Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is there a knockoff wheel for the SSR Competition??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a knockoff wheel for the SSR Competition??

I really love the SSR Competition but there is no way possible I can afford that wheel. Is there any company that make a knockoff with the same gunmetal and polished lip?? I'm looking for 15, 16, or 17(don't really want that big but I'll take it). I just love that wheel. Any websites or wheel brand and type of wheel will help. Also they have to be 4-lug 4x100 for my Del Sol. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there a knockoff wheel for the SSR Competition?? (jigga008_99)

yes there is a knockoff of them and there called ssp's i think
Old 03-18-2003, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Velox

I also like the ssr competitions and wanted to get them for my sol too, but the price tag for them are way to high for me. But i looked around and found some similar ones from Velox . You should check them out I think they are Velox pg-5s they are also light 12 lbs. for a 17x7 rim.
-Viet
Old 03-18-2003, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Velox (fastnikes)

Formula Type-C carried by http://www.wheeloptions.com. Right now http://www.importhookup.com is running a special on those wheels
Old 03-30-2003, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Velox (b16a ferio)

Well this is the conclusion I've come to.

I bought a set of knock-offs for these amazing rims. They are super light weight for a 15" rim at 11 pounds a piece (compared to my onld 16.5 pound 17's) and look great. I found a set of them on ebay for 400 shipped, great deal I thought. I get them and see the that quality is amazing. Then, I noticed that the markings on the box and on the wheels looks very familiar. So I searched again and found where I had seen the markings before.
From what I gather from looking at this picture, http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/BigPic.jsp, and my knock-offs is that they are made at the same factory on the same machines.

Below are pictures of my rim:

Compare the marking on the bottom right of the SSR competition from Tirerack to what the markings of the box are on the box.

Rim from above...

Proof of its weight.

I highly doub the company that copied these went to the extent to copy the very small writing/logos on the inner part of the wheel.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Velox (integra-modder)

So what is the name of the company and the name of the model of these wheels? They look super dope. I love the SSR's but cant afford them with all the shiet I have going on.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well they may have spent the time to copy even the lettering in the casting of the rim,
they spent enough time making a logo that looks exactly the same..

however 11 lbs for a 15 inch rim is nice. let us know how they hold up

interesting thing i noticed was the box says "VELOX" on the side ....

[Modified by igo4bmx, 4:37 AM 3/31/2003]
Old 03-30-2003, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Velox (igo4bmx)

how much do they cost for a 16" i couldnt find them on the site. but i found ssr's that were 300 a peice. thanks
Old 03-30-2003, 09:09 PM
New User

Default Re: Velox (h22eg6)

the knockoff look pretty good.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Velox (h22eg6)

I couldn't find them on the above sites as well and couldn't find them on ebay. Any more info?
Old 03-30-2003, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Velox (fastnikes)

I also like the ssr competitions and wanted to get them for my sol too, but the price tag for them are way to high for me. But i looked around and found some similar ones from Velox . You should check them out I think they are Velox pg-5s they are also light 12 lbs. for a 17x7 rim.
-Viet
pg-5s are nice as hell, but they're like $1200 a set too
Old 03-31-2003, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

those look almost identicle (except for the polished lip and the around the outside) to my buddyclub wheels..

Old 03-31-2003, 01:05 AM
poo flinger

I bought a set of knock-offs for these amazing rims. They are super light weight for a 15" rim at 11 pounds a piece (compared to my onld 16.5 pound 17's) and look great. I found a set of them on ebay for 400 shipped, great deal I thought. I get them and see the that quality is amazing. Then, I noticed that the markings on the box and on the wheels looks very familiar. So I searched again and found where I had seen the markings before.
From what I gather from looking at this picture, http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/BigPic.jsp, and my knock-offs is that they are made at the same factory on the same machines.

Compare the marking on the bottom right of the SSR competition from Tirerack to what the markings of the box are on the box.

Rim from above...

Proof of its weight.

I highly doub the company that copied these went to the extent to copy the very small writing/logos on the inner part of the wheel.
Sorry but that "knock off" company when way to far with that ****. "SSP"?? WTF is that ****??? That company is jocking SSR like a mother ******.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:41 AM

I don't know...but the 18" SSR Comp's are 14.5lbs, so..

But anyway, basically Tire Rack get's wheel blanks and put their own holes in it, so that's probably why those knock offas are cheaper, because they most likely come like that from the factory.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Velox (I can't believe this ****)

Sorry but that "knock off" company when way to far with that ****. "SSP"?? WTF is that ****??? That company is jocking SSR like a mother ******.
Sounds more like SSR is selling slight imperfection rims to Velox or under the name Velox to make more money.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Velox (Civic242)

corzotire.com your welcome
Old 03-31-2003, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Velox (I can't believe this ****)

The real rims already say SSR and SSF...so they were smart and making a profit.

I agree with what someone said about maybe these have some slight imprefections to be sold for 300 a piece, but i wont complain at 85 bucks each.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that similar JIII VSSS whatever text on the wheel is actual technical information for DOT and so on.
-->all wheels should have that stuff somewhere on them.

11 pounds on a bathroom scale that goes from 0-300 pounds.... is not the same as their weight on a certified scale that is to measure within a total range of 0-40 pounds, so be I wouldnt state that they are positively 11 pounds each.

sure look nice though.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Velox (owen_the_soyboy)

I never implied that they were exactly 11.000 pounds. If you want I can probably put them on the school's digital scale which measures to the third decimal.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Velox (hybridcoupe97)

corzotire.com your welcome
Thanks man, 109 a rim is not bad, too bad they only have 15" and don't have gunmetal.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds more like SSR is selling slight imperfection rims to Velox or under the name Velox to make more money.
SSR doesn't make SSP wheels. the molds are different. if you look at the stamp on an SSR wheel it says SSR and SSF on either side of the valve stem. SSPs say SSP and SSF in a different area.

the reason SSPs cheaper is because they are a cast wheel, SSRs are a semi-solid forged wheel. if you don't know the difference, look it up.

15" SSPs weigh 11lbs
15" SSRs weigh 9.2lbs

saying SSPs are the same as SSRs is like saying Rota Slipstreams are the same as Desmond wheels.

so back to the original topic, SSPs are a nice wheel for the price.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Velox (chainsaw)

Bro I was just guessing??
Old 04-01-2003, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bro I was just guessing??
that wasn't directed at you, i was just quoting you as an example.

i was just stating the differences in the two wheels so people wouldn't think SSPs are SSR defects.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:25 AM

Rim from above...

Proof of its weight.

Oh no! it's starting to get to me! I never liked the polished lip look...but...this one looks nice.
Old 04-01-2003, 02:54 PM
RiceBurninVTEC

Default Re: Velox (all stock)

i want a set of them in 17!

Quick Reply: Is there a knockoff wheel for the SSR Competition??