Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

stumbled upon a 98 Civic type R JDM RHD $5000

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stumbled upon a 98 Civic type R JDM RHD $5000

So there is a 98CTR for sale in really pristine condition. Is this worth buying and then pulling apart and bringing back the guts to build a CTR EK replica LHD in the states? I'm in Japan if anyone is wondering, I'm only going to use it for 12 months. The CTR has 111,000 Kilometers and still has the original gathers tape deck LOL. Interior is Mint and only mod is Mugen Full exhaust, I've been out of the Honda scene for a while so I'm not sure if B series EK are even still in. I'm under the impression everyone is running Kswaps now. Anyhow I would have free shipping of parts via the Military. Just wondering what the consensus is from people in the scene.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by FermiumHalo; 02-11-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: stumbled upon a 98 Civic type R JDM RHD $5000

Un-modified ctr gets a thumbs up from me. If it still has the b16B, which it sounds to me like that's what your saying, then it'd be a fun car to have for sure. B-series motors still hold there own well I think...the price tag doesn't seem too bad either. If that were a car that was over here, selling for that price, it would be snatched up in seconds I bet. To have it to import and legalized over here (I'm not really sure what's all involved but it's a pain, I know) would be awesome; or even just to turn it into a track only car or parts car would be pretty good. If it's mint, theres gonna be a lot of good parts on it. Any pictures?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bring the entire car back with you, if that's allowed. I checked into having a car shipped from there to the US, and was told it would run around $3000 plus the price of the car.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was told you can NOT bring the car back unless its over 25 years old. I think it would be just cool to take B16B and trans,mirrors, wiring harness, SRS momo, 5lug swap, wheels, full interior, wing, bumper skin, lights, fenders, exhaust. junk everything else Then buy a EK hatch and spray it white and WHAMMY LHD CTR. Only problem is the PO and like lots of nice cars in Japan they do some crazy mods... The Cluster has been outfitted with Indiglo gauges. I mean it's a Legit CTR cluster with the yellow needles but the PO put white faces on the cluster. Anyhow if that is ruined a used one from Bay would run $330 more or less. Other then that the Car appears to be in Awesome shape. 1 owner and the rear taillights are not Red with White strip... instead have Amber and white in the strip. here is a link
http://www.us-autosales.com/details.php?fr=568
Old 02-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can if there is a US counterpart with crashtest data. which the civic has. it really depends on what state you live in. All of the import rules are a cluster screw of contradictions. Ive seen CTRs legalized here. there is like a 3 percent teriff on passenger vehicals and the vin number has to be converted from the japanese to the american. but really it comes down to what your state will do . the US gov says the 25 year but ive seen cars much younger than 25 years There is a 95 r33 skyline a guy owns down the street from me so there has to be some sort of loop hole. i still want to ask him how

I would look up the dealernet work called TradeCarView they are a japanese dealer network that sells used cars to around the world they would most likley know how is done. www.tradecarview.com
Old 02-11-2010, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FermiumHalo
So there is a 98CTR for sale in really pristine condition. Guy will sell for $5000. Is this worth buying and then pulling apart and bringing back the guts to build a CTR EK replica LHD in the states? I'm in Japan if anyone is wondering, so $5000 for a used car is expensive out here considering I'm only going to use it for 12 months. The CTR has 111,000 Kilometers and still has the original gathers tape deck LOL. Interior is Mint and only mod is Mugen Full exhaust, I've been out of the Honda scene for a while so I'm not sure if B series EK are even still in. I'm under the impression everyone is running Kswaps now. Anyhow I would have free shipping of parts via the Military. Just wondering what the consensus is from people in the scene.

Thanks in advance
Dude, if you're wondering about getting a CTR because you're not sure if a "B series EK is the in" and not because it's arguably the best Civic ever made then you need a kick in the nuts.

The government will not pay to ship your car back. If it's so easy then why isn't everyone doing it?

It's pretty difficult to get parts shipped back unless you know what you're doing or you break it all down and ship it through the post office.

Are you 100% positive that they said they'd sell you a car listed at $7,995 for $5,000?

$5,000 = 449,275.00

That car sells for twice that on the Japanese market...

It's very rare that a place like US Auto Sales would knock almost $3,000 off their asking price considering if you don't buy it then another sucker fresh off the boat will.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Government will not ship it back the CTR... but if I break it down into parts and shipt it with my household goods it will come back with my belongings... as far as the price goes $5000 is what It will cost me after I sell my current car. So even with the cluster not being original would it be worth stripping and bringing back?
Old 02-11-2010, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Government will not ship it back the CTR... but if I break it down into parts and shipt it with my household goods it will come back with my belongings... as far as the price goes $5000 is what It will cost me after I sell my current car. So even with the cluster not being original would it be worth stripping and bringing back?

