Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is there function to a duckbill?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there function to a duckbill?

All of the agressive aftermarket duckbills look decent if your into that type of thing, but do they actually have a proven purpose? Do they have downforce?

If you have one let me know, or if you know of any info about their aerodynamics let me get a look at that too....

Eric
Old 01-10-2006, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Is there function to a duckbill? (StreetEG)

just for looks, you would really want downforce on a civic anyway
Old 01-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there function to a duckbill? (97spooncivic)

yea just a look and bling thing
Old 01-10-2006, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Is there function to a duckbill? (tuck'd98)

Mainly for looks, but at the right angle, it can provide some downforce. Too sharp of an angle can also create drag.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there function to a duckbill? (Street Ghost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Street Ghost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mainly for looks, but at the right angle, it can provide some downforce. Too sharp of an angle can also create drag.</TD></TR></TABLE>

NOT ON A HONDA!!! M@D TY73 JdM N3v@ L00zes!!!111!!!11!
Old 01-10-2006, 06:57 PM

The point isn't downforce, the point is just effective air flow. See this article:

"Using a Subaru for example, the stock wing on a STi will slow you down at the strip, but just removing it altogether might not be the best solution. Air loves (and I mean LOVES) to lift up on round surfaces. Without the wing on the back of the STi to force the air up and away from the shapely roof and rear window, the lack of something on the rear to spoil the air fl owing over it will cause the wind rushing over your car to pull the car upwards.
This dynamic, aptly named "Lift," is great for a Boeing, but not a Subie. If your car has a fairly well rounded body top surface (more like a Beetle than an xB), you'll need to look at adding something to spoil the air flow and lightly deflect it upwards and away from the roof and back window. We're not looking for downforce here: helping the air to fl ow over and away smoothly without pushing down or pulling up is the goal."

http://www.tprmag.com/issue/13...shtml

That's why even stock civic hatches come with a little spoiler on the rear.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StreetEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All of the agressive aftermarket duckbills look decent if your into that type of thing, but do they actually have a proven purpose? Do they have downforce?

If you have one let me know, or if you know of any info about their aerodynamics let me get a look at that too....

Eric</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think the mugen one adds some high speed stability but not really meant for down force.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Is there function to a duckbill? (fasthatchb18c1)

good info mugenpowered
Old 01-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Contender25

Yeah well when i was over on i-10 yesterday i was doin bout 100mph+ tryin to go harder and i already got one of those carbon duckbills on my hatch and well it seems to hold me down a little tighter when i was goin steady at a high speed like that, just my 2 cents.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Contender25)

So, would a more aggresive carbon duckbill enhance the stability of my car at higher speeds? My car is a eg with the stock wing, and will be used for hpde events....

Also, is there a wing that is reccomended above all others?

Thanks in advance
Eric
Old 01-10-2006, 08:02 PM

all looks. but when u put stickers on your car! thats where its at 2 hp for small ones 5 for medium and up to 10 with big stickers!
Old 01-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (iLOVEmyEMone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iLOVEmyEMone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all looks. but when u put stickers on your car! thats where its at 2 hp for small ones 5 for medium and up to 10 with big stickers!</TD></TR></TABLE>

omg shut up.

i have a duck bill on my hatch and at high speeds i would not be suprised if it actually did make a little diff. but even if it didnt do anything i would still have it because i like the way it looks
Old 01-10-2006, 09:05 PM

Default Re: (chads)

for downforce to make a real difference you gotta be haulin some *** so i think there more for looks and with my b16 tranny i dont haul *** for to long thats some serious r's
Old 01-10-2006, 09:08 PM

Default Re: (x93coupex)

Too bad all Civics are Front-Wheel drive, Don't really need a wing to keep your front end down and on the track. I guess it could create a little downforce.... If your going above like 80
Old 01-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Contender25 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah well when i was over on i-10 yesterday i was doin bout 100mph+ tryin to go harder and i already got one of those carbon duckbills on my hatch and well it seems to hold me down a little tighter when i was goin steady at a high speed like that, just my 2 cents. </TD></TR></TABLE>

your dumb.
you make the senseable on here and everywhere else look bad
Old 01-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Contender25

