Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

switching to synthetic this late?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default switching to synthetic this late?

Hey guys i get free castrol syntec at my work and i was wondering if i should switch my car to it? It has almost 200,000km's and i believe its been running on conventional or at least since ive had it but do u think it would be okay to switch over?
Old 07-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: switching to synthetic this late?

does it burn oil?
Old 07-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Couldn't hurt.

Synthetic for life!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Throw some synthetic in there. If it burns it, throw some regular in it next time.

My EM1 burned synthetic. It doesn't burn regular. I tried synthetic once or twice. Now it's just on regular.

It's not rocket surgery or brain science. Just pour the **** in there and see what happens.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

free oil.
don't see why not
Old 07-02-2009, 11:01 PM

Do it.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell yeah do it. I have never had a problem with burning synthetic. I always run synthetic, in every car as soon as possible. Especially if you get it free.... are you kidding me? Of course you should lol. Change it out at 2000 miles and keep your internals sparkling.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:17 PM

2000 miles?! Why? What's with everyone obsessing over oil?

I track my S2000 and I change it either every 3k or every 2-4 track events. The 2 -4track events usually come first....

My EM is my DD and it gets oil changes with reuglar *** oil every 3-5k miles. it has 133k on it and it runs great.

Keep your internals sparkling? for...what...??
Old 07-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
2000 miles?! Why? What's with everyone obsessing over oil?

I track my S2000 and I change it either every 3k or every 2-4 track events. The 2 -4track events usually come first....

My EM is my DD and it gets oil changes with reuglar *** oil every 3-5k miles. it has 133k on it and it runs great.

Keep your internals sparkling? for...what...??
Because its free...duh. I guess you can run it to what its supposed to but if I didn't have to pay for it i'd probably change my oil every time i was bored. Why not??? Why don't you obsess over your oil? Bad oil=Bad day
Old 07-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Free oil. Can I have some
Old 07-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't use it, but that's just me. I would stick with conventional and change it regularly. Give it to someone who uses synthetic in their vehicle.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by MHDesigns
Because its free...duh. I guess you can run it to what its supposed to but if I didn't have to pay for it i'd probably change my oil every time i was bored. Why not??? Why don't you obsess over your oil? Bad oil=Bad day
It's free so use the hell out of it?
Old 07-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah i think im gonna try it but it does burn a little oil so i dont know if its gonna make it worse with the synthetic?
Old 07-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

its free do it,
i agree with eveything B serious said
Old 07-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you have been running regular all this time, take advantage of the free synth and change it at 500 miles twice to fully get rid of the regular, or do an engine flush with some diesel. PM me if you wanna know more info.

its not healthy for the motor to suddenly see a different type of oil, one is thick at start up and takes a bit to thin out, the other is thin after only a minute or so of operation
Old 07-03-2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by mattliston
if you have been running regular all this time, take advantage of the free synth and change it at 500 miles twice to fully get rid of the regular, or do an engine flush with some diesel. PM me if you wanna know more info.

its not healthy for the motor to suddenly see a different type of oil, one is thick at start up and takes a bit to thin out, the other is thin after only a minute or so of operation
Clean it out with diesel? Change it at 500 miles twice? Whose rules are these?!

You don't need to do any of that. You're not going to hurt the motor's feelings. Engines don't get "used to" things like that.

Originally Posted by riS.I.R
Yeah i think im gonna try it but it does burn a little oil so i dont know if its gonna make it worse with the synthetic?

It will probably burn more synthetic. But it depends...who knows. Just pour the damn bottle in there and see what happens.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

engines do get used to stuff like that. different oil has different thickness, and running with a mix (drain only gets like 40% of the oil) isnt that great of an idea. thats why I say 500 miles, plenty of time for the new oil to mix and clean a bit, next oil change, should be closer to full synthetic in the motor.

THESE ARE MY RULES, so dont think its by the book. its a method I have used, because I am extremely **** about my motor and do the best for it to keep it clean and running.

the diesel is an awesome cleaner. you fill it via the oil cap hole, top it off to the oil cap hole. let it sit for at least 24 hours. clear diesel in, after sitting, coffee comes out. refill and let sit another 24 hours, nearly clean.

