Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tach bouncing in vtec *searched*

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tach bouncing in vtec *searched*

ok it just started yesterday. was cruinin around and took my dad for a drive in my car with the b16 swap i did about 1600 km ago. took it up to about 7500 or so (cause my tach is off cause vtec doesnt kick in on my tach till about 6000) and i noticed as soon as vtec kicked in the tach kind of bounced up and down a bit, then i tested it again this morning before work and its doing the same thing. i cant tell if its affecting the performance or not, but last night i thought it was. might have been just me tho... but ill test it again today after work on the highway.

anybody know what would cause this at all? i thought it might be a head gasket or something crazy like that, but its not overheating and no smoke at all.

ps-just for ***** i checked my coolant and it was down a tiny bit, but i never put none in sine the swap, so i dont think its loosing it anywheres.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tach bouncing in vtec *searched* (CRXified)

Perhaps your tach isn't hooked up correctly?

what car is this in?
Old 06-07-2005, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tach bouncing in vtec *searched* (james p.)

Aftermarket tach or stock tach? If it's aftermarket, make sure you soldered your connections.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

was there any high rpm hesitation or miss? possibly your crank angle sensor could be going bad, or your ignitor/ignition control module could be going bad. Some may argue and say you have a bad ground somewhere.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tach bouncing in vtec *searched* (Huggy Bear)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ****** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aftermarket tach or stock tach? If it's aftermarket, make sure you soldered your connections.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the car is a CX with an EX cluster. im in canada so here the EX had a cluster. and the cluster worked fine before, i had it in for 2000 km with no problems at all till just yesterday.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Huggy Bear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">was there any high rpm hesitation or miss? possibly your crank angle sensor could be going bad, or your ignitor/ignition control module could be going bad. Some may argue and say you have a bad ground somewhere.</TD></TR></TABLE>

where is the crank angle sensor located? there may have been a little high rpm miss, but like i said before i couldnt check it this morning before work. ill check it after work. as for the ignitor in the dizzy, when i bought the swap the dizzy looked brand new and even the person that helped my with the swap said it looked like it was just replaced.

i do have a cam seal leak, and i read in a post somewheres that maybe oil is geting into the dizzy? i havent pulled the cap off yet either to look. i hope its not too serious

anymore suggestions?
Old 06-07-2005, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and no CEL yet either
Old 06-07-2005, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The crank angle sensor is underneath the crankshaft pulley and timing belt cover. You basically have to remove everything you would to replace the timing belt to get to the sensor. If you're looking at the crankshaft sprocket, it's mounted just to the right of the sprocket.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tach bouncing in vtec *searched* (******)

a bouncing tach is a sign that the igniter is dying. Replace it ASAP before it leaves you stranded.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like u need a new speed sensor, it should be on located on the top of ur tranny..
Old 06-07-2005, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXified &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> as for the ignitor in the dizzy, when i bought the swap the dizzy looked brand new and even the person that helped my with the swap said it looked like it was just replaced. </TD></TR></TABLE>

some people purchase their replacement distributors from distributor king, as might be the case for you. while i reccomend their distributors all day long the ignitor/ignition control modules in them are junk. i bought 2 of their distributors at the same time for the same OBD0 B16A engine and both ignitor/ignition control modules went bad within a few hours of install. after i replaced it with the one from my orginal busted distributor the problem went away.

You could always get the new MSD Billet distributor, that ish is HOTT!
Old 06-07-2005, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Huggy Bear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

some people purchase their replacement distributors from distributor king, as might be the case for you. while i reccomend their distributors all day long the ignitor/ignition control modules in them are junk. i bought 2 of their distributors at the same time for the same OBD0 B16A engine and both ignitor/ignition control modules went bad within a few hours of install. after i replaced it with the one from my orginal busted distributor the problem went away.