I would know because I OWN A ******* HATCBACK, and a carbon duckbill wing already on it, and i just happen to be going about a 100mph yesterday cause i was in a hurry trying to get back from work after a meeting you ******* ********** that likes to digrace import owners with you're ricer jokes. QUIT BEING SUCH A ******* AND LIGHTEN UP, and you know i was not gonna say anything about the sticker post, i guess you thought that would be funny to a bunch of people that own imports already.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Contender25

Better then the STOCK ******* wing which is smaller thn even the 88-91 hatch's stock wings, they are ******* tiny if you can read AND understand that you ****** tard.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Contender25

You got anything else to say about it ******, i don't randomly call people on honda tech "like you do" dumb and don't make sense, thats fucked up...like you're attitude. Thats also why if you talked to me like this in the flesh i would have already punched you're *** in the face. As for the wing though the carbon duckbill is a much nice wing to have and looks alot better then some of that ricer airplane wing ****, and definetly makes AT LEAST somewhat of a little bit of a difference i would think over the stock wing anyways, period.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only tard is the one going 100mph on the street no matter what the reason.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EK k kay)

besides looking kinda gay, i know the one on my ef kept the back window cleaner of road grit.. i think that might have actually been the purpose, the keep dirt and or ice of the back window, im sure it has nothing to do with lift or whatever.. its an econmy car not a race car
Old 01-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Contender25

Yeah and the only tard is one who doesn't read the god damn posts, it was on i-10 interstate...hello?. Everyone knows i-10 runs across country, even ******* lambo's and **** have been like 150mph or faster on that ****, duh a 100mph is nothing cause everyone around me was already goin like 70 or 80 you ******* D I P S H I T.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Contender25

Actually you are right 7808, i know this have have been told this and as a matter of fact my car is not a race car, but you know even people in a ******* tercel have seen at least a 100mph i would think on the INTERSTATE. But hey in all honesty if you wanna go 40mph on the interstate, which is dangerous imo for you're safety as fast as everyone goes anyways move along to the side *****, i don't wanna ram you're ****** granny *** off the road because you can't drive.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Contender25 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would know because I OWN A ******* HATCBACK, and a carbon duckbill wing already on it, and i just happen to be going about a 100mph yesterday cause i was in a hurry trying to get back from work after a meeting you ******* ********** that likes to digrace import owners with you're ricer jokes. QUIT BEING SUCH A ******* AND LIGHTEN UP, and you know i was not gonna say anything about the sticker post, i guess you thought that would be funny to a bunch of people that own imports already.</TD></TR></TABLE>

specify who your talking to?
Old 01-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Contender25

My apologys tuck'd98, at least im man enough to say sorry that i blamed you for the sticker joke when that was someone else, got you both mixed up. But i still think it was wrong to say something like that, when you don't even know me, i can't believe you have the nerve to even act like you have never gone at least a 100mph before...i mean really?. You think im bad, ha you should meet some of my friends in town, and that and alot of other people out their in the world that do alot worst things then that. I was on the INTERSTATE, not really a big deal, pfft..but you should see some idiot that IS a ricer on the STREET or road going a 100mph, then i totally agree with you on that.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Contender25 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My apologys tuck'd98, at least im man enough to say sorry that i blamed you for the sticker joke when that was someone else, got you both mixed up. But i still think it was wrong to say something like that, when you don't even know me, i can't believe you have the nerve to even act like you have never gone at least a 100mph before...i mean really?. You think im bad, ha you should meet some of my friends in town, and that and alot of other people out their in the world that do alot worst things then that. I was on the INTERSTATE, not really a big deal, pfft..but you should see some idiot that IS a ricer on the STREET or road going a 100mph, then i totally agree with you on that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hey its your choice to go 100+ on a public road, its not safe, and no i havent done it. I just hate when people put me with the street racers when i have never left a light to race someone. Its all your choice. Ive done about 120, not on a public road, a track. I just cant stand when people classify me as being a streetracer/reckless driver for modding my car, thats all didnt know you woudl take such offense, but i should have been clearer with you

Quick Reply: Is there function to a duckbill?