Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Suggestions for OBD2 --> OBD1 harness conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for OBD2 --> OBD1 harness conversion?

Putting a 96 B18C1 (OBD II) into a 95 Civic coupe (OBD I).

Anyone know where I can order the conversion harness?
Old 02-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suggestions for OBD2 --> OBD1 harness conversion? (EGJason)

Boomslang?
http://www.boomslang.us/obd2to1.htm
Old 02-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suggestions for OBD2 --> OBD1 harness conversion? (SiYouLater)

http://www.phearable.net/shopp....html

Old 02-19-2008, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Suggestions for OBD2 --> OBD1 harness conversion? (kaluwa3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaluwa3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.phearable.net/shopp....html

</TD></TR></TABLE>

he is right. phearable.net FTW
Old 02-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suggestions for OBD2 --> OBD1 harness conversion? (crazyguy)

I need the OBD1 --&gt; OBD2 or OBD2 --&gt; OBD1?

It doesn't say which end is which on the site, lol, I have an OBD1 P08 ECU, a GSR (OBD2) engine is getting installed.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're using an OBD1 ecu, then you don't need a conversion harness, since your car is already wired for OBD1. If you were using an OBD2 ecu on the other hand, you'd need an OBD1 to OBD2 conversion harness ("OBD of plugs" to "OBD of ecu").

If you're trying to figure out how to wire the engine up, check out this link (6th post down):
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=550976
Old 02-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suggestions for OBD2 --> OBD1 harness conversion? (SiYouLater)

Never had a problem with them, not one thing was pinned incorrectly.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicSpoon)

Let me explain this again, you guys arent reading the question, lol:

96 GSR OBD2 Engine
95 Civic DX OBD1 chassis/ECU

Which harness do I need?

OBD2 --&gt; OBD1

or

OBD1 --&gt; OBD2
Old 02-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGJason)

you'll need a obd1 to obd2 conversion harness -- after all you've started with obd1, right?
Old 02-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSpoon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">("OBD of plugs" to "OBD of ecu").
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I was asking for.

So I need the OBD2 --&gt; OBD1 harness?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGJason &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's what I was asking for.

So I need the OBD2 --&gt; OBD1 harness?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Those OBD1 to OBD2 or OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harnesses are only to use a different ECU, they have nothing to do with wiring for the engine. If you want to get your engine harness rewired to work with your OBD2 engine, you'll need to find a place that does it. Hasport would probably do it, might want to give them a call. But you need to be specific about which parts you're going to use, because there is no standard "OBD2 to OBD1" conversion. You could be using an OBD1 or OBD2 distributor, OBD1 or OBD2 injectors, or an OBD1 or OBD2 engine harness to start out with. Those are important factors the person doing the harness is going to need to know.

The point I was trying to make before, from the link I gave, is that it's not very hard to do the wiring yourself. It would save you money from not having to pay someone else to do it as well as save you the price of shipping. There are only a few things you have to worry about. Seriously, it's really easy, at least read it over and consider doing it yourself. You just have to worry about the distributor, injectors, alternator, and adding wires for vtec & IAB.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSpoon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you're using an OBD1 ecu, then you don't need a conversion harness, since your car is already wired for OBD1. If you were using an OBD2 ecu on the other hand, you'd need an OBD1 to OBD2 conversion harness ("OBD of plugs" to "OBD of ecu").

If you're trying to figure out how to wire the engine up, check out this link (6th post down):
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=550976</TD></TR></TABLE>

eh, i dont know which i get conversion harness for my 92 civic cx h22 motor and h22 ecu..... but i have OBD1 ecu.. which I use conversion harness for h22??
Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OBD2A-OBD1 Conversion harness

http://www.jdmshit.com
Old 02-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suggestions for OBD2 --> OBD1 harness conversion? (EGJason)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGJason &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Putting a 96 B18C1 (OBD II) into a 95 Civic coupe (OBD I).