You could always get the new MSD Billet distributor, that ish is HOTT!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice Avatar!!!
Old 06-07-2005, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18BlackEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like u need a new speed sensor, it should be on located on the top of ur tranny..</TD></TR></TABLE>

wouldnt that effect the speedo too? and vtec still works fine.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Huggy Bear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You could always get the new MSD Billet distributor, that ish is HOTT!</TD></TR></TABLE>

so it sounds like a ignitor problem eh? hmm any way i can check to make sure its that? and would a bad ignitor cause the car to miss at high RPM and such?
thanks
Old 06-07-2005, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXified &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so it sounds like a ignitor problem eh? hmm any way i can check to make sure its that? and would a bad ignitor cause the car to miss at high RPM and such?
thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

At this point i would say yes. if i had stayed at UTi i could tell you to use a voltmeter and tell me what it says, but funds ran low, lol. you could buy one at your local autopart store for a 95 delsol VTEC. BUT thats like $75 US. if i am not mistaken Distributor king is a candian company. yes under full throttle especially higher RPMs the car would sputter like mad, and it will get worse. see if you have DOHC VTEC buddy that would let you borrow his. but be careful to use the right tools to remove any nuts/bolts. these are a pain in the **** to replace or remove once stripped.

Should you feel the need to remove the distributor, so you dont mess your timing up put a small scratch on the metal on the distributor where it meets with the head where the top bolt is. probably way too comfusing with out pics.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

At this point i would say yes. if i had stayed at UTi i could tell you to use a voltmeter and tell me what it says, but funds ran low, lol. you could buy one at your local autopart store for a 95 delsol VTEC. BUT thats like $75 US. if i am not mistaken Distributor king is a candian company. yes under full throttle especially higher RPMs the car would sputter like mad, and it will get worse. see if you have DOHC VTEC buddy that would let you borrow his. but be careful to use the right tools to remove any nuts/bolts. these are a pain in the **** to replace or remove once stripped.

Should you feel the need to remove the distributor, so you dont mess your timing up put a small scratch on the metal on the distributor where it meets with the head where the top bolt is. probably way too comfusing with out pics.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no man i hear ya, ill get his dizzy and try that to see if it makes a difference. and i know what u mean by putting a scratch or mark on there, we just timed up my car the other day too. i hope its just the ignitor, nothing more serious than that. after work ill see what i can find out and give my friend a call then ill come back here and let u know if thats what it was. thanks for the help
Old 06-07-2005, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the hotness
http://www.msdignition.com/2005/2005_6.htm
Old 06-07-2005, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tach bouncing in vtec *searched* (g2crx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g2crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the hotness
http://www.msdignition.com/2005/2005_6.htm</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha ur right
Old 06-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for other suggestions while im at work to try when im off?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

**updated**

ok took it for a drive at lunch and it works like ****, as soon as the tach hits like 5000-5500 RPM the tach goes all crazy and it misses pretty bad, would this be the ignitor? anything else that would cause this that u know of?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think ignitor as well with the rest of these people.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Tach bouncing in vtec *searched* (james p.)

I had the same problem i called autometer and told him that the needle kept bouncing and he said the wired are to close to something or hook up to the wrong thing (something about the ignitor), call 8158990801 (Autometer) they can help you out...I havent fixed the problem yet but i need to find another friend who can do it..
Old 06-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tach bouncing in vtec *searched* (A-busive)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by A-busive &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the same problem i called autometer and told him that the needle kept bouncing and he said the wired are to close to something or hook up to the wrong thing (something about the ignitor), call 8158990801 (Autometer) they can help you out...I havent fixed the problem yet but i need to find another friend who can do it..</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont have an autometer tach and cant see how they can help me

but im gonna try to swap dizzys with somebody after work to see what happens.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Tach bouncing in vtec *searched* (fastwanabe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastwanabe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a bouncing tach is a sign that the igniter is dying. Replace it ASAP before it leaves you stranded.</TD></TR></TABLE>

CORRECT

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18BlackEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like u need a new speed sensor, it should be on located on the top of ur tranny..</TD></TR></TABLE>

WRONG

dude get a clue before you post wrong info please....

the speed sensor has NOTHING to do with the TACH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXified &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**updated**

ok took it for a drive at lunch and it works like ****, as soon as the tach hits like 5000-5500 RPM the tach goes all crazy and it misses pretty bad, would this be the ignitor? anything else that would cause this that u know of?</TD></TR></TABLE>
as stated before....YOU NEED A NEW IGNITOR 90 buck new from parts store or I WOULD SUGGEST just getting a whole new dizzy from dizzyking a board sponsor!!

it is your ignitor...

unless someone did a crap wire job on your car!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Tach bouncing in vtec *searched* (chad)

Ignitor. Gauranteed.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:28 PM

Ahh well we found the conclusion case closed

Quick Reply: Tach bouncing in vtec *searched*