Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Strait Pipes / Test Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strait Pipes / Test Pipes

ok heres the deal i want to get a strait pipe for my civic but i need the info on what bad whats good, what can happen when its on, basicly every single thing i need to know.....i have after market header and exhaust, but i dont think it should matter, the only thing im worried about is connecting the strait pipe, because everything is alot stiffer under the car (held together alot tighter) so please let me know even post pics would be good thanks much!
Old 10-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

stay legal and get a hi flow cat!
Old 10-12-2005, 08:13 PM

hah you serious???

its a replacement for you cat. dont be worried about it being stiffer, frankly i dont know what would even make you think of that.

also i dont know where you live, but Test Pipes are illegal. Off-Road Use only, and you prolly wont pass smog, if you live in a state that tests
Old 10-12-2005, 09:51 PM

i know its illegal but i dont care and there is no smog test in Michigan, and by stiffer i mean i had to connect my exhaust then hang it beacuse when it was hung there was about a 1 inch gap between the cat and the cat back exhaust, and my fart can is bearly past the bumper, i got burn marks :-( but i am hoping the strait pipe will fix this and get some length on the exhaust, if u know wat i mean, im goin home from college this weekend ill try to post some pics, if this post dies off ill make another with pics, thanks
Old 10-12-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Re: (markysparky)

is your header and exhaust from a reputable brand? running a straight pipe or test pipe isnt going to solve your problems. its going to be the same length as your stock cat. if you want to fix your problem now, get a header that actually fits properly or have a muffler shop redo the piping so its properly extended
Old 10-12-2005, 10:08 PM
99-0104

Default Re: (ek4d00r)

yay your going to gain 2hp by having a straight pipe ... why not just get a high flow cat and call it a day ...... think about the future for others there is just no reason to run catless
Old 10-13-2005, 12:52 AM

my reasons for runing catless
1:my cat is effin cloged up and im loosing power
2:its rusted to hell
3:the test pipe is only 15 bucks NEW

and my header is megan racing 4-2-1
Old 10-13-2005, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by markysparky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my reasons for runing catless
1:my cat is effin cloged up and im loosing power
2:its rusted to hell
3:the test pipe is only 15 bucks NEW

and my header is megan racing 4-2-1</TD></TR></TABLE>

$15 and polluting as hell or....
$100 and maybe your child wont have 3 legs and 1 eyeball
Old 10-13-2005, 06:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Stripped Honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stripped Honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yay your going to gain 2hp by having a straight pipe ... </TD></TR></TABLE>

probably not even that much, not to mention it'll make your exhaust sound 10x worse. if you're worried about your exhaust fitment, take it to a muffler shop and have them weld in a couple inches of pipe. There is no reason to replace the cat just because your muffler is too tucked in. that would be like replacing your tranny because you broke your shifter.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:30 AM

that would be like replacing your tranny because you broke your shifter.

ROFL
Old 10-13-2005, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Strait Pipes / Test Pipes (markysparky)

these guys already gave you their opinion about running catless and i am personally againts it too. obviously the negative weighs more than the positive (if there's any at all). its your car so its up to you now.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Strait Pipes / Test Pipes (1cleanEJ8)

you drive a modded civic, police do hood pops and cat checks all the time. You will get your car towed, you will have to pay a 500 to 1500 fine. You won't get a fix it later ticket, not running a cat on your car is a hudge issue
Old 10-13-2005, 09:03 AM

Yeah I agree with the whole deal about getting a cat. I had a test pipe on my 99 Si. It threw a CEL (secondary o2) so I converted to OBD-1 (fixed the CEL). I noticed NO gains driving wise or at the track. The exhaust sounded so much worse too!
Old 10-13-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: (-Trinitron-)

yeah stop polluting the air and get a hi flow cat! save the world one day at a time!
Old 10-13-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: (Stripped Honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stripped Honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yay your going to gain 2hp by having a straight pipe ... why not just get a high flow cat and call it a day ...... think about the future for others there is just no reason to run catless</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol this guys has a point. but i aint changing
Old 10-13-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Strait Pipes / Test Pipes (markysparky)

what i would do is hollow out uor stock cat so there is nothing in there and then reweld it back on thats what i did to my 96 civic ex stock header to a stock cat hallowed out and then 2 1/4 inch all the way to a mufflur
Old 10-13-2005, 10:46 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by markysparky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my reasons for runing catless
1:my cat is effin cloged up and im loosing power</TD></TR></TABLE>

1.) it's "losing" not "loosing". Loosing would be the active form of the verb "to loose" which means "to let go" or "unleash".

2.) you're not losing dick for power because you're not making dick for power, asshat. You drive a Honda. I don't give a **** what engine is in front of that icy hot Megan Racing header and fart cannon exhaust: it's not making enough exhaust gas that your stock cat is going to rob you of tenths of a second at the track (like that's where you plan on racing it any way).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by markysparky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2:its rusted to hell</TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF does the aesthetic value of your exhaust system have to do with its functionality?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by markysparky the moron nooblet who's pissing me off &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3:the test pipe is only 15 bucks NEW</TD></TR></TABLE>

And the environment is priceless. Leave your cat alone and work on not misshifting rather than worrying about <u>all the insane amounts of power!!!1!one!!</u> being lost through your aging emissions controls.

I'm going to pick pumpkins with my girlfriend now. You can hash this out on your own time. Peace.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

I ran a test pipe for a while. Picked up a magnaflow hi-flow cat on ebay (if you buy a cat on ebay, make sure its a name brand) for $50 shipped. This made exactly 0 effect on my 1/4 times (i actually ran a tenth faster, but cannot attribute that to the cat, too many variables), and my exhaust sounds far better. The difference in sound alone is worth the $35 extra.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm going to pick pumpkins with my girlfriend now. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you call it picking pumpkins in ohio? I call it bumping uglies down here .
Old 10-13-2005, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IHateJDM)

Its not worth it. My friend had a test pipe on his civic with a tanabe racing medalion exhaust and a b16, it sounded like total ****, at all rpm's . Get a high-flow cat.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: (skylinetph26)

i have a catless exaust all mugen all the way back i had a pipe cut and put in at a local shop for forty bucks and it sounds and preforms better in my opoinion im not planning on having kids so to me it doesnt matter im thinking of have flanges cut onto my resinator and pipe si i can switch between the 2 of them at will but my queston is how will it effeect prefrommance on a 10:8 to 1 compression. better or worse
Old 10-13-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: (Pojazz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pojazz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">10:8 to 1 compression. </TD></TR></TABLE>

only punctuation in the entire post, and you did it wrong. 10.8:1 .

performance is not a matter of opinion, but you're really not gaining anything.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pojazz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> im thinking of have flