Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Test drove a new civic SI last night...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove a new civic SI last night...

And it was a joke, those things are slow as hell. The interior was pretty nice...had carbon fiber trim and recaro style seats, but man they have no power at all. The new shifter location is gay and the motor sounds like ****, can't even hear the IVTEC open up. I hope no one got suckered into buying one of these. I have much more love for the last generation of SI's. The new ones are ridiculous. Just thought I'd share...
Old 07-02-2002, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test drove a new civic SI last night... (KILLERB18)

Okay......but what do you really think? Naw, I saw one at the races 2 weeks ago, and the guy was trying to run anybody that would line up. Out of the hole, it was pretty strong, got the jump on a few cars, but after second gear, the hybrid cars were gone, it was pretty bad.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Test drove a new civic SI last night... (rodrez)

I think they suck. I launched hard at a light brought it to the rev limiter changed gears and wasn't impressed at all. I don't even think that simple bolt ons will do this car any justice. And the sticker price was $22,585??? What the hell???
Old 07-02-2002, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test drove a new civic SI last night... (beatdown88hf)

Someone in my area bought one and a couple months back I passed it as I was driving home, it was the first time I saw one, as I came up behind it I thought it was a little minivan or something... when I got beside it I saw the "iVTEC" stuff on the side and all... I really wasn't impressed, it really looks like a minivan for midgets... err... little people.

Justin D. Fender
Old 07-02-2002, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test drove a new civic SI last night... (muskrat)

Yeah honda needs to come out with some good sheit next time.....the new SI blows. Yes they did give it to us in a hatch back which is what all of us wanted but it just doesnt have any ***** since its so heavy....Im tired of seeing all these other co. come out with freakin badass cars ie the New lancer....WRX..... and we get the pathetic SI....but then again we do have a S2000 roadster which is going to cost around the same as the lancer so ummmm never mind
Old 07-02-2002, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they suck. I launched hard at a light brought it to the rev limiter changed gears and wasn't impressed at all. I don't even think that simple bolt ons will do this car any justice. And the sticker price was $22,585??? What the hell???
damn!!!22k? Here in tulsa they sticker for $19,460. Destination charge and all. then you can degotiate further.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Test drove a new civic SI last night... (TheRedSkoolingBus)

damn!!!22k? Here in tulsa they sticker for $19,460. Destination charge and all. then you can degotiate further.
yes, same here, although i think they are about $20,000 here.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:47 AM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: Test drove a new civic SI last night... (poison)

I like them. The 2.0 liter should respond to mods better, too. Did any of you really think the 99-00 SI was fast when you test drove it? haha Did you get out of it and say "holy **** this stock civic is fast"? lol I hope not
Old 07-02-2002, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test drove a new civic SI last night... (vtecvoodoo)

I like 'em too.

Waiting for CTR to come stateside. You can bet I will have one.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test drove a new civic SI last night... (e-drunkWAFFLES)

I think this review is gay
Old 07-02-2002, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like them. The 2.0 liter should respond to mods better, too. Did any of you really think the 99-00 SI was fast when you test drove it? haha Did you get out of it and say "holy **** this stock civic is fast"? lol I hope not
exactly.

also, the '02 Si might not FEEL fast...that's what a smooth powerband will do for. not a dramatic 'whoa' when Vtec kicks in like a b16 would be. no having to downshift to get any power out of the engine and you don't have to rev to 8K before you get anything. i know a guy that's run a 15.4/90 in his bone stock '02. that's not bad at all.....the '99/00 Si's aren't any more capable, if at all, than that time.

i seriously don't understand why the import community is obsessed with a vtec 'kick' or a 'sound'...that's the biggest load of crap i've ever heard. it's some kind of mass hysteria. having a dramitic HP or TQ increase in a certain RPM range isn't exactly something i would strive for if i was an engine builder....

and of course a hybrid would walk one to whoever was talking about that. hybrids walk every civic Si honda has ever produced. the '99 Si posts a BLAZING 15.3/4 or so if you're a good driver. whoa.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not too hot on the apperance of the new Si, but I really like the looks of the Type R. I think the 15s on the new Si are hideous. The Type R's wheels look ten-fold better, and so does the body kit (if you can call it that).

