Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

swaybar dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swaybar dilemma

currently driving an ej2 (dx 95 coupe) wanting to add sway bars and im faced with a dilemma-- i have no bars to begin with so i have no mounting points. most people go with the itr bars, but i would have to buy a bunch of extra parts. the way i see it theres 2 options

1. buy the eibach kit for 450ish max and it will "ghetto" bolt on to the shocks with brackets and whatnot. 17mm rear and 26 front. (understeer, right??)

2. spend just over a grand buying an asr brace, itr 23mm rear bar, plus function 7 lcas, rear endlinks, new si front lower control arms, stock front endlinks,a 25mm itr front bar, not to mention all the ES bushings ill replace while its all out.

i feel like honda spent some time engineering the itr suspension to perfomr well for spirited street driving and so the itr options are best, as long as i keep the set matched (98+ spec)

my car is certainly no ITR but it seems to be the most commonly employed upgrade for sways.

but is it worth twice the price to buy ITR sways over Eibach?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: swaybar dilemma (bacardiboi)

my saying is do it right the first time or dont do it at all. nothing is worse then spending 400 and not likng the setup at all then spending the 1k anyways. just my .02
Old 11-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: swaybar dilemma (93egSLEEPER)

thats what i was thinking but i have some nay-sayer friends. but 1k. damn. his ****** sunfire gets 1" addco bars for 500 bucks. i spend a g for 23mm. (i realise thats not much smaller)
Old 11-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ITR bars are the ****... the eibachs arent bad either. if your really feelin good find the 32mm hollor bar. wooo buddy thats some stiffness.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:08 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: swaybar dilemma (93egSLEEPER)

doesnt matter what you go, you have a front sway bar, for the rear sway bar what i did was rip he *** end of an integra off then bolt it to my civic LOL

litterally i went to a junk yard told him i wanted the rear end and i walked away with it for 150 and the prop valve

it had the sway bar, the LCA's that accepted the sway bars and REAR DISCS

its worth it if you go that route

the ITR wasnt "engineered" damn peopleonly think engineering is for performance cars like "german engineering" ******* stupid phrase

even kia motors has engineers

ya btw a larger sway bay, some strut bars, a mild port and polished b16a head bolted to a gsr block restamped with a 5 instead of a 1, red valve cover, some purty wheels, red stiched shift boot, 1/8" thicker rear subframe and a few more stiche welds dont count as engineering
Old 11-08-2007, 07:35 AM

This is a question I was asking my self not that long ago. I have a EK Hatch w/o factory sway bars, and wanted to add some!

What I ended up doing was going with a aftermarket sway bar set I found for $150 shipped. I am pleased with the results thus far. The front sway bar is on but the rear is not yet. Some honda-tech guys gave have given me the advice and info I for getting the rear bar on and I plan to after my next business trip.

I under stand your 'getto' comment I had to shave a 1/4" off the 100% new after market end links (made for me car lol), but for what I spent it doesn't bug me too much
Old 11-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: swaybar dilemma (Hairy Hudson)

I had a '93 Civic EX as my parts car...so I just ripped off where the swaybar mounts to (can't think of the specific name right now for some reason) and swapped it over to my '94 DX hatchback. I'd hit up a junkyard and see if you could find one used...worse comes to worse, you'll have to replace endlinks.

For the rear I'll probably end up getting some aftermarket LCA's, the ITR swaybar, and the ASR brace...but that's later on
Old 11-08-2007, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont understand how it would be that much.

you can get the missing control arms for the sway bar mount parts front and rear for under 100 from most junkyards.
itr sway bars are less than 100 each as well
Old 11-08-2007, 08:47 AM

Look at it this way what do u want do do with ur car?? ie: track, drag, street or a combo of street/track or drag. start there. Go to springrates.com the have a sweet 21mm kit for 150
Old 11-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bacardiboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

2. spend just over a grand buying an asr brace, itr 23mm rear bar, plus function 7 lcas, rear endlinks, new si front lower control arms, stock front endlinks,a 25mm itr front bar, not to mention all the ES bushings ill replace while its all out.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i really don't know where you are looking for pricing, but just to do a sway bar front and rear doesn't cost over a grand.

for starters, why do you have to go with function7 LCA's? regular rear LCA's off of any gsr or ls would work fine. they run about $50 at any junk yard, hell if you want to pay for shipping you can have mine!

why do you need new si front LCA's? again, parts you can find at any junkyard. if a si is not around you can easily pull a set off any ex. they are the exact same.

as for endlinks, why would you have to purchase them for? they already come with the sway bar kit.

and if you are patient and shop wisely you can get a new complete ES bushing kit for under $100 (ebay). if not, they go for about $150 new.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bacardiboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i feel like honda spent some time engineering the itr suspension to perfomr well for spirited street driving and so the itr options are best, as long as i keep the set matched (98+ spec)

my car is certainly no ITR but it seems to be the most commonly employed upgrade for sways.

but is it worth twice the price to buy ITR sways over Eibach? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, though Honda did spend alot of time engineering and improving the itr, there are alot of well known companies that exceed Hondas oem parts.

