Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Take a listen to my motor and tell me what you think

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 02:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Take a listen to my motor and tell me what you think

I've been cringing at the thought that my motor might be toast. The sound is coming from the pulley/timing belt area. What do you guys think?

http://smg.photobucket.com/alb...8.flv
Old 09-21-2006, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is this supposed to be a link to a video or audio file? It only links to a very blurry picture of your power steering resevoir...
Old 09-21-2006, 02:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (imm0rt41)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by imm0rt41 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is this supposed to be a link to a video or audio file? It only links to a very blurry picture of your power steering resevoir...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry fixed it.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uh ya, something isn't right for sure. how's it run?
Old 09-21-2006, 02:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (brick top)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brick top &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uh ya, something isn't right for sure. how's it run?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It runs OK, the CEL comes on b/c I need to replace the cat on it but this obviously isn't linked to it. The motor only has 90K
Old 09-21-2006, 02:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (SIRIUS)

Tough to tell b/c the vid sucks but it's a 00 Si w/the never opened B16. Basic boltons. Ughhh, I'm dreading taking this thing somewhere.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well that sounds to me like whatever it is is scraping at a fairly low RPM (due to the gap between the noises) so it could be something like the power steering pump, AC compressor, or something else that isn't spinning quite as quick as the motor. Possibly the timing belt hitting the cover?
Old 09-21-2006, 03:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (imm0rt41)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by imm0rt41 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well that sounds to me like whatever it is is scraping at a fairly low RPM (due to the gap between the noises) so it could be something like the power steering pump, AC compressor, or something else that isn't spinning quite as quick as the motor. Possibly the timing belt hitting the cover?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I thought that it might be one of the accesories or possibly the pulleys? Thanks for your input I'm at the point that I just might put it away for the winter and deal with it in the fall.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a belt nailing something. Sounds too spongy if you listen close to for it to be metal on metal, sounds more like rubber on metal or something to that effect. Look down in there and specify where the noise is coming from exactly. I mean obviously the right side of the engine (when looking at it) but that doesn't mean ****. Stick your head in there and ****, go under the car. Find out where it's coming from. Back, front? Engine side, mount side?, Top, botttom? Middle? etc. etc. etc. etc.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:01 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like a belt nailing something. Sounds too spongy if you listen close to for it to be metal on metal, sounds more like rubber on metal or something to that effect. Look down in there and specify where the noise is coming from exactly. I mean obviously the right side of the engine (when looking at it) but that doesn't mean ****. Stick your head in there and ****, go under the car. Find out where it's coming from. Back, front? Engine side, mount side?, Top, botttom? Middle? etc. etc. etc. etc.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for taking the time, I was thinking the same thing b/c it doesn't sound like it's "metallic". I'm going to put the car up on stands this weekend and dive into it and see if I can narrow it down a little. Thanks again, I posted this on another board and one suggestion was that maybe it's a spun bearing??? I hope not. Wouldn't that cause driveability issues????
Old 09-22-2006, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIRIUS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks for taking the time, I was thinking the same thing b/c it doesn't sound like it's "metallic". I'm going to put the car up on stands this weekend and dive into it and see if I can narrow it down a little. Thanks again, I posted this on another board and one suggestion was that maybe it's a spun bearing??? I hope not. Wouldn't that cause driveability issues????</TD></TR></TABLE>

Usually. I don't think it's a spun bearing.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you dont see anyhting I would try removing the accessory belts and see if it goes away. The car will run without them for a bit at least untill the battery starts to discarge.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:33 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (instructor74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you dont see anyhting I would try removing the accessory belts and see if it goes away. The car will run without them for a bit at least untill the battery starts to discarge.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good plan thanks.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instructor74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you dont see anyhting I would try removing the accessory belts and see if it goes away. The car will run without them for a bit at least untill the battery starts to discarge.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True dat
Old 09-22-2006, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Take a listen to my motor and tell me what you think (SIRIUS)

i have the same problem with my car...... its a belt rubbing something forsure...... mines ended up being my alternater belt.......look at your belts to see if it shows any sign of wear and tear.... then go from there
Old 09-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Take a listen to my motor and tell me what you think (SonicRacing)

One of your belts could be flapping against a cover... maybe it's too loose or something.

Definately doesn't sound like a spun bearing to me though.