Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Subtle Visual Upgrades to 1996 Civic DX - Options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subtle Visual Upgrades to 1996 Civic DX - Options?

My wife drives a 1996 Cypress Green Pearl Civic DX (four door.) She's a nomal (read: non-Honda enthusiast) person but I'm just trying to come up with subtle visual upgrades I can do to her car to make it look just a little non-stock.

No huge CF wings, widebody kits or anything like that. Just some stuff I can do on the cheap to improve the look of the car, make it more "clean" and differentiate it from the million other Cypress Green Pearl mid-nineties Civics driving around here.

Right now I'm thinking about taking the stock wheels off, cleaning them, priming them and painting them flat black but polishing the Honda "H" center caps. Maybe getting a stock Honda spoiler from the junkyard, debadging it, tinting the windows.

Another idea I had was to forgo messing with the stock wheels and seeing if I can find stock alloys from an Accord or something.

Any ideas?

I'm not lookin for performance upgrades because it's a 4-speed auto and she doesn't drive like I do.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think putting a small drop on the car with some 99-00 Si Wheels and 99-00 Si tailights. Also look into replacing the stock grill for a "type R' style grill.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ifIexplode)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ifIexplode &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think putting a small drop on the car with some 99-00 Si Wheels and 99-00 Si tailights. Also look into replacing the stock grill for a "type R' style grill. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I was really wanting to do something to the grille but I wasn't sure what. I'm going to start looking for those now, thanks.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something like this does wonders.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem
Old 11-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ifIexplode)

99 tails tints debadged.....so hawt would definetly look apart from the other sedans on the parking lot lol
Old 11-02-2007, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TypeRobert)

Question about debadging.

If I go for the Type-R grille as suggested (which I really want to now, it's much cleaner) I won't have to worry about debadging the front but on the rear deck lid, are the "Civic," "DX" and "H" emblems mounted in the metal or just adhered to it with 3M adhesive or something?

It would put the kibosh on debadging if I had to fill holes because I can't afford to have the dents fixed and the car repainted if I have to weld over holes.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rancidhooligan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rancidhooligan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Question about debadging.

If I go for the Type-R grille as suggested (which I really want to now, it's much cleaner) I won't have to worry about debadging the front but on the rear deck lid, are the "Civic," "DX" and "H" emblems mounted in the metal or just adhered to it with 3M adhesive or something?

It would put the kibosh on debadging if I had to fill holes because I can't afford to have the dents fixed and the car repainted if I have to weld over holes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The "CIVIC" and "DX" badges are just held on by factory glue. The easiest way to remove them is using DENTAL FLOSS. You might tear it a few times, so have a roll handy, it's certainly worth not scratching your paint, so stick with floss. Also, have some "goo gone" or other adhesive cleaner to pull off any that sticks on to the hatch. It's harmless to the paint (AFAIK, it didn't hurt my car.)

The "H" badge has 2 pins, in addition to the glue. They are colored blue, and hold the "H" into the hatch. It looks terrible if you don't weld/fill the holes some how.

Spoken from personal experience

You can also try lowering it just a little bit? I have my car on Neuspeed sport springs. It makes the ride a BIT more bumpy, but I enjoy the responsiveness of my suspension. It doesn't look dumped, but it doesn't look like a raised truck out of riverside. About a 1.5" drop?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (confucioussae)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by confucioussae &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The "CIVIC" and "DX" badges are just held on by factory glue. The easiest way to remove them is using DENTAL FLOSS. You might tear it a few times, so have a roll handy, it's certainly worth not scratching your paint, so stick with floss.

The "H" badge has 2 pins, in addition to the glue. They are colored blue, and hold the "H" into the hatch. It looks terrible if you don't weld/fill the holes some how.

Spoken from personal experience </TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome. I guess I'll just leave the "H" badge and take the "CIVIC" and "DX" badges off. It will still be cleaner, anyway.

Modified by rancidhooligan at 8:07 AM 11/3/2007
Old 11-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by confucioussae &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can also try lowering it just a little bit? I have my car on Neuspeed sport springs. It makes the ride a BIT more bumpy, but I enjoy the responsiveness of my suspension. It doesn't look dumped, but it doesn't look like a raised truck out of riverside. About a 1.5" drop? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Don't think my wife would like it lowered... I have trouble on some of the roads around here and my Integra is at a 1.5" drop on Tein springs.

Any easy way to get the remaining adhesive residue off? Something fast that won't mess up the paint?
Old 11-03-2007, 07:19 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would def. put some tein s-techs on it.

Debadge, and a good wax. All you need.

