Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Suspension Question For The Honda World:

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Suspension Question For The Honda World:

I bought a 96 EK Coupe w/a LS/VTECH, 17" Chrome Rims (Am Not Keeping), It has full coil overs(Unknown Maker) all around but the struts are all blown I bought 2" in drop DNA springs for $50. My boy is letting buy his semi used KYB's for $70. With my suspension, I've been hearing; Go with Koni/Gound Control (Full Adjustable, Liftime warrenty, Works best with each other), KSport Pro (For Racing Aspect, Adjustable, Full Racing Suspension Package) or Function & Form (DD and Racing Aspect, Adjustable, 1-Year Warrenty). Well, with research and questions, I've been lead to believe for me wanting a DD with racing aspect I should go with Function & Form. I do like Koni/GC, due to more adjusting variables then the other brands, plus even if its limited, its lifetime. I am going to use these KYB struts and my 2" drop springs. I have a chance to get 4 lug ITR rear disc for less then $100 (Which everyone knows what that means; Just looks wise upgrade but performance remains the same) also I am wanting to put OEM 00 Si Rims on to complete the suspension and wheels/Tires.

Now, My question for you out in the community: If I am going for the DD/Sleeper aspect, Should I look into "Function & Form (For: DD Aspect) or Koni/Ground Control (For: Racing Control Aspect)"?

Let me know what you would suggest and why?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:36 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Suspension Question For The Honda World:

Originally Posted by MrJsLaughter
I am going to use these KYB struts and my 2" drop springs.
Mis-taaaaaake.

Just get the F&Fs.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this real life?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep the blown struts

Blown leaky struts = sleeper
Old 03-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Mis-taaaaaake.

Just get the F&Fs.
Well, I am only using the kyb's for about a month n a half then getting the package. Wondering, what is best for the aspect I am looking towards?
Old 03-22-2013, 06:00 PM
The Grumpiest

What is this "aspect" **** you keep mentioning? Discontinue using that word because you're not using it right.
Running blown shocks is a mistake. Period. Get the function and forms because for what you plan on doing with them it would be a crime to run a Koni/Ground Control combo on them as they'd be wasted. Plus I'm tired of telling people that F&Fs are mediocre coilovers because they just get them anyway.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I see, The KYB are not the blown struts, the blown ones are on my car till I pick the KYBs up. I'm new to the getting your own spring rate, could I ask you what all should I be looking to do or know?
Old 03-22-2013, 06:14 PM
The Grumpiest

Running stock replacement shocks like the KYBs on a 2" drop will blow them in no time so if you don't wind up getting the coilover setup then you'll have that hanging over your head.

If you don't plan on doing anything with the car other than it being a daily driver just get the Function & Forms. People that have them say they aren't all that great but they get the job done. People that do not know any better, can't reason putting expensive coilovers on a $500 car, and/or have shallow pockets SWEAR by these.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Master Ninja

Originally Posted by MrJsLaughter
I bought a 96 EK Coupe w/a LS/VTECH, 17" Chrome Rims (Am Not Keeping), It has full coil overs(Unknown Maker) all around but the struts are all blown I bought 2" in drop DNA springs for $50. My boy is letting buy his semi used KYB's for $70. With my suspension, I've been hearing; Go with Koni/Gound Control (Full Adjustable, Liftime warrenty, Works best with each other), KSport Pro (For Racing Aspect, Adjustable, Full Racing Suspension Package) or Function & Form (DD and Racing Aspect, Adjustable, 1-Year Warrenty). Well, with research and questions, I've been lead to believe for me wanting a DD with racing aspect I should go with Function & Form. I do like Koni/GC, due to more adjusting variables then the other brands, plus even if its limited, its lifetime. I am going to use these KYB struts and my 2" drop springs. I have a chance to get 4 lug ITR rear disc for less then $100 (Which everyone knows what that means; Just looks wise upgrade but performance remains the same) also I am wanting to put OEM 00 Si Rims on to complete the suspension and wheels/Tires.

Now, My question for you out in the community: If I am going for the DD/Sleeper aspect, Should I look into "Function & Form (For: DD Aspect) or Koni/Ground Control (For: Racing Control Aspect)"?

Let me know what you would suggest and why?