Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Swaybars?? which one to get??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swaybars?? which one to get??

my 95 hb does not have OEM sway bar at all. and i want to order a kit with front and rears. there is a S/T sway at summit racing, pn STQ-52161 it says front 3/4 in and rear 3/4 inch for 235.95. over at option auto.com, same part number ST-52161 but it says 1 inch for front and 3/4 inch in back. why are they different, and at optauto it is 293.00.

But i plan to put on integra front brakes on my car, possiblity would get whole front suspension out of a integra. so should i still get the S/T sway kit for civic without oem front bar? or get a certain one?
Old 04-13-2004, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id just upgrade to a ITR front and rear with a beaks kit should be good. im afraid to go up and bigger to many horror stories of torn subframes
Old 04-13-2004, 02:02 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Swaybars?? which one to get?? (VTECR021)

Just get the rear one. You don't need a front swaybar.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Swaybars?? which one to get?? (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just get the rear one. You don't need a front swaybar.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats open for debate

but generaly a stiff rear with a soft or non existant front helps eliminiate understeer but at times induces oversteer in FWD's
Old 04-13-2004, 02:06 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Swaybars?? which one to get?? (7thGear)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 7thGear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats open for debate

but generaly a stiff rear with a soft or non existant front helps eliminiate understeer but at times induces oversteer in FWD's</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly...what's the problem? Oversteer is easy to control in a Honda because the drive wheels generally aren't the ones sliding (rear, obviously). Understeer is a bitch regardless of the drivetrain orientation and, in my opinion, is the much more dangerous of the imbalance possibiities.

But yes, it is open for debate. Not in this thread, though, so let's keep it clean .
Old 04-13-2004, 02:10 PM

huh so im better off with only rears? if i get rear sway bars only and no sway bar in front, the car is gonna still have horrible body roll as it does have right now..
Old 04-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VTECR021)

I would definitely get both front and rear bars. Personally i dont like how the car feels with only a rear sway bar, turn in really sucks without the front.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:37 PM

i went ahead and got front and rear bars with 2nd day air(yes im impatient!) shipping for 264 bucks :D
Old 04-13-2004, 02:41 PM

it wont eliminate body roll, it i will help with it..

also it has more of an effect on the cars handling charactertics when pushed to the limit......

if you really want to eliminate body roll, get 400 lb springs and proper sturts...
Old 04-13-2004, 02:57 PM

yeah im in process of buying spring/shock combo and as well as Energy Suspension master bushing kit.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:59 PM

with all those bushings and the swaybar and the suspension dont be suprised if your gonna feel like your driving on wheels with no rubber..

especialy if you lower it to something like 2.0 inches or something

look at it as a free visit to the dentist tho
Old 04-13-2004, 03:19 PM

i had full suspension upgrade on my prelude and it was great, that includes, camber, kybagx shocks, coilover, bushings, stock sways and it was fine. i dont mind having rough ride, i just want to be able to take corners without worrying about losing control, i just like to feel totally in control of my car.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:51 PM

you would be suprsied how well stock cars actualy handle....

its just that the body roll SCARES you into taking them slower, the ultimate cornering capability of the car is actualy quite high...

here is a DC5 type R http://www.modernracer.com/hondaintegratyper.html , holds 0.88 on the skidpad stock... not bad

same thing for a CTR http://www.modernracer.com/hondacivictyper.html

and slightly less for a civic si at 0.82 http://www.modernracer.com/hondacivicsi2002.html

and thats on STOCK suspension... so yeah, not to bash or anything, but if you feel like your losing control in stock cars you havent perfected your technique yet or you lack confidence in your car.

body roll was put into mass produced cars so that people like us dont go out and get into accidents.

Old 04-13-2004, 04:26 PM

Default Re: (7thGear)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 7thGear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and thats on STOCK suspension... so yeah, not to bash or anything, but if you feel like your losing control in stock cars you havent perfected your technique yet or you lack confidence in your car.

body roll was put into mass produced cars so that people like us dont go out and get into accidents.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have been driving since 1992, race/drive snowmobiles since i was 3, and i know that this car, the 95 Civic hb i have, cannot take the freeway loop at 60mph. My prelude could do 60 easy.

