Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

suspension experts HELP: 98 hatch SPC upper arm problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension experts HELP: 98 hatch SPC upper arm problem

hey guys.
so i have a 98 hatchback, im in my last phases of finishing up my suspension. i am currently on eibach sportlines (-1.8" drop) on tokico illumina adjustable shocks.
i am running a Si 26mm sway bar in the front and a CTR 22mm sway bar in the rear on an ASR brace with function7 arms. also random tie bars up top, that dont really do squat. in the rear i have SPC upper arms and SRR toe arms, so i wanted to complete the adjustable arm setup by putting SPC upper arms in the front so that i can mount a new set of tires and get a new alignment with everything fully adjustable. the reason i chose the SPC arms are because they are the only manufacturer that make that arm with caster adjustment.
so heres the problem...
after i installed theSPC front upper arms, i mounted my tires and got an alignment.
after that i noticed that when i hit bumps in the road, my car takes it a lot more harshly than it used to. it is only noticible like after 20-30mph...if i hit a small lump that the suspension would normally absorb...my car feels like i just cracked my front rims. the impact is very loud and unpleasant. and i am not exaggerating. it seriously feels like i hit a huge gaping pothole and broke a rim.
what could this be? my only ideas are bad ball joints? but i had recently replaced them. or maybe its a caster problem with how the shock body is positioned after the alignment. the caster is set to about 1.5 positive on both sides.
i thought it might have been my sway bar, but the endlinks were fine, and i even disconnected them and drove without them and its still the same.
so as far as i am concearned, this has something to do with the SPC camber/caster arms, because it started happening directly after i installed them.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx
Old 11-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Those control arms have urethane upper mounts. That is going to decrease deflection in the suspension sending the impact through the body. Also, how did you tighten the through bolts on the upper arms? If you tighten those bolts with the wheels off the ground, they will cause the bushing to bind when the car is on the ground.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ej6onlsd)

the bushings are actually hardened rubber, not urethane. and i installed them proporly without binding. i hand tightened, then lowered the car, bounced it up and down and then torqued them.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for some help