Koni, Eibach, Neuspeed are just to name a few. it's cool that you wuld want ITR (oem) parts, but if you are doing this for performance reasons, oem is not always the best.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just got the beaks kit with the itr bar and picked up some integra lcas. total setup cost less than $250
Old 11-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: swaybar dilemma (suicide_shift)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suicide_shift &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> you have a front sway bar </TD></TR></TABLE>

no i dont.

and i conceed, the reason i say a g is because im calculating brand new front lower control arms into the cost.

asr-179.99 jhpusa.com
23mm rear sway- 109.97 icbmotorsport
function 7 rlca- 210.00 project zum

25mm front sway- 99.97 icbmotorsport
new front lcas (si)- 400.00 hondapartsdeals.com
stock endlinks, es bushings, d brackets, etc- 57.00

the few salvage yards around here that i went to when lookng for a rear disc conversion from a gsr wanted between 400 and 600 for the set of arms, no prop valve. i walked away and vowed never to go back. so im limited to finding a few more yards some distance away or ebay or brand new parts.

and yes i know i could just get the integra rear lcas but i want function 7 cuz they're pretty. no sense buying something else if im just gonna replace em nehow.

so yes i have shopped around and i know what id want if i went ITR route and its gonna be about a grand at max i realize it might be lower-- considerably

so i appreciate all the corrections and suggestions, but my question boils down to this--

is it worth the extra cost to get the itr setup, or will the eibach perform better??

Old 11-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try looking into the suspension techniques kit. Pretty inexpensive. I have it on my car and i love it. Mine is a dx which came with no sway bars.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:54 PM
memoryFAB.com representative

Default Re: (Malakai)

my hatch didnt have any bars either, i started with a SRR sway/tie bar combo, its 19mm so you wont need a reinforcement kit! MFactory makes a similar bar, same size! i would suggest that and a set of EX or Si rear LCA's and your set. its not to aggresive that youll need a front bar.. i HPDE / autox'd this set up for 2 years!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spock_rocker)

mmmkay im just gonna go with the ST bar set. at 289.00 if i cant stand it i wont have lost much but time...
Old 11-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bacardiboi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bacardiboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mmmkay im just gonna go with the ST bar set. at 289.00 if i cant stand it i wont have lost much but time...</TD></TR></TABLE>

the ST swaybars are great, and for the price you can't really go wrong. i would stick with the front swaybar, being that the rear usually would need some type of support.

as for the LCA's, the yards you went to were asking for $400- $500? that's quite outragous. there had to be some type miscommunication between them and you.
but if so, i wouldn't retuen to them aswell. i decided to do some searching on ebay for you.

these are stock LCA's for the front:
http://search.ebay.com/search/...o%3D1

even ordering both sides with shipping, they are still cheaper than brand new ones from the dealer. i'm pretty sure if you decide to go this route, you can probably talk them down, or fined a way to save some money on shipping.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: swaybar dilemma (JKov240)

Sorry to thread jack guys but I gotta question. I gotta 94 Civic DX Coupe and obviously it does not come with sway-bars. In the front, I know you can swap to EX Civic or Integra DC Lower Control arms to allow for mounting points but I was curious, on the cross member..what does the sway bar bolt on to? Anyone got any pics? I'm just curious cause at a glance it looks like there aren't any threads to allow those clamps and bushings for the stock sway. Someone please fill me in? Much appreciated Thx!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: swaybar dilemma (EuroR_TSX) UPDATE

Update fellas, I found this on importnut.net http://importnut.net/swaybar.htm. It has nice instructions on how to upgrade your sways (on existing sway equipped models). I realized while looking through the pictures that I think I Know know where those U brackets would bolt to. Looks like right on the end where the back of the lower control arm bolts on to . I think all I would be missing would be a U bracket with bushings. Can anyone confirm if I'm right? Thx!

Old 11-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it worth the extra cost to get the itr setup, or will the eibach perform better??

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have 26mm front / 23mm rear, all OEM and I love it
Old 11-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: swaybar dilemma (EuroR_TSX) UPDATE (EuroR_TSX)

Solved my question. Looked under my car and took a look haha. Yeh the mounting points are there.

New question...What sway-bar size is perfect for Road Racing? I know there are different sizes and options and even Mugen for example has three different sets of front and rear sway bars that are all different sizes. I would like to hear feedback from you guys that Road Race and what you guys run and suggest. Thanks!

Old 11-16-2007, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: swaybar dilemma (EuroR_TSX)

that depends on how much understeer you want only YOU know what is perfect for yourself...
some people road race with no front swaybar at all.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Re: swaybar dilemma (thisisntjared)

it all depends on the driver, the other suspension, the alignment, the tires.. there are alot of different factors

Modified by spock_rocker at 7:22 PM 11/16/2007
Old 11-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: swaybar dilemma (spock_rocker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spock_rocker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it all depends on the driver, the other suspension, the alignment, the tires.. there are alot of different factors</TD></TR></TABLE>EXACTLY. The bias of spring stiffness alone will effect how it oversteers/understeers and can counter any bias made by the anti-sway bars.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: swaybar dilemma (spock_rocker)

Yeah i know what u mean. It almost sounds like the sway bars should be the last thing to get, once i factor in all the other stuff i get. I want a perfect balance which I know will also come from the alighnment and thats why I plan to take the car to WestEnd Alightnment in Gardena. Well we'll see, I gotta do more research on this I guess. I wish i can feel someone else's car to get an idea.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: swaybar dilemma (EuroR_TSX)

no get your alignment last, thats what i did.. but again you have to figure out what your going to use the car for and key is making it not to extreme for the street so having a "common balance" is key and i think ive finally found that in my car.. gardena... oh and PM if you need anymore help!

Quick Reply: swaybar dilemma