You got it wrong, this car handles like ****, cant take the skid pad very well, and salomon course too.

also when i was living in arizona with my prelude, the sway bar endlinks came off one day when i was doing like 90 down the mountain road, and that was no fun. swaybars help the car take turns/corners better and keep all 4 tires on the ground.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i love my S.T. sway bars, ordered front and rear bars from summit for $235 and am very very pleased with the results.

i got the 1" front and 3/4" rear
Old 04-21-2004, 04:18 PM

Have you installed the sways yet? I have a 95 hatch DX also. I just found out my car has no sways either. I thought it had one up front. But nothing. I have the same problem as you, the body roll is bad. I've never installed sway bars on a car which didn't come with them from the factory. Will I have to drill holes for them to fit? I'm very interested in you results. I plan on lowering my car. It looks like a 4WD right now. If you have any pics or more info. Please post or email me Mshorty6686@aol.com thanks
Old 04-21-2004, 06:50 PM

Default Re: (Spins)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spins &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you installed the sways yet? I have a 95 hatch DX also. I just found out my car has no sways either. I thought it had one up front. But nothing. I have the same problem as you, the body roll is bad. I've never installed sway bars on a car which didn't come with them from the factory. Will I have to drill holes for them to fit? I'm very interested in you results. I plan on lowering my car. It looks like a 4WD right now. If you have any pics or more info. Please post or email me Mshorty6686@aol.com thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have finished the fronts, the front ones mount right under the car, i was suprised of its location. not really recommend for really low civic cause it could hit something and possibly get torn off, im talking about like 3 inch lowered civic.

im still working on the rears. its been almost a week. Why? the 2 bolts that hold the lower fork of the rear shocks rust froze in the bushings. so i had to cut them off, and ordered energy suspension master bushing kit instead of separate ones or oem bushings. then get the oem bushing the old ones pressed out. Finally the new bushings and also 2 rear KYB AGX shocks came in today, so im in middle of installing the rear suspension back in. just taking a break right now. If your civic has been in the winter driving conditions, be preparped for rusted bolts that can break easy, or refuse to come out. The front installation of swaybar was quite easy.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:11 AM

Are the sways a universal kit or made for the civic?
Did you have to drill any mounting holes?
If you can take some pic's that would be great.
Sorry about all the questions.
I'm very interested in your results and opinions of the sway kit.

I plan on lowering my car at least 2inches in the front and 1.5 in the rear. When I get different tires I'll lower it alittle more. I'm running 15 si wheels with 185/65/15's tires. So I have a lot of sidewall flex right now.

Sorry to hear about the rust problem. Hope everything works out.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spins &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are the sways a universal kit or made for the civic?
Did you have to drill any mounting holes?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Suspension Techniques has a kit for cars that didn't come with stock sway bars.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Re: (92b16vx)

I've been doing a little research. JC Whitney sells the same swaybars for $239 Plus $15 shipping. I have a coupon or code which should knock off 15%, so I should be able to get them for around $219 shipped.
I called S.T. and asked about the bigger front bar. The rep. said the 1 inch bar is for the EX model which came with a oem front swaybar. He also stated there is no modification needed to install the sways.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spins &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been doing a little research. JC Whitney sells the same swaybars for $239 Plus $15 shipping. I have a coupon or code which should knock off 15%, so I should be able to get them for around $219 shipped.
I called S.T. and asked about the bigger front bar. The rep. said the 1 inch bar is for the EX model which came with a oem front swaybar. He also stated there is no modification needed to install the sways.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bought mine from Summit racing for like 235, and yeah i had to drill 2 holes on the rear for the mounting holes.

I will have some pics up when im all done.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:03 PM

I was checking out the pics of you civic and I noticed it didn't have a drivers or passenger side airbag or passenger side ext. mirror. I was just wondering why? Maybe they where an option. My car as them.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:21 PM

it is canadian model DX, its like CX for US i think. which does not come with mirror on passenger side, air bags, and other stuff. I guess canada does not really require those stuff.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:17 PM

Are you planning on lowering your car? I was wondering about the front swaybar. You said something about it hanging low. I've been trying to decide what kind of suspension products to buy.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:29 PM

I plan to lower it like 1.5 inches, maybe 2 in front, depending on clearance issue, and how much gap left between 205/50/15 tires and fender.

thats what it looks like, thats the front. I havent gotten chance to work on the rear today. gonna work on it tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Swaybars?? which one to get??