Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tachometer in a 1997 Civic Dx coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tachometer in a 1997 Civic Dx coupe

OK, so i just bougth this civic its a 97, has no tach. My question here is that, if i go to a junkyard and buy an instrument cluster for the same model with a tach in it, will it start working as soon as i plug it in or additional wiring required.

The other thing that is bugging me is that the passenger side front wheel is closer to the wheel well on the rear than the drivers side one. The drivers side wheel is perfectly in center, just the passenger side wheel looks like an inch out of place, an inch behind where it is supposed to be, or ist just the body kit installation that makes it look weird. Could this be a suspension issue. The car however has no problems driving in a steright line, the alignment feels alright.

there are some more issues with it, here are some more photos, and one of the engine bay, any one notice any thing wrong, or missing, let me know, i am just a noob here. Thanks.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:20 PM

Yes, a cluster from an ex or any ek with a tach will just plug right in and work. Don't know about your wheel issue though.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: (homemadeturbo)

Does your car pull to the left or right or anything? I would go get my alignment checked out sounds like caster is off. Yes, the tach cluster will just plug and play.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:06 PM

put the car on some jack stands see if anything is lose on the lower controle arm looks like the fenders dont line up right that car hit something b4? if so it wouldnt hurt to get it up on a rack at all
Old 12-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you people, i dont think that the car hit any thing, although the airbags ARE gone, which means there must have been a front impact, but not bad enough to damage the chassis, or suspension, or the guys just took out the airbags just to replace the steering wheel.

Well any way, i am going to take it to a mechanic and have the control arm checked, its most probably a suspension issue, cause the wheel well itself is in line and most of the front engine bay looks clean (well other than the dirt).

The car has a very amazing heater, heats the interior in minutes, you certainly need that in michigan.

The other question here is, does this car look riced out? i mean does this body kit and the rims look bad on it? i will post more photos of it so you guys can please post an opinion. thanks alot.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (billa48)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by billa48 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thank you people, i dont think that the car hit any thing, although the airbags ARE gone, which means there must have been a front impact, but not bad enough to damage the chassis, or suspension, or the guys just took out the airbags just to replace the steering wheel.

Well any way, i am going to take it to a mechanic and have the control arm checked, its most probably a suspension issue, cause the wheel well itself is in line and most of the front engine bay looks clean (well other than the dirt).

The car has a very amazing heater, heats the interior in minutes, you certainly need that in michigan.

The other question here is, does this car look riced out? i mean does this body kit and the rims look bad on it? i will post more photos of it so you guys can please post an opinion. thanks alot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the body kit looks very tacky, and rims are
but make it the way you want, not to impress others.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oya, one should be satisfied with his ride. Oh well, but im not going to put any stickers or any of that kind of crap on it. Id rather spend on a better suspension and some interior clean up. thanks.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so this truly works. I just went to a junkyard and bought a cluster with a tachometer in it. Plugged it in and it works!, no additional wiring or any thing required, it just works all by itself. I didnt want to install an aftermarket meter and i think the original works great and is like factory fitted in the cluster, what else would i want. I just paid 30 bux for the whole meter.

The wheel problem is solved aswell, not fixed yet though, its the control arm and the rear bush that holds it in place. The lower control arm is bent and the lower bush is deteriorated, its so lame in that brace that it is moving without force applied. Hence the wheel apprears to have moved 3 backward. Oh well thats done with now.

Now i need more info, there isnt any backlight on my meters, wasnt in the old one and isnt in the new one either, i think its a cluster light fuse, but i have no manual for this car or any idea where that fuse might be.

My car looks like a heavily played with machine, it has wiring cut and sticking out every where, loose or just hanging. I need to do alot of work on this car to get it to a 100% optimal performace, for now its just rolling.

The idiots who had it last, couldnt even spend some money on a factory audio player conversion jack, they just cut the wires right out of it, which is pretty fckin stupid because now i'll have to spend a day finding out which wire is which, oh well.