Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Are there any D15 turbo setups out there???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any D15 turbo setups out there???

Okay I have a 97 Civic DX Hathback and I was thinking about swapping it and stuff but I decided since I still only have 32,300 miles on the motor I wanted to just turbo it and run between 200 - 250 hp at the crank. I'm having trouble the finding a turbo kit for a 96-00 1.5 L Civic DX motor. Would the ones sold on http://www.turbocalculator.com/sale-turbokits.php fit my motor? Plus if i put a D16y8 head on would this setup still work? Also what size turbo do u guys think would be the best. I was leaning more towards a smaller turbo. If there are any places people can buy a turbo for a D15 please post them. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks
Old 01-06-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Are there any D15 turbo setups out there??? (wushubrian)

Well personally I would get the d16y8 head so you have vtec. But check in the forced induction forum, or go to http://www.turbod16.com those both have helpful information about turbo setups
Old 01-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are there any D15 turbo setups out there??? (civiccpedx)

Well if you are going to boost the d... no "Kit" is going to yeild 200-250hp on that motor.
If you want those kind of numbers your gonna have to go with a custom setup. Which is usually a cheaper-route anyway (depending).
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiccpedx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> go to http://www.turbod16.com</TD></TR></TABLE>
Go there and http://www.homemadeturbo.com and you'll find all that you need.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Are there any D15 turbo setups out there??? (mwieczorek43)

kinda doubtin 250 whp on a d15 motor unless its a d15b, (jdm), im only looking to get about 170 outa my d15b7, and thatll be w/ some good tuning
Old 01-06-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Are there any D15 turbo setups out there??? (blackcivic95)

yea 250 to the crank is alot. Yea that kit would work but you may have to fudge some things. Tuning is the key to all power.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are there any D15 turbo setups out there??? (civiccpedx)

I thought sticking a D16Y8 head on a D15 raised the compression? I could be wrong... but if you turbo it you don't want higher compression.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Are there any D15 turbo setups out there??? (Ajax)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ajax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought sticking a D16Y8 head on a D15 raised the compression? I could be wrong... but if you turbo it you don't want higher compression.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is a common misconception. No matter how you look at it, timing and tuning are more important than compression.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Are there any D15 turbo setups out there??? (snoochtodanooch)

did 96-00 civics come with d15 or d16? either way search for d15 turbo and you will find one of the mods turbo d15 writeups
Old 01-06-2005, 10:43 AM

Well I'm also going to build the internals some. And I do plan on getting it tuned. Theres a shop around here that I go to that would tune it for me. As for compression, even with the y8 head i would still have compression in the 9's. Cuz the dx motor has a 9.4:1 compression and the ex motor (d16y8) has a compression of 9.6:1. But this still doesn't resolve the problem of which turo setup I should get. Any ideas if that turbo setup from http://www.turbocalculator.com/sale-turbokits.php will work with this setup. Thanks again.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Are there any D15 turbo setups out there???

Thx for the links. I'll read on poth of them.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Are there any D15 turbo setups out there??? (99hatch)

Another question sort of off topic but does my car have a d15 or d16 cuz i read from different sites that it has one and then another site says it has the other. Which one is it really. I need a little clarification on this too. Sorry for the confussion. Thank You. Any information about what i should do and which turbo setup is welcome.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:57 AM
wc
Honda-Tech Member

A few things:
1. All USDM 96-00 DX came with d16y7. Did your car come from Canada?
2. The Greddy D series kit will bolt up the exhaust side, but due to the different throttle body placement of the y7, custom charge tubes will need to be made. Greddy kit can get close to 200 whp.
3. The internet consenses is that D series rods will take up to 200 whp. More if the tuning is dead on.

- wei
Old 01-06-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Are there any D15 turbo setups out there??? (wc)

Alright. Sounds good. So since i'm putting on the d16y8 vtec head the only things that I would have to have custom made would be the charge tubes. Any idea on pricing of those? If not its okay. And do u recomend that i change my rods or anything else? Thanks again for the info, clarified quite a bit so far.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A few things:
1. All USDM 96-00 DX came with d16y7. Did your car come from Canada?
2. The Greddy D series kit will bolt up the exhaust side, but due to the different throttle body placement of the y7, custom charge tubes will need to be made. Greddy kit can get close to 200 whp.
3. The internet consenses is that D series rods will take up to 200 whp. More if the tuning is dead on.

- wei</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think canada models fall under the USDM catagory
Old 01-06-2005, 11:58 AM
wc
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wushubrian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright. Sounds good. So since i'm putting on the d16y8 vtec head the only things that I would have to have custom made would be the charge tubes. Any idea on pricing of those? If not its okay. And do u recomend that i change my rods or anything else? Thanks again for the info, clarified quite a bit so far. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you run the y8 intake manifold (which is good idea if you're already swapping the head) which will put the TB in the "side" position, then you do not need custom pipes.