Anyone know where I can order the conversion harness?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, you don't need any. buy a used gsr engine harness (obdII) since the civics are one piece. plug it up to the motor and connect plugs to your shock towers.

the only thing you will have to do is jump the ground wire from your dist. to the wire on the driverside shock tower in order for your tach to work.
put in your chipped ecu or obd1 gsr and you ready to rock

obdI & II are similar obd II has more sensors that obdI ecu will not look for
they have different plugs on the fuel injectors,alt &dist and the crank position sensor is moved from inside the dist.(obdI) to behind the crank pulley.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dickies_n_FlipFlops)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dickies_n_FlipFlops &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OBD2A-OBD1 Conversion harness

http://www.jdmshit.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

eh?? which i use OBD1 conversion harness for h22??
Old 02-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicH22TypeS)

is says the year on there. get the harness for year of your car to whatever ecu your using.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicH22TypeS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicH22TypeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

eh, i dont know which i get conversion harness for my 92 civic cx h22 motor and h22 ecu..... but i have OBD1 ecu.. which I use conversion harness for h22?? </TD></TR></TABLE>
You need to send out your engine harness, or add the wires yourself. Just like I already explained to the person who started this topic. It has nothing to do with your ECU, which is what those conversion harnesses are for. It's going to cost you around $300 (plus shipping) to get your engine harness converted. Like with the original poster's harness, there aren't many wires to add, and you could easily do it yourself and save $300. There's only like 11 wires that you simply need to add (some of those are wires for vtec), as well as a couple more if you have a stock 1-wire O2 sensor.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:15 AM

He will need to wire the knock too, I think.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Found a writeup on it, thanks CivicSpoon
Old 02-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suggestions for OBD2 --> OBD1 harness conversion? (VtecnTurbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VtecnTurbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">buy a used gsr engine harness (obdII) since the civics are one piece. plug it up to the motor and connect plugs to your shock towers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. This is a common misconception that I've read way too much. Buy a harness closest to your vehicle. So 95 civic means buy a 95 civic harness from an ex that has vtec pins already in place. The harness has OBD1 pin configurations and will match up with the cabin harness so no funny business with the cluster, etc.

If you buy a used GSR harness, you're getting a 2 piece harness. If you get an OBD2a or OBD2b harness, you're going to have to repin the clip going to your cabin harness.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suggestions for OBD2 --> OBD1 harness conversion? (Blk00EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No. This is a common misconception that I've read way too much. Buy a harness closest to your vehicle. So 95 civic means buy a 95 civic harness from an ex that has vtec pins already in place. The harness has OBD1 pin configurations and will match up with the cabin harness so no funny business with the cluster, etc.

If you buy a used GSR harness, you're getting a 2 piece harness. If you get an OBD2a or OBD2b harness, you're going to have to repin the clip going to your cabin harness.</TD></TR></TABLE>
He meant the '96-'00 Civic harness is 1 piece. And he was saying to get the OBD2 engine harness, not interior/main harness. The OBD2 Integra engine harness plugs right into the OBD1 plugs of the main harness (the one that runs through the firewall), there is no rewiring or repining needed. When you're installing an OBD2 engine in an OBD1 car, it makes no sense to go out and get another OBD1 harness, when you can buy an OBD2 harness and not worry about rewiring for different OBD parts.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suggestions for OBD2 --> OBD1 harness conversion? (CivicSpoon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSpoon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
He meant the '96-'00 Civic harness is 1 piece. And he was saying to get the OBD2 engine harness, not interior/main harness. The OBD2 Integra engine harness plugs right into the OBD1 plugs of the main harness (the one that runs through the firewall), there is no rewiring or repining needed. When you're installing an OBD2 engine in an OBD1 car, it makes no sense to go out and get another OBD1 harness, when you can buy an OBD2 harness and not worry about rewiring for different OBD parts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Something is not settling right with what you said... any arbitrary OBD2 harness will plug into an OBD1 cabin harness no problem? Then how does an OBD2a engine harness NOT plug directly into an OBD2b cabin harness and vice versa? Sure it'll fit, but some pins are different and that's why your cluster will be screwed up.

EDIT: on me. OBD2 harness IS backwards compatible with OBD1. My bad.

this should be all the info needed.

Modified by Blk00EJ8 at 3:26 AM 2/24/2008
Old 02-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSpoon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You need to send out your engine harness, or add the wires yourself. Just like I already explained to the person who started this topic. It has nothing to do with your ECU, which is what those conversion harnesses are for. It's going to cost you around $300 (plus shipping) to get your engine harness converted. Like with the original poster's harness, there aren't many wires to add, and you could easily do it yourself and save $300. There's only like 11 wires that you simply need to add (some of those are wires for vtec), as well as a couple more if you have a stock 1-wire O2 sensor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont know... those is new for me...i dont know which one stock 1 wire O2 sensor and wires too... i need to learn how to do it....
Old 02-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.rywire.com
Old 02-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The Lobster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Lobster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.rywire.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

i did check it out... some i dont know... so... OBD1 will harn with stock conversion harnesses?? but i dont know which conversion harnesses is civic cx or prelude... lol.....

Quick Reply: Suggestions for OBD2 --> OBD1 harness conversion?