Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Thanks for your help Honda-Tech, Just finished my Tune-up!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for your help Honda-Tech, Just finished my Tune-up!

I would like to thank Honda-Tech and everyone who posts (or who has replied). This made my tune-up for this coming school year much easier and faster. I ended up replacing the following:

-Timing Belt
-Water Pump
-Spark Plugs
-Plug Wires
-Distributor Cap
-Rotor
-Air Filter
-Valve Cover Gasket
-All Accessory Belts
-All Hoses
-All Fluids

Here is the pile of all the crap prior to install:

The tune-up took longer than expect thanks to finding more needed maintenance, such as:

Here is the ghetto jackstanded car in the Condo parking lot, you could tell the neighbors were thrilled:

Next up is the Valve Lash Adjustment, I was impressed with how nice this looks after 110,000 miles:

I also noticed that either the tranny or the oil pan is leaking, any ideas from anyone on how to decide which one is leaking? Its kind of leaking from the middle where they meet. The fluid leakind is dark brown (like old engine oil), so I dont think it is trany, but not sure. I get an oil change every month, so it never leaks enough to make it noticeable, but I want to get around to changing it rather soon.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Electrician

Looks like a good tune-up. But half those things I wouldn't of used.

All belts, especially the timing belt, from Honda.

All filters, from Honda.

Thermostat, from Honda.

And everything else that isn't Honda.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: (Deemeetree)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deemeetree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks like a good tune-up. But half those things I wouldn't of used.

All belts, especially the timing belt, from Honda.

All filters, from Honda.

Thermostat, from Honda.

And everything else that isn't Honda.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whats wrong with honda timing belts?
Old 08-24-2005, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Thanks for your help Honda-Tech, Just finished my Tune-up! (suncoastcustoms)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suncoastcustoms &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Next up is the Valve Lash Adjustment, I was impressed with how nice this looks after 110,000 miles:

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just curious, do you use synthetic oil?
Old 08-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thanks for your help Honda-Tech, Just finished my Tune-up! (suncoastcustoms)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suncoastcustoms &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I also noticed that either the tranny or the oil pan is leaking, any ideas from anyone on how to decide which one is leaking? Its kind of leaking from the middle where they meet. The fluid leakind is dark brown (like old engine oil), so I dont think it is trany, but not sure. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That would be your rear main seal. Pretty typical, mine does the same thing. I haven't looked into what's needed to replace it though.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Whats wrong with honda timing belts?</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's saying that all of the belts he would have used Honda, and I would have done the same. Everything that I've gotten for my car that wasnt OEM (rotor, plugs, belts) has ended up needing to be replaced with OEM stuff. I don't know why that is, since every other car I've owned has been fine with parts store stuf, but my civic only works on OEM (in the engine bay anyway).

Old 08-24-2005, 03:02 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Thanks for your help Honda-Tech, Just finished my Tune-up! (AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> That would be your rear main seal. Pretty typical, mine does the same thing. I haven't looked into what's needed to replace it though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

remove transmission, clutch disk and pressure plate, then its behind the flywheel
Old 08-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
He's saying that all of the belts he would have used Honda, and I would have done the same. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Great call, so which one of you two would like to show me the factory where Honda makes the belts?
Old 08-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Falqon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Falqon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Great call, so which one of you two would like to show me the factory where Honda makes the belts?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you saying that they're the same thing as the ones you will get at the parts store, just rebadged?

I've done alot of work on alot of different cars, and I can tell you that Honda OEM stuff is superior to what you will get at the parts store. I found out the hard way too many times to mention.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thanks for your help Honda-Tech, Just finished my Tune-up! (kkim)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kkim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just curious, do you use synthetic oil?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used it for a short time, but now travelling 30K miles a year to go to school, its just not worth and it and a little too expensive. Why do you ask?
Old 08-24-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Thanks for your help Honda-Tech, Just finished my Tune-up! (yebabee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yebabee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

remove transmission, clutch disk and pressure plate, then its behind the flywheel</TD></TR></TABLE>

What the hell is this guy talking about? Take your crank pulley off and scrape out the old seal, careful not to scrape any metal badly. Press new seal in and wala.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thanks for your help Honda-Tech, Just finished my Tune-up! (Bcuz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bcuz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What the hell is this guy talking about? Take your crank pulley off and scrape out the old seal, careful not to scrape any metal badly. Press new seal in and wala.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The oil is leaking from the other side, not the crank pullet side. It is leaking from between the transmission/block meet.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:28 PM

O my bad yebabee, gets an apology.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:41 PM
Electrician

Default Re: (Civicse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whats wrong with honda timing belts?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I was saying, I would've gotten nothing but Honda for most of those items.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I argee with the others. For belts, hoses, wires, etc. Honda all the way. Especially when it comes to plugs. Use NOTHING but OEM Honda Plugs.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deemeetree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's what I was saying, I would've gotten nothing but Honda for most of those items.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A little late now, but it's a little late now. I plan to have the car for 45K miles more. Just need it to last through the remainder of school.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suncoastcustoms)

NGK-R are in the Helms manual for a factory plug, not sure what the "real" factory plug is though.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:12 PM

I'm a noob, so excuse me if I ask stupid questions, where can I get oem honda parts other than the dealer? Can I ask for them at the parts store?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: (jdaniels)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm a noob, so excuse me if I ask stupid questions, where can I get oem honda parts other than the dealer? Can I ask for them at the parts store? </TD></TR></TABLE>

OMG THATS THE DUMBEST QUESTION EVER!

lol just kidding, you can only get oem honda stuffs from the dealer, but dont be surprissed when its about the same price if not cheaper then some of the generic stuff you find at a parts store.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suncoastcustoms &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I used it for a short time, but now travelling 30K miles a year to go to school, its just not worth and it and a little too expensive. Why do you ask?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The head looks very claen. I've noticed engines that use synthetics are cleaner than those that use conventional oil. Was just wondering if that was true in your case.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thanks for your help Honda-Tech, Just finished my Tune-up! (kkim)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kkim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The head looks very claen. I've noticed engines that use synthetics are cleaner than those that use conventional oil. Was just wondering if that was true in your case.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably has to do with my Oil Change regiment, once a month. Changing the oil regularly is the cheapest insurance I can buy with the accelerated abuse my care gets.

Modified by suncoastcustoms at 10:23 PM 8/24/2005
Old 08-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Once a month is a waste of oil and money.
syn oil can last up to 5000k + between oil changes.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thanks for your help Honda-Tech, Just finished my Tune-up! (The G2 Racer)

what if you drive 2500-3000 miles in month? Such as in my case.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thanks for your help Honda-Tech, Just finished my Tune-up! (The G2 Racer)

when it comes to aftermarket parts, i stay with oem parts only on things like Headgaskets, seals, and timing belts. most other things are debatable. we just replaced the cam seals on an H22 last week with an aftermarket seal (provided by the customer), it fit like **** and sure enough, as soon as we cranked the motor over it leak bad . i swore from that moment on only Honda parts for these areas.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good plugs, always go NGK.
Nagoya style baby. Although I use the G-power.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nocturnaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

OMG THATS THE DUMBEST QUESTION EVER!

lol just kidding, you can only get oem honda stuffs from the dealer, but dont be surprissed when its about the same price if not cheaper then some of the generic stuff you find at a parts store.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i see your in racine, which honda dealer is cheaper than an auto parts store, haha.

Quick Reply: Thanks for your help Honda-Tech, Just finished my Tune-up!