Sounds like you already have some oem wheels, leave them alone or paint them.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rancidhooligan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any easy way to get the remaining adhesive residue off? Something fast that won't mess up the paint?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by confucioussae &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, have some "goo gone" or other adhesive cleaner to pull off any that sticks on to the hatch. It's harmless to the paint (AFAIK, it didn't hurt my car.)</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (confucioussae)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by confucioussae &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, have some "goo gone" or other adhesive cleaner to pull off any that sticks on to the hatch. It's harmless to the paint (AFAIK, it didn't hurt my car.)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, well, yes... hmmmm. The only excuse for the douchebaggery I displayed here is that I'm at work and may have had something come up while I was reading your original post. Still, that's not really an excuse. Appy poly logies for asking a question you had already answered.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:41 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rancidhooligan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't think my wife would like it lowered... I have trouble on some of the roads around here and my Integra is at a 1.5" drop on Tein springs.

Any easy way to get the remaining adhesive residue off? Something fast that won't mess up the paint?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Use a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive and then use Goo Gone to remove the remaining adhesive. DO NOT use a credit card or such to lift the badges off. They do scratch the paint and dark paint will show scratches easier.

Post pics. I want to know what wheels she has.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:16 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (NOFX)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6geclt1&s=1

lip kit run me about 150 for both. sidemarkers, are stanley dont remmeber how much i paid, and that front grill will really make a difference man. not too expensive but it will definitely set your car apart from all the others out there.

Modified by ferioeightytwo at 2:59 PM 11/3/2007

Modified by ferioeightytwo at 2:59 PM 11/3/2007
Old 11-03-2007, 01:17 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (ferioeightytwo)

sorry for the big *** pic
Old 11-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Post pics. I want to know what wheels she has.</TD></TR></TABLE>

She's got just the normal, metal stock rims that came on the mid-1990's DXs. They're, like, a step up from steelies. I'm at work right now but I'll post pics when I get home tonight or tomorrow.

I'm washing her car tomorrow so I might wait until then.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:48 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rancidhooligan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">She's got just the normal, metal stock rims that came on the mid-1990's DXs. They're, like, a step up from steelies. I'm at work right now but I'll post pics when I get home tonight or tomorrow.

I'm washing her car tomorrow so I might wait until then.</TD></TR></TABLE>
While there are optional Civic wheels that you could get for those cars, the DXes stock had steelies with hubcaps.

And don't get the front lip pictured above. It's an "Si/CTR" type lip made to fit a '96-'98 and doesn't seem to match as well on the '96-'98 front imo. Mostly because that lip goes with the fake brake ducts on the side of the '99-'00 front lip, which the '96-'98 doesn't have.

And ferioeightytwo, you should remove that image and just link to it at least. That way we don't all have to scroll over to read all the posts.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And ferioeightytwo, you should remove that image and just link to it at least. That way we don't all have to scroll over to read all the posts.</TD></TR></TABLE>
X2

I found a link. The wheels she has are like the one on the left-hand side of this picture.

http://gallery.digitaldeviatio...7.jpg
Old 11-03-2007, 02:00 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rancidhooligan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">X2

I found a link. The wheels she has are like the one on the left-hand side of this picture.

http://gallery.digitaldeviatio...7.jpg</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, those are just steelies. Only silver instead of the common black (like EX steelies are black).
Old 11-03-2007, 02:01 PM
* B A N N E D *

done
Old 11-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, those are just steelies. Only silver instead of the common black (like EX steelies are black).</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm just looking to do some inexpensive, but not cheap-looking, upgrades to enhance the appearance of her car.

I think black wheels look great on dark green cars so cleaning, priming and painting her wheels flat black will go a long way to making her car look better, IMHO, even though the rims aren't the best looking shape.

The different grille, too, will make the car look better, as will debadging. Just trying to get some additional ideas I can pull off to surprise her with.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Subtle Visual Upgrades to 1996 Civic DX - Options? (rancidhooligan)

headlight eyebrowls
Old 11-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Subtle Visual Upgrades to 1996 Civic DX - Options? (MeetyourconnecT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MeetyourconnecT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">headlight eyebrowls </TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay... what is the point of those? I have never understood them.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:47 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rancidhooligan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm just looking to do some inexpensive, but not cheap-looking, upgrades to enhance the appearance of her car.

I think black wheels look great on dark green cars so cleaning, priming and painting her wheels flat black will go a long way to making her car look better, IMHO, even though the rims aren't the best looking shape.

The different grille, too, will make the car look better, as will debadging. Just trying to get some additional ideas I can pull off to surprise her with.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'd suggest LS meshies (easy to find and not too expensive), but they look like *** black. It takes away all of the depth.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rancidhooligan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay... what is the point of those? I have never understood them.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Decoration. I think they look bad personally.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Decoration. I think they look bad personally.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I concur... I thought maybe there was some advantage to having them but I could never figure out what. Now I know and knowing is half the battle.

LS Meshies would be sweet and if I can find some, I'll do it but until then, it's black stockers... and no, I'd never paint an OEM Honda alloy wheel black.

Quick Reply: Subtle Visual Upgrades to 1996 Civic DX - Options?