- wei
Old 01-06-2005, 12:29 PM

wushubrian just for reference i have a buddy who bought a 38mm tial wastegate from turbo calculator.com and it took him 3 months to get it, and he tried to call everyday asking to see if it was coming and wasn't able to get ahold of anyone for 3 months. if you plan on boosting your car soon i am not sure if turbo calculator is the fastest way to get your stuff.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:31 PM

I was thinking since I am going to turbo it that i should buy a performance intake manifold. I was thinking of getting the skunk2 intake manifold. Will this really give me a noticeable perfromance though, or are we only talking like a few hp here. Because it says that factory manifolds are very restrictive. Is it worh 300 bucks for a performance intake manifold?? Thx again.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Are there any D15 turbo setups out there??? (slow_redcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow_redcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wushubrian just for reference i have a buddy who bought a 38mm tial wastegate from turbo calculator.com and it took him 3 months to get it, and he tried to call everyday asking to see if it was coming and wasn't able to get ahold of anyone for 3 months. if you plan on boosting your car soon i am not sure if turbo calculator is the fastest way to get your stuff.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thx for the heads up on turbocalculator.com I'm probally going to try and find another site due to this. Though turbocalculator did have good prices. Has anyone else experienced problems with them??
Old 01-06-2005, 12:59 PM

that was a vague question... there are bosst set-ups for annnnnyyy motor you want... if you need help on picking brand of quality then i'd say greddy cause its cheap and efficient
Old 01-06-2005, 03:52 PM

Someone just recommended that instead of me adding the d16y8 head to my motor that it would be more beneficial to just turbo my car as is and save the money for internal work or a better turbo setup. Any suggestions on this??
Old 01-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Are there any D15 turbo setups out there??? (zoomzoom92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zoomzoom92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i think canada models fall under the USDM catagory</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes all CDN model LX/DX/CX,etc come with the Y7, not the d15, they stopped that in 95
Old 01-07-2005, 01:11 PM
wc
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wushubrian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Someone just recommended that instead of me adding the d16y8 head to my motor that it would be more beneficial to just turbo my car as is and save the money for internal work or a better turbo setup. Any suggestions on this??</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am in the same situation as you. I have 00 DX. Here is what I am debating/researching:
1. Greddy turbo kit, y8 intake manifold (to get the 2 wire IAT so I can run Uberdata on P06 ecu), P06 ECU, conversion harness, etc.

or

2. B18B swap.

Turbo: ~160hp, less relaible.
B swap: ~140hp, more reliable and heavier.

Both setups will probably cost around 2k to complete. I haven't finished the debate yet.

- wei
Old 01-07-2005, 03:44 PM

Well I was originally going to swap my motor but then i decided to stick with the boosted D series motor because it was lighter and 200 hp potential in a car that once i strip it down should be under a ton with me in it. D series would give me plenty of power and you can pick up a costum fabricated turbo kit for under a grand. Take the motor that you would spend on a swap and put it into doing some head and internal work. Plus my car still only has 33,000 miles and I can guarantee everything in it works. While a swaped motor you don't know what ur getting... Its really up to you and how much power you want to achieve. B-series motor have way more potential but will end up costing u. While you can pick up a vtec head for ur motor for about 300 bucks plus a turbo kit for 1,000 then just throw an exhaust and a few other small mods on and you should be set. Looking at between 1,500 - 2,000 for a decently fast car.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:55 PM

I think its hard to find a kit for your car because the 96dx+ d15 has the wierd intake where the throttle body faces up. You could probably use a ex turbo kit if you slaped on a 92-95dx,ex,si or 96-00ex intake manifold and tb
Old 01-07-2005, 05:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I am in the same situation as you. I have 00 DX. Here is what I am debating/researching:
1. Greddy turbo kit, y8 intake manifold (to get the 2 wire IAT so I can run Uberdata on P06 ecu), P06 ECU, conversion harness, etc.

or

2. B18B swap.

Turbo: ~160hp, less relaible.
B swap: ~140hp, more reliable and heavier.

Both setups will probably cost around 2k to complete. I haven't finished the debate yet.

- wei</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if you tune your turbo d, then you could easily squeeze out more than 160 whp and it'll be pretty damn reliable if done right.

For that b18b swap, its more like youll be getting around 110-125 whp, but if you want more hp then get the b18b and boost it.

Quick Reply: Are there any D15 turbo setups out there???