Good luck, there's a lot of red tape with shipping car parts with house hold goods.

TMO or whatever your branch of service calls the moving section doesn't talk to the movers so what TMO says is cool might not be cool with the moving company.

Get the 5k in a legal contract. US Auto Sales will get their $7995 out of you one way or another.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Koopa Troopa
Good luck, there's a lot of red tape with shipping car parts with house hold goods.

TMO or whatever your branch of service calls the moving section doesn't talk to the movers so what TMO says is cool might not be cool with the moving company.
I had a ton of parts (bumpers, dash, intake manifolds, fuel rails, etc) in my household goods during the last move (2 moves done with car parts so far, it was hawaii and stateside though), the company just boxed it all up and shipped it without a hassle. The only issue I can think of would be with hazardous materials and chemicals, they may do it differently in Japan though. My buddy picked up a r32 skyline for $5k a few years back, don't think this is an unheard of deal. Get it all in writing and I would say go for it!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96GSRCivic
I had a ton of parts (bumpers, dash, intake manifolds, fuel rails, etc) in my household goods during the last move (2 moves done with car parts so far, it was hawaii and stateside though), the company just boxed it all up and shipped it without a hassle. The only issue I can think of would be with hazardous materials and chemicals, they may do it differently in Japan though. My buddy picked up a r32 skyline for $5k a few years back, don't think this is an unheard of deal. Get it all in writing and I would say go for it!

$5k for a non GTR R32 should be considered a felon. Even then you can find 32 GTR's for around $5k.

You have to know the rules but most Japanese shipping companies will refuse to pack any car parts. Like I said, you have to know the rules cause I've had friends ship tons of **** and I've known other dudes who had to leave a bunch of parts behind.

I'm not going to post them on here. I'll only speak to the OP in person.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pix of the car?? I saw it and look clean. I would check the record of the vehicle..
Old 02-11-2010, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The link has already been posted

http://www.us-autosales.com/details.php?fr=568
Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im new here and just looking around and Ive been reading these posts I would buy it if I had the funds. But these cars are kinds hit or miss on shipping, if US customs finds out your shipping a non-conformed veh. they will seize the car and charge you to ship it back or charge you to crush it, EPA does not allow these Veh. in America b/c they haven't been crash tested, and certian part are not US legal, like plastic headlights not all glass(ex. windsheild) is not safety glass, meaning you will get F*cked up in a wreck, most newer JDM cars do have safety glass, but you can get shipped with going through an ICI(international comerical importer) and they will charge you around $5k-$25 to conform(installing Catalytic converter, O2 sensors, dumb stuff that If I bought a JDM RHD car I wouldn't want) or you can ship as race only(not to be registered ever) or show car which can be driven a few hundered or thousand miles per year. you just have to get proper Documents from EPA, US customs, and local DMV websites which can be used to get shipped of, thats why if you look around you'll find GTR R23 and R33 registered as a nissian 240, and so on... but if you want to take it apart and put it all back together have fun....
Old 02-11-2010, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FYI look up http://www.japan-partner.com/
Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 AM

wait do you plan on importing it to the states
Old 02-11-2010, 12:17 PM

you for sure need to buy it and bring back every part you can
Old 02-11-2010, 12:20 PM

dude if you can buy the car for 5000 and have the parts shipped for free it is a great deal that engine swap goes for that in the states and you will have everything else for very little money you would be crazy not to buy that
Old 02-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No Comments on the cluster being jacked up?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just take the gauges off.....its still a ctr cluster under the indiglos
Old 02-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just came like a million times while looking at that car!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No Comments on the cluster being jacked up?
The cluster isn't "jacked up", you just have to take it apart and take off the gay gauges.
I wouldn't really worry about the cluster to much anyway, there are a lot of better parts on that car.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blackmugensivic
The cluster isn't "jacked up", you just have to take it apart and take off the gay gauges.
I wouldn't really worry about the cluster to much anyway, there are a lot of better parts on that car.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the GOv pry wont ship it back but for a single car container its any where from 1200-1800 shipping to LA from japan
Old 02-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when i got stationed in japan i came back broke, but i did have a bad as@ build when i got back, they would not let me ship the car back but the parts were not that bad to get back all my buddies that get stationed in oki i have tabs on good luck
Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try to import it as a show car and drive it a couple hundred miles a year only.

*my vss broke so on paper it says I've only driven a couple miles since 2008* Cough Cough

Quick Reply: stumbled upon a 98 Civic type R JDM RHD $5000