Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

symptoms of a bad dizzy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default symptoms of a bad dizzy?

What are some symptoms of a bad dizzy? I recently changed the plugs and wires which solved my start up issue, but i'm still having a hesitation w/o any check lights....I've heard that the distributor is a common problem that goes wrong w/obd1 Hondas.

motor is a b16a2 btw

Any help is appreciated

ps-where do u all order the distributor from?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: symptoms of a bad dizzy?

You should also replace the cap and rotor and set the ignition timing to spec. Then go from there.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alrighty...is there a certain place that you recommend to buy all three?

I read on multiple threads on websites that the signs i'm getting are common w/distributors going bad as well as it is a common problem w/these motors and cars.

Hesitation on startup (replaced plugs and wires and got a lil better though) hesitation and break up through rpms...steadily got worse, then would go away, but now it's a full time thing...only good thing is my car starts everytime.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tallguy21

I read on multiple threads on websites that the signs i'm getting are common w/distributors going bad as well as it is a common problem w/these motors and cars.

Hesitation on startup (replaced plugs and wires and got a lil better though) hesitation and break up through rpms...steadily got worse, then would go away, but now it's a full time thing...only good thing is my car starts everytime.
Do the cap and rotor.

Did you check the coil?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's the distributor layout in terms of spark production:

ICM ---> coil ---> distributor rotor ---> distributor cap ---> plug wires ---> spark plug

You only did a partial tune up because the cap and rotor are just as important as the wires and plugs. Spark problems will occur if any one component of the ignition system is not working properly. You could certainly replace the entire distributor (and should if it has more than 150 K miles), but also consider that a worn/damaged cap and rotor may be the problem. This fix would be less expensive. Obviously, a bad ICM or coil could also cause spark problems, but you can test those.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Here's the distributor layout in terms of spark production:

ICM ---> coil ---> distributor rotor ---> distributor cap ---> plug wires ---> spark plug

You only did a partial tune up because the cap and rotor are just as important as the wires and plugs. Spark problems will occur if any one component of the ignition system is not working properly. You could certainly replace the entire distributor (and should if it has more than 150 K miles), but also consider that a worn/damaged cap and rotor may be the problem. This fix would be less expensive. Obviously, a bad ICM or coil could also cause spark problems, but you can test those.
Ron, how do you test the coil?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motegicivic
Ron, how do you test the coil?
Resistance. You'll find diagrams (92-95 and 96-00 Civics) in the FAQs sticky.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but when replacing the entire distributor will that replace the cap and rotor? or when buying a dizzy does that only replace that piece by itself?

And what does ICM mean? I'm sorry for the newb questions, but i'd rather do this myself then pay Honda 95.00 an hour to just tell me what it is, when that money could go towards the part.

I was reading your check for spark thread, would any of that indicate if the cap/rotor or dizzy is bad?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but when replacing the entire distributor will that replace the cap and rotor? or when buying a dizzy does that only replace that piece by itself?

And what does ICM mean? I'm sorry for the newb questions, but i'd rather do this myself then pay Honda 95.00 an hour to just tell me what it is, when that money could go towards the part.

I was reading your check for spark thread, would any of that indicate if the cap/rotor or dizzy is bad?
Sometimes unit from parts stores with have the cap and rotor and honda units will not. Problem is aftermarket is not as reliable, or at least rebuilt ones.

Go the simple cheapest route change out the cap and rotor first. The dizzy is expensive. And check the coil.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sometimes unit from parts stores with have the cap and rotor and honda units will not. Problem is aftermarket is not as reliable, or at least rebuilt ones.

Go the simple cheapest route change out the cap and rotor first. The dizzy is expensive. And check the coil.
^I agree.

When you buy a new OEM distributor housing, it will not come with the cap and rotor. And definitely only buy an OEM distributor, if that's the route you are set on. But before you do, at least remove the cap and rotor and inspect them for wear, corrosion, and damage. My guess is that they're in bad shape, so IMO start by replacing them first.

ICM = ignition control module (it sits next to the coil inside the distributor)

The spark test may miss moderate/modest ignition system problems that result in intermittent misfiring. It would reveal, however, if one the spark plugs lacks spark.

Last edited by Former User; 08-09-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the info, i'm going to pick everything up today...hopefully it's just the cap and rotor though. I'll post how it goes after the fact. Just outta curiosity, if i'm not throwing a check light left and right would there be any other things I should maybe look out for if this doesn't solve my issues?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just outta curiosity, if i'm not throwing a check light left and right would there be any other things I should maybe look out for if this doesn't solve my issues?
-ignition timing
-coil
-ICM
-fuel filter
Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cool, thanks, I appreciate it
Old 08-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright, went and bought a cap, rotor and fuel filter...the fuel filter had **** brown looking gas pouring out so i'm assuming that needed to be done regardless....car was acting this morning before I did anything....changed the rotor only, tried to clean up the metal points inside the old cap being that the new one didn't sit flush and didn't fit over the stock dizzy....but now the car won't start and is doing what it did before hand..

checked the plugs again and they are very black.....what would keep fouling out the plugs? Changed the rotor....cleaned the cap, fuel filter was changed and did brand new oe wires as well as plugs...plugs are shot now btw the it seems...

does that sound like dizzy? or something else?

any help would be appreciated....still trying to avoid the dreaded dealer lol..

thanks for all of your help.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What kind of cap did you get? I would stick with a honda cap and rotor.

Plugs are messed up? are they coated with oil? or carbon?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What kind of cap did you get? I would stick with a honda cap and rotor.

Plugs are messed up? are they coated with oil? or carbon?
bought the duralast gold combo cap/rotor....rotor only fit though : / had a five year warranty thought it would be alright, but I guess not..blah

and the plugs just looked like the car was running rich....smelled more like gasoline then anything.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you remove the old gasket? Did you check the firing order and make sure you put the wire back the right way?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 0930_SI
Did you remove the old gasket? Did you check the firing order and make sure you put the wire back the right way?
I left the old gasket in there....guess u can tell i'm new at this lol..

the gasket didn't seem bad though...but I can put the new one in, but being that the cap didn't sit flush I didn't bother w/the new ring.

and that was a question I was going to ask, (about the firing order) I googled and searched here and found what I think is right for the b16a2, but to be honest i'm not sure...

any chance you or anybody really could post the firing order just so I know for sure that I put it all back together correctly.?

Throwing it out there I have pics of what the plugs look like as well as the dizzy when the cap is off if that would help anything.....like I said before I fully appreciate you alls help.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am wondering did you leave the orig o ring on? Are you sure you got the right cap........even aftermarket should fit.......any chance the dizzy is wrong? another owner put wrong dizzy on?

Ron would know firing order for that engine, you tired to google and nothing?

Too bad you didn't do one wire at a time?
Old 08-11-2011, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I googled the firing order and the firing order is the one that Ron posted up a while back for somebody...when I find the link i'll post it up to see if it's correct....as for the dizzy, how would I know if it's wrong or not? the new cap/and rotor seemed to fit fine except the cap didn't fit flush, it just had the same general shape as the old one did which was weird.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=179941 this is the diagram I was using...but the way the dizzy sits the two bolt holes to the right are at the top...at least that's how it looks on mine.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man I'll post a pic tonight after work...
Old 08-11-2011, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 0930_SI
Man I'll post a pic tonight after work...
I appreciate you...i'd be pretty irrate w/myself if I put the plug wires on wrong lol...pretty happy in the same if it were the same.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hope it helps, B16 firing order
Old 08-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for posting that up. I'll double check that here shortly. Ill let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: symptoms of a bad dizzy?