Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

striped screw on rotor for distributor

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default striped screw on rotor for distributor

So I was trying to check the voltage on my coil, and ignitor. I was trying to take that screw out on the rotor, then it got striped. so I went to sears and got this strip screw remover. When I used that I just ended up counter sinking the top of the screw. So there is no way I can remove it now. Can anyone help me out on this? What should I do? I still need to check my ignitor and coil.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: striped screw on rotor for distributor (Tealeg88)

drill it out with a small bit
Old 01-15-2006, 01:12 PM

Be very very careful, I ruined my dizzy trying to remove the rotor

Before I screwed up my dizzy, a friend of mine was going to use a dremel with a small saw, and cut a hex on the side of the screw head. Then we would have been able to use a pair of needle nose vise grip pliers.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:20 PM

Default Re: striped screw on rotor for distributor (josephshark)

i've had this happen before too.
i just broke off the rotor button, and the plastic shrouding. then used a pair of vice grips to get the screw out. replacing the rotor and cover is a lot cheaper and easier then the whole distributor
Old 01-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: striped screw on rotor for distributor (del slw)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by del slw &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've had this happen before too.
i just broke off the rotor button, and the plastic shrouding. then used a pair of vice grips to get the screw out. replacing the rotor and cover is a lot cheaper and easier then the whole distributor</TD></TR></TABLE>

you wont be using the rotor anyway. make sure you put anti sieze on the new screw. the heat makes the screw stick to the shaft if its not lubed.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:29 PM

Default Re: striped screw on rotor for distributor (del slw)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by del slw &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've had this happen before too.
i just broke off the rotor button, and the plastic shrouding. then used a pair of vice grips to get the screw out. replacing the rotor and cover is a lot cheaper and easier then the whole distributor</TD></TR></TABLE>

Right I think this is the easier way to do it . Lol forget about my way, this is much easier.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gator grips (vise grips) and a hammer will do the job!
Old 01-15-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Re: striped screw on rotor for distributor (JDrock86)

I would be very careful with any banging, I think that is what screwed my dizzy.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:26 PM

By breaking off the rotor button...If by the button you mean the the circular part with the little metal on it. So I break that off right, Will I be able to have enough clearance to get some vice grips around the screw? And IF I break off the cover too, would that need to be replaced? Also what if i do all that and I still can't get the screw off(god damn that screw to hell). What do I do than? And there is no way i can get anything in the head of that screw. I mean that thing was pissing me off so I just drilled the **** out of it and made a nice circular hole in it.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:39 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tealeg88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">By breaking off the rotor button...If by the button you mean the the circular part with the little metal on it. So I break that off right, Will I be able to have enough clearance to get some vice grips around the screw? And IF I break off the cover too, would that need to be replaced? Also what if i do all that and I still can't get the screw off(god damn that screw to hell). What do I do than? And there is no way i can get anything in the head of that screw. I mean that thing was pissing me off so I just drilled the **** out of it and made a nice circular hole in it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, don't mean to laugh, but what ever you do be very careful. I was in the same boat, I was furious at that god damn thing. For crying out loud it f'ing cost me almost $200 to replace the dizzy which was just supposed to be damn cap and rotor. I guess if you are going to be breaking the rotor, you might be able to do with out breaking up the cover.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:43 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

yeah some vice grips. Don't put anti seize on it. If anything I would put lock-tite on it. 2nd day after I got my car, the fucken screw came out (some idiot put it in prolly) and it sent my rotor right thru the cap. I was lucky it didn't take anything out with it.