have steps on how to install i got the gasket and silicone already its a 95 civic ex</TD></TR></TABLE>

if coolant is visibly boiling, your coolant is either CRAZY hot, or you have too much water in your coolant mix.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: thermostat ? (pgpunkguy)

Originally Posted by philosofy1

pretty simple.

go to the thermostat housing, there is 2 bolts. unbolt them, remove the housing, remove the thermo, install the new one with the gasket and bolt everything back up.

just make sure that
1. you put the new thermo exactly how the old one was sitting, i forgot the exact way it sits, sorry.

2. be prepared for coolant to spill out.

3. when you are done with the swap, open your radiator cap, start the motor, add coolant until radiator is full, the cap off.

NOT TO MENTION, WAIT UNTIL THE MOTOR IS COOL BEFORE STARTING THE PROCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There's a notch on the gasket - it can only go in one way.

@ OP:

Follow your lower radiator hose - that "cap" where it plugs in is your thermostat housing.

1) Take off your intake arm - it'll get in the way.

2) Remove the petcock (valve at bottom) of the radiator and remove both radiator hoses.

3) Follow where the lower radiator hose goes into the block - that's the thermostat - there's two 10mm bolts there - unbolt them, the housing should come apart.

4) Inside the housing is the thermostat w/ the gasket around it - you can pop it out with a flathead screwdriver - it doesn't matter if you break it - you're replacing it. Coolant will spill out. Note which part of the thermostat faces which way when you pull it out.

5) Put gasket around new thermostat - put it asside now, you have to flush the coolant system.

6) Take a garden hose and stick it in the top of the radiator to wash it out - keep it in there until only clear water comes out the bottom - at this point it should be completely disconnected, disconnect the overflow tank too - wash that out - you want to get ALL the coolant out.

7) Take the garden hose and put it in the end of the lower rad hose - this'll clean out the lower rad hose.

8) Put the garden hose inside of the top radiator hose and leave it there - turn the car on and turn the heat on - make sure the mixing valve (hot/cold switch) is all the way hot (that's your heater box valve control), and the fan speed and duct direction doesn't really matter.

9) Leave the car on for 10 minutes, since the coolant is constantly being replaced and flowing through the block and will clean the heater box & block. If the heat rises above 4/5 the temp gauge - kill the motor - it shouldn't rise though because a garden hose shouldn't have 190 degree water . Leave it like that for 10 minutes or so so everything cleans out.

10) Pull the garden hose out and toss it asside - at this point everything should be cleaned - clean out your reservoir, get all the old coolant outta there.

11) Put the new thermostat in, it's got a "lump" in the rim where the gasket goes around and there's a "lump" in the gasket - so it fits like a glove - then there's a "slot" in the thermostat housing for the "lump" - it only goes in one way. Just make sure you take note of which way you pull it out (so you know which way faces in) and put it in the same way - then press the gasket around the edges and it'll stay on its own.

12) Put the thermostat housing back on and bolt up the 2 bolts.

13) Put the petcock back in the radiator and connect the reservoir overflow tank - connect the radiator hoses.

14) Fill the radiator - then turn the car on, the level in the radiator will go down as the coolant circulates through the engine - fill it up until it's at the top, then fill the reservoir to about an inch under the max marker. LEAVE THE CAP OFF while it's running - this will allow any air in the system to come out through the top of the radiator, if you wanna squeeze the hoses to try to force the air around, do it - but you don't have to - the air will come out after 10-15 minutes of it idling with the rad cap off, just make sure you keep topping the radiator off. While it's idling check for leaks.

15) Put your intake arm back on.

PS:
If I were you I'd replace the **** Honda OEM clamps w/ regular screw clamps from a hardware store, those needle-nose clamps blow and the lower rad hose always leaks, especially if you're using one of those crap clamps.

Hope that helps - holla if you have any questions.