But yes, the new Si does look similar to a mini mini-van. If you look in this month's issue of Honda Tuning, they do a double feature with a done-up Oddessy and a done up Si. It's amazing how much the new Si looks like a mini Oddessy!
Old 07-02-2002, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Test drove a new civic SI last night... (Rudy)

Heh,some of you guys are really funny.Mine is NO SLOWER than my 00 was when it was new.And that thing was SLOW until it racked up some miles,and got some mods.The new Si has WAY more potential then the 99-00 had.As for looks,well,beauty is in the eye of the beholder.I didnt like it the day i bought it honestly.I got it home,and in the garage where the 00 used to reside,and said out loud"OMG this thing is ugly,what did i do" But now i love it.And whats even funnier,is you know how everyones on this JDM kick? well,a few friends of mine just got back from Osaka,Japan,and they said damn near ALL the cars there resemble my 02.People want the "JDM look" and well,we have a civic thats as close to the real deal as we have ever recieved,and people arent interested.And for the record,i hardly paid more for my 02 than i did for my 00.....Have to be CRAZY to pay 19k+ for one........
Old 07-02-2002, 12:24 PM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: Test drove a new civic SI last night... (Charged2000Si)

btw, I "borrowed" an 02 SI and dropped it off at Jackson Racing 3 weeks ago. They should have a kit ready in about a month I believe.

Ryan
Old 07-02-2002, 12:31 PM
TheHater

Default Re: Test drove a new civic SI last night...

Eyyy Eyyy ay . I tell you what to do . Get In either a ITR, Or a 99-00 Si so you could get some real power.

[Modified by BOOSTINSI, 11:45 PM 7/2/2002]
Old 07-02-2002, 12:34 PM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: Test drove a new civic SI last night... (BOOSTINSI)

yah lol
Old 07-02-2002, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The K20A is really more of an economy motor than a power motor. If you read the K-Series breakdown in last months Honda Tuning, you'll see that they went to great lengths to squeeze efficiency out, not HP, with items like the 2 chamber intake manifold and weird "pocketed" pistons.

Their review of the K20A2 (RSX-S motor) was much more inspiring and hopefully, we'll see a detuned version of it in upcoming Si's with the K20A going on to replace the d-series motors in the base cars. At leas that SEEMS like a logical plan to me.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test drove a new civic SI last night... (94CivicSi)

I am glad I baught my 99si for 16,200 brand new and did not wait for the 02 POS with same amount of HP but more TQ that does nothing for it extra 100+pounds of weight but I would not mind one as my daily driver the inside rules I love it compard yo my interior
Old 07-02-2002, 01:40 PM
YodaIsGod

Default Re: Test drove a new civic SI last night... (underrated99si)

there are three 2002 Si's sitting over at my local Honda Dealer. All above 20K in price. One black, one silver, one Inca pearl....they have been there since the end of May. That should tell you something.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test drove a new civic SI last night... (YodaIsGod)

We have 3 at our dealer and have been there for at least 2 months. I like the white one with the factory fogs and I do believe they could be a decent looking car lowered, with at least 16's, and some mods to help out the hp problem. I'll take my no car payment to a $400 a month new Si though..
Old 07-02-2002, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Test drove a new civic SI last night... (YodaIsGod)

there are three 2002 Si's sitting over at my local Honda Dealer. All above 20K in price. One black, one silver, one Inca pearl....they have been there since the end of May. That should tell you something.
hmmm... I've never noticed but you're right.

I have never seen a 02 Si on the road but the dealer has three or four of them. Wonder what sales are like elsewhere?

I have driven the new Si and I have to admit I kinda liked it. I think it's just hard to get used to since VTEC is not as pronounced. But for $22,000 I think I would get a RSX Type S.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:26 PM

ahh they aren't bad looking, it's growing on me (which i knew would happen). the CTR is nice, just can't wait to see some CR-V with Type S head hybriders, or the CTR in the states
Old 07-02-2002, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My friends new Si, I like it minus the stickers. This car is not slower than a 00 Si, I've seen him race another one of our friends that has a 00 Si and the 02 has won every single time.

This 02 Si has Neuspeed springs, and an injen warmair intake...
The 00 Si has Skunk2 coilovers, and AEM coldair intake...

Old 07-02-2002, 06:02 PM
New User

Default Re: Test drove a new civic SI last night... (poison)

haha! 99-00 Si' are the best
Old 07-02-2002, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test drove a new civic SI last night... (Boost Pressure)

If u look on the right side of the picture u can the 02 owner weights about 300 pounds...

This Si is currently getting a custom turbo put in... I'll post pics when its done.

[Modified by Boost Pressure, 7:03 PM 7/2/2002]

Quick Reply: Test drove a new civic SI last night...