Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stumped Car wont start unless its on fire! tried everything need new ideas!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped Car wont start unless its on fire! tried everything need new ideas!!!

I have a 94 civic EX that i swapped in a 95 obd1 jdm b16a in this is probably my 30th swap so no issues there. Went to start it car cranks fine has spark and fuel

Checked for fuel pressure before and after the fuel rail and its good
Replaced the injectors with the old ones that we know worked.
Replaced the ECU with 2 known working ones.
Replaced the Distributor with 2 working ones
Replaced the plugs with 2 sets of new plugs
Checked the engine for compression and belt timing everything is perfect with 240 psi.
Harness on engine is his old one and ran 40 minutes earlier
everthing was unplugged and checked and plugged back in.

Sprayed starting fluid in the motor it will not fire unless you light the starting fluid and the intake is sucking flames in while cranking with full throttle then itll run badly but then cut off.

NEVER had a car not run with starting fliud when you have spark and compression.

Also blew out the manifold and cylinders to clean anything in them didnt help.

any help would be great!
Old 12-25-2005, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Stumped Car wont start unless its on fire! tried everything need new ideas!!! (Benbuilt4u)

sounded like it does not getting any fuel at all.
have you try to remove the fuel rail with the injectors and turn the car over to see if the injectors spraying fuel.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:57 AM

wtf?!?!?! where did you learn to spin wrenches that you thought it is/was a good idea to spray flaming starting fluid into your engine?!?!
Old 12-25-2005, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stumped Car wont start unless its on fire! tried everything need new ideas!!! (2lua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2lua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounded like it does not getting any fuel at all.
have you try to remove the fuel rail with the injectors and turn the car over to see if the injectors spraying fuel.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I agree
Did you make sure you have all the grounds connected?
Old 12-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stumped Car wont start unless its on fire! tried everything need new ideas!!! (Benbuilt4u)

check the timing on the motor
Old 12-25-2005, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dfn_doe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dfn_doe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wtf?!?!?! where did you learn to spin wrenches that you thought it is/was a good idea to spray flaming starting fluid into your engine?!?!</TD></TR></TABLE>

who cares if its on fire.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dfn_doe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wtf?!?!?! where did you learn to spin wrenches that you thought it is/was a good idea to spray flaming starting fluid into your engine?!?!</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxca64 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check the timing on the motor </TD></TR></TABLE>

did this

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2lua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounded like it does not getting any fuel at all.
have you try to remove the fuel rail with the injectors and turn the car over to see if the injectors spraying fuel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

honestly when i pull the plug it looks like its flooding itself but i will try to check them to see if there spraying.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL, no offense, but spraying lit ether down your TB is pretty damn funny. I know what it's like to resort to some crazy **** when nothing else is working, though. The flame is igniting your fuel, causing it to run briefly. That points to ignition. How do you know it's firing?
Old 12-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stumped Car wont start unless its on fire! tried everything need new ideas!!! (nolimits)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nolimits &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL, no offense, but spraying lit ether down your TB is pretty damn funny. I know what it's like to resort to some crazy **** when nothing else is working, though. The flame is igniting your fuel, causing it to run briefly. That points to ignition. How do you know it's firing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is what i thought pulled all four plugs and put them in the wires grounded them and cranked it thing is perfect every cylinder sparked bright blue and in perfect order
Old 12-25-2005, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stumped Car wont start unless its on fire! tried everything need new ideas!!! (nolimits)

first make sure you have both sides of the engine harness plugged in.

then if it still won;t start, go buy a spark tester. then go buy a noid light. this will tell you if you have spark and if your good injectors are getting a signal.

then you can diagnoss from there. total in tools should be less than 50 bucks, and save tons of time.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could your timing be 180' out. That would be a possibility I think. Sometimes it is those stupid little things that screw you the hRDEST.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stumped Car wont start unless its on fire! tried everything need new ideas!!! (Snail Tuning)

Yeah, those little noid lights can be handy...I have yet to buy one though . I still think it's ignition. Distributer 180deg? Firing order correct? It's probably something really stupid.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

might be getting spark, but it might not be enough to ignite, ive seen it happen and it tooks 2 weeks to figure it out
Old 12-25-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Stumped Car wont start unless its on fire! tried everything need new ideas!!! (zildude182)

I had the same problem w/ my LS. It was getting fuel and spark, but wouldn't turn over. Used starting fluid it got it to run perfect till it burn out all the fluid in the chambers. Well, after bout to junk the car, j/k, it turned out to be the dang map sensor. Replacede it it and it ran perfect till this old fart pulled out in front of me only after having the car on the road for a month.