Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stupid newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid newbie question

I looked over the FAQ thread and found a lot of good information there. I just bought a 96 Civic. The guy I bought it from said he thought the previous owner may have heated the springs to lower the car. I did notice that the right rear wheel was noticeably out of camber.

My question is what would be the most economical way to correct the ride and the geometry?

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to the different spring options. I have seen coil overs, lowering springs and complete suspension kits. I don't plan on racing the car, but I'm not opposed to a sporty stance. I want it to be safe to drive and ride decent.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Garry
Old 12-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stupid newbie question

Well, if you have the extra money I'd suggest Tein lowering springs. They're roughly $160 for all 4, and lower the car around 1.6" in the back, and 1.8" in the front. My suggestion would be to stay away from coilovers, they're really expensive and usually require you buying upgraded shocks as well. With the Tein springs you can leave everything stock and still have good ride quality.

However, if you'd rather just revert to stock you can check the for sale threads here, or your local junkyard and pick up stock springs for probably $30 or less.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the information. I have not looked at the spring setup. Is it pretty easy to change the springs? Is there anything special I need to know?

I am mechanically inclined and have experience lifting trucks and jeeps but have limited experience on Hondas.

I have a spring compressor, air, impact, air hammer, etc. Anything else I might need?
Old 12-27-2008, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by greenflag135
Thanks for the information. I have not looked at the spring setup. Is it pretty easy to change the springs? Is there anything special I need to know?

I am mechanically inclined and have experience lifting trucks and jeeps but have limited experience on Hondas.

I have a spring compressor, air, impact, air hammer, etc. Anything else I might need?
its pretty simple as long as u have the spring compressor thats pertty much all u need