Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Strange noise on cold starts...need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange noise on cold starts...need ideas

I noticed a week or two ago that when I start up my car first thing in the morning, It makes this nasty noise almost like a valve is super loose and rattling. After the motor (B16a) comes up to NOT the noise goes away. I checked it out today and it seems to be coming from the intake side of the motor. I figured that if the valves needed adjsutment then it would make that noise all the time not just when cold. Does anyone have any opther ideas or experience with this?
Old 05-27-2004, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Strange noise on cold starts...need ideas (hatchdrvr)

I have a same problem with 03 honda civic ex. manual. I had this problem only when the weather was cold. stays for a while until car gets warmed up. I thought that was coming from back by the exhaust pipe. Not sure about this. let me know if u find something to resolve this issue. thanks
Old 05-27-2004, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Strange noise on cold starts...need ideas (hatchdrvr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchdrvr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I noticed a week or two ago that when I start up my car first thing in the morning, It makes this nasty noise almost like a valve is super loose and rattling. After the motor (B16a) comes up to NOT the noise goes away. I checked it out today and it seems to be coming from the intake side of the motor. I figured that if the valves needed adjsutment then it would make that noise all the time not just when cold. Does anyone have any opther ideas or experience with this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's most likely valve lash that needs adjustment. Mine did the same thing, did an adjustment, and now is quieter than when I bought it.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Strange noise on cold starts...need ideas (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's most likely valve lash that needs adjustment. Mine did the same thing, did an adjustment, and now is quieter than when I bought it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah this is what everyone is telling me. so I will try a valve adjustment and hope it works.

&lt;-------crosses fingers.......thanks guys