I did this on a friends car, it had 80k miles, and the diesel didnt come out clean the first time, and his car was always serviced correctly by a dealership since the day it rolled off the dealer lot. its much safer then seafoam, which is a bit too strong.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:02 PM

You have a D series. You probably spend more time and effort cleaning it and spend more money on oil than the engine is worth.

Benefit vs. Cost/effort, my friend.

I'm NOT that **** about my engines. My GSR had 158k miles on it and still ran like showroom fresh. It even did 130mph and got 30mpg on the same tank once. My Si has 133k miles on it and runs great. No oil burn.

Again. Cost/effort vs. Benefit.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:04 PM
New User

i think synthetic is better. IMO
Old 07-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
You have a D series. You probably spend more time and effort cleaning it and spend more money on oil than the engine is worth.

Benefit vs. Cost/effort, my friend.

I'm NOT that **** about my engines. My GSR had 158k miles on it and still ran like showroom fresh. It even did 130mph and got 30mpg on the same tank once. My Si has 133k miles on it and runs great. No oil burn.

Again. Cost/effort vs. Benefit.
why does the engine matter? if I owned a 3 cylinder geo, id treat it the same way. a car's a car. treat it well, maintain it, keep it clean, keep the carbon **** out, and the motor is guarenteed for a very long time. plus Im rather fond of the single slammers lol, easy to work on. ever done valve seals and guides on a B series? yeah, go for the D's lol
Old 07-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted_eg2
i think synthetic is better. IMO
synthetic simply takes longer to break down. regular is more "sticky" hence why its strongly recommended to avoid synthetic for a while after a rebuild or on a new motor. regular oil can hold more debri in suspension then synthetic
Old 07-04-2009, 01:20 AM

why does the engine matter? if I owned a 3 cylinder geo, id treat it the same way. a car's a car. treat it well, maintain it, keep it clean, keep the carbon **** out, and the motor is guarenteed for a very long time. plus Im rather fond of the single slammers lol, easy to work on. ever done valve seals and guides on a B series? yeah, go for the D's lol
meh. My cars last a long time with just regular maintenance was my point. I also track my cars. They refuse to break even if I treat them badly. I bought the car for my benefit...not for the car's benefit.

The type of engine matters because sometimes for the extra cost of synthetic oil over the life span of the engine, you could have just paid yourself for a fresh engine and used regular *** oil.

synthetic simply takes longer to break down. regular is more "sticky" hence why its strongly recommended to avoid synthetic for a while after a rebuild or on a new motor. regular oil can hold more debri in suspension then synthetic

I was always told that synthetic holds materials in suspension better than regular. That's one of the benefits of synthetic.

I used it in my SR20DET because it ran very hot and it was very abused (by me) and a couple of my B series cars (there's that abuse again). I use it now in my F20C since I track (abuse) the car very often.

I'm talking abuse as in recreational use...not just retarded abuse like throwing pennies and rocks and a bottle of coke and a half quart of oil in an intake manifold...which I have also done...err...not to my car...err...or an engine that was going to be in a car for more than a day longer.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

engines do get used to stuff like that. different oil has different thickness, and running with a mix (drain only gets like 40% of the oil) isnt that great of an idea. thats why I say 500 miles, plenty of time for the new oil to mix and clean a bit, next oil change, should be closer to full synthetic in the motor.

THESE ARE MY RULES, so dont think its by the book. its a method I have used, because I am extremely **** about my motor and do the best for it to keep it clean and running.

the diesel is an awesome cleaner. you fill it via the oil cap hole, top it off to the oil cap hole. let it sit for at least 24 hours. clear diesel in, after sitting, coffee comes out. refill and let sit another 24 hours, nearly clean.

I did this on a friends car, it had 80k miles, and the diesel didnt come out clean the first time, and his car was always serviced correctly by a dealership since the day it rolled off the dealer lot. its much safer then seafoam, which is a bit too strong.
Your theory makes no sense. Your oil is a lot thicker in the winter so by your logic your car wouldn't be "use to" the oil in the summer or winter (depending on the season it "learned" to use oil)