Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

There is spark and fuel but it won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There is spark and fuel but it won't start?

Hello HT,

I'm really stump on this one, this is the first time the car has ever done this. Let me start from the begining. My g/f left the car parked for 6 days. In those 6 days it rained alot. She tries to start it after 6 days and it won't start.

Model: 1994 Civic CX
Engine: D15
Trans: Auto

The car turns over when I turn the key but it won't start at all. I also tried starting while my foot is down on the gas pedal but still no go. At first I thought there's no spark, the cap and rotor hasn't been changed in a while. I bought a brand new cap and rotor, replaced it and still no start. I bought new spark plugs, replaced them and there is still no start. After trying to start it a few times I got pissed off at this point and I took the new spark plugs out. I could smell fuel as well I could see that the new metal had carbon marks on it like there's spark. I reinstalled the spark plugs and cranked the motor over and over again and finally it started! The next day she is able to start the car like normal and she went shopping the whole day without and problems. As well it rained the entire day from morning until night.

TWO DAYS LATER...

The car wouldn't start again. Its doing the same thing as before, it would turn over but that's it. I checked the spark wires by putting a screw driver inside and holding it close to a ground while I started the car (had help) and there is spark! I know there is fuel because after a failed attemp on starting I took the spark plugs out and it is wet with fuel!

I couldn't check the air filter because the bolts was so rusted I couldn't take the cover off, I will try that next. Could the motor be too flooded with fuel? If anyone else have any helpful hints on what to test next and how to do it please let me know! I'm not a pro mechanic or anything, I have very basic knowledge but I would like to learn more so on a mission to get this POS started! :D

Summary:

- Car has been sitting for a few days. During those days it rained alot.
- Car has battery power because it turns over.
- With the key in ON position I can hear the fuel pump prime. Everything else comes on during inital start and there is no CEL afterwards.
- Replaced cap and rotor with new OEM Honda part.
- Replaced spark plugs with new NGK.
- There is spark because I tested using the screw driver and ground method.
- There is fuel because when I take the spark plugs out after trying to start I could smell and see fuel.

Thanks for all your help in advanced!

CB

Modified by chinese buffet at 3:30 PM 7/15/2006
Old 07-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: There is spark and fuel but it won't start? (chinese buffet)

Anyone have any ideas at all? Any sort of help is greatly appreciated!

CB
Old 07-15-2006, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check engine timing and ignition timing...you replaced the dizzy or negative? If you're positive your getting fuel and spark, but no start, sounds like an ignition problem

Are you throwing any CELs? The air filter wouldnt make a difference as long as its getting enough, just unclamp the hose from the intake manifold if you can't get the bolts off to see you might be choking the engine as well, If it rained alot and you got water in the fuel it would cause it to not start, if all else fails, drain out tank, purge the fuel line and get all new gas...thats all i got for now let me know where u get!
Old 07-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im gonna say timing belt slipped or dizzy is off, my car did the same thing, its b-series, but that shouldnt matter, my timing belt skipped a few teeth, and it ended up in the end blowing my motor cause i didnt know thats what it was. get a socket, rotate ur crank to tdc and check ur timing on the cam gear, im gonna bet u its off
Old 07-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wasted a week and a half troubleshooting my no-start, and it was just a weak ignition coil. It would spark, but the spark was too weak to start the car. It kicked on starting fluid, but not on gas. I'd test it if I was you.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: There is spark and fuel but it won't start? (ddd4114)

check your timming belt
Old 07-16-2006, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: There is spark and fuel but it won't start? (qfast817)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by qfast817 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check your timming belt</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep...has to be the timing...
Old 07-16-2006, 12:45 AM

do you hear the fuel pump priming
Old 07-16-2006, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (prison_snitch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prison_snitch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you hear the fuel pump priming</TD></TR></TABLE>

if his plugs are wet with gas I'ma go out on a limb here and say his fuel system's working, he's got spark and it's jumping so I wouldn't say that the coil pack's bad either (btw on a honda does that come with the rotar or is it seperate?), also the battery's definately good enough to spin the starter (which is obvioulsy going or it wouldn't crank fast or at all), spark, gas, O2, should be all u need for a stroke or 2... Unless you mis-judged adn dont' actually have what you think you have of one them.. The only thing that would prevent it from goign is as others have said, the timing belt... How old is it? It's possible that it expanded to the point where it's hard to start but not twisting the valves yet... If that's not it I'd take another look at the fuel system, make sure it's priming if u put the key in and turn it to stage 2... Might wanna change the fuel filter while ur at it... The rain is obviously a factor in this..so it also might be electrical...might have fried something... but what could it have fried that would cause a problem quite like this I'm not sure...

Check out the fuel system again and the check out the timing
Old 07-16-2006, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your input! I would have never thought it could be the timing belt. It hasn't been replaced in a while so I will check the TDC. Also when I checked for spark, there was spark but its not what I call a "big" spark. I had the screw driver inside the wire and the screw driver shaft away from the ground about 3-5mm and there was a tiny little spark. If I move the screw driver shaft any further away from the ground I wouldn't be able to get a spark. I've never tried this test on any other cars before so I don't know if the kind of spark I am getting is sufficient enough?

I've thought about water in the fuel because her car is really rusted around the rear quarter panel and water gets inside into the spare tire area and fuel pump area when it rains really hard (even when the car parked). If it really comes to having to drain the tank, how would I go about doing this safely?

Anyways I'm going to check the timing belt today if I have time and hopefuly I'll post an updated soon!

Thanks again for everyone's help!

CB