Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tein HAs, AHHHHHH

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein HAs, AHHHHHH

hey ppls, i have a problem, i just got some TEIN HAs, and the thing is, the ******* collars wil not go down, the lil ones do, but not the big ones to adjust the height, i have tried everything i could think of, i know it has to be from dirt and grime, has anyone ever encountered this problem, i have tried to use all my strength to bust it loose, no dice, i even had one of my other friends try, NADA, i tried WD40, nothing, hitting the collar with a flat head and a hammer, nothing, i was thinking about sending them to TEIN to get them refinished or watever it is they do to them, any suggestions?
Old 09-25-2005, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tein HAs, AHHHHHH (SPNFEDEJ)

on my coilovers there are 3 little allens screws that lock my collors, look inside your sleeve look for any locking type screw or anything
Old 09-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tein HAs, AHHHHHH (tuck'd98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuck’d98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on my coilovers there are 3 little allens screws that lock my collors, look inside your sleeve look for any locking type screw or anything</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea there are no screws
Old 09-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

of there are notches on the collar to turn them. they should have came with wrenches, thats how my skunk2s work, and many others i've seen
Old 09-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you still have the spanning wrenches that came with them?

Unless something's changed (I bought my HAs a lonnnnnnng time ago), the spring adjustment collar is comprised of two nuts. Before you can adjust ride height you need to remove the tension between the two nuts. To lock the height you push the two nuts against each other by turning one left, the other right until sufficient tension is made so the little bastards won't move. To unlock the adjustment you push them in opposite directions (screw the bottom collar down, the top collar up).

If you're trying to turn the top collar down without first unscrewing the bottom collar - it just ain't gonna move.

If it's corroded, soak it in WD40. Hell, even if it's not corroded, soak it anyway. Once you get sufficient tension between the two collars they won't move, WD40 just makes it easier to work with them.

Good luck.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tein HAs, AHHHHHH (MonkeyBoy668)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MonkeyBoy668 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you still have the spanning wrenches that came with them?

Unless something's changed (I bought my HAs a lonnnnnnng time ago), the spring adjustment collar is comprised of two nuts. Before you can adjust ride height you need to remove the tension between the two nuts. To lock the height you push the two nuts against each other by turning one left, the other right until sufficient tension is made so the little bastards won't move. To unlock the adjustment you push them in opposite directions (screw the bottom collar down, the top collar up).

If you're trying to turn the top collar down without first unscrewing the bottom collar - it just ain't gonna move.

If it's corroded, soak it in WD40. Hell, even if it's not corroded, soak it anyway. Once you get sufficient tension between the two collars they won't move, WD40 just makes it easier to work with them.

Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

from his post im assuming he knows this since he said the bottom one is already down. on another note, i have skunks and with dirt and grit and **** they get to be a pain but try raising it first to see if itll move that way and if it does raise it and clean it and then lower it back down. thats how i usually do mine.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tein HAs, AHHHHHH (isumase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by isumase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from his post im assuming he knows this since he said the bottom one is already down. on another note, i have skunks and with dirt and grit and **** they get to be a pain but try raising it first to see if itll move that way and if it does raise it and clean it and then lower it back down. thats how i usually do mine.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well, as I said my HAs are quite old, and on mine the two collars are exactly the same size. I guess if they changed to having the lower collar be smaller then that makes sense. Sorry, not trying to be a dick, just trying to explain my experience with HAs.

I agree that soaking the SOBs in penetrant, soap & water, whatever, is a good first step to un-sticking them. Hell, I had mine on for a week and they became tough to work with without some kind of lubricant.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tein HAs, AHHHHHH (MonkeyBoy668)

thanks for the responses, yea i have tried raising it, and it just wont budge at all, i even strained my back cause of this ****, and yea i have the wrenches, but not helping it out
Old 09-25-2005, 05:45 PM

vise and a big pipe wrench
Old 09-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 09-27-2005, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone else? i would really like to put these on my car