Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sway bar in rear only?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar in rear only?

what happen if i only put a 21mm sway bar in the rear and no sway in the front?
Old 08-14-2008, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Sway bar in rear only? (immajackuup)

dont quote me on this, i think i got my terms right. but i think you would have tons of understear.

since the back would be stiffened up, and the front still loose, when you try to corner hard, the back will stay tight and the front will shift to one side and your wheels would slide and wouldnt be able to make your corner.

i think a front sway bar would work alot better then on the rear. thats why most cars come equipped with a front sway, and no rear instead of vice versa
Old 08-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

^^^ other way.

rear sway only = tons of oversteer. The back end will want to come around on you often. And it will quickly.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:30 PM

Default Re: (Relic1)

thanks for correcting me, i was trying to picture it in my head and i was thinking it would try pushing the front, but that makes more sense now.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Frickr)

Most production cars come with a stiffer anti-roll bar in the front than in the rear because it makes the car more stable/predicable. Since the average consumer can't drive, selling a car prone to oversteering would not be a good idea.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove my old hatch for a while with only a rear sway. It was pretty fun with the oversteer.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ic

damn i guess i have to wait till i get the front swaybar.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (immajackuup)

my del sol si came with a front 21mm, and i threw a jdm type-r '98 spec 23mm sway on there and it handles like a dream. slight understeer, but i think its due mainly to my shitty tires in the front and my decent tires in the back.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 22mm ITR sway bar in the back of my ej6 sedan and none in front. it oversteers really nicely when on the throttle.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

front wheel drive cars naturally produce understeer. this is why hondas will seem to handle much better with the addition of a larger rear sway bar.. it reduces some of that understeer effect
Old 08-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (na+b18c_hatch)

so u saying i should roll on my 21mm rear sway for right now and just save up for the front??
Old 08-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by na+b18c_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">front wheel drive cars naturally produce understeer. this is why hondas will seem to handle much better with the addition of a larger rear sway bar.. it reduces some of that understeer effect</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was my conclusion as well.

A, nice, thick (god that sounds wrong), swaybar in the rear when ur putting a lot of HP to the ground helps balance the car out around sharp turns.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That was my conclusion as well.

A, nice, thick (god that sounds wrong), swaybar in the rear when ur putting a lot of HP to the ground helps balance the car out around sharp turns.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree. i like to modify my suspension first (coilovers or shocks/springs, control arms, larger rear sway bar (w/ subframe reinforcement), etc... before i do engine modifications. but thats just me
Old 08-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

lol that sounded so gay,yeah i guess i install my rear 21mm rear sway bar with my asr reinforcement.

For now and get the front later.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A, nice, thick bar in the rear</TD></TR></TABLE>
BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by na+b18c_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i agree. i like to modify my suspension first (coilovers or shocks/springs, control arms, larger rear sway bar (w/ subframe reinforcement), etc... before i do engine modifications. but thats just me </TD></TR></TABLE>
hind sight.... please, don't follow my progress.
upgrade suspension with cheap-ish parts (this is fun, but I need more power)
upgrade engine [literally 2x power] (more power is fun, idiot that I am pulls a street race)
frantically upgrade brakes (faster car + red light at busy intersection + spongy pedal = rapid change of attitude)
upgrade suspension cause faster car means very different setup (holy leaning car)
frantically upgrade brakes again cause even faster car makes first upgrade laughable on the track. (spongy pedal sucks, especially when quite a bit of swampy area is involved in stopping the car)
slowly tweak suspension to work better for me on the track (weeeee)
remember all the times I almost died in a post on H-T *smacks forehead*
Old 08-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Relic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
hind sight.... please, don't follow my progress.
upgrade suspension with cheap-ish parts (this is fun, but I need more power)
upgrade engine [literally 2x power] (more power is fun, idiot that I am pulls a street race)
frantically upgrade brakes (faster car + red light at busy intersection + spongy pedal = rapid change of attitude)
upgrade suspension cause faster car means very different setup (holy leaning car)
frantically upgrade brakes again cause even faster car makes first upgrade laughable on the track. (spongy pedal sucks, especially when quite a bit of swampy area is involved in stopping the car)
slowly tweak suspension to work better for me on the track (weeeee)
remember all the times I almost died in a post on H-T *smacks forehead*</TD></TR></TABLE>

so are you saying you agree with me that its better (opinion) to build a solid suspension first?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by na+b18c_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so are you saying you agree with me that its better (opinion) to build a solid suspension first?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

not really, hes saying build a half-asses suspension first and slowly upgrade everything.

i figure just do it at once, so you're not spending you're money twice (unneccessarily).

my 2c
Old 08-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by na+b18c_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so are you saying you agree with me that its better (opinion) to build a solid suspension first?</TD></TR></TABLE>
hmmm, maybe that didn't come out right.
please don't follow in my footsteps.

this will be my way of building cars in the future.
solid well handling suspension
brakes just short of an anchor
then worry about power
Old 08-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (obuhmyuh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by obuhmyuh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not really, hes saying build a half-asses suspension first and slowly upgrade everything.

i figure just do it at once, so you're not spending you're money twice (unneccessarily).

my 2c</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think he was saying what he had done originally, and trying to make a point of what NOT to do. i'm with you on getting the suspension done right the first time and then not having to worry about it when the power comes

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
hmmm, maybe that didn't come out right.
please don't follow in my footsteps.

this will be my way of building cars in the future.
solid well handling suspension
brakes just short of an anchor
then worry about power</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah man thats what i thought you meant. seems to be a very good plan.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

x3
Old 08-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (obuhmyuh)

i can't wait for my function form coilovers! i'm going to hit those up with some omni front upper control arms for camber adjustment, followed up by megan rear lca's and a type r rear sway w/ beaks kit or asr subframe brace. that should make for a pretty solid suspention setup
Old 08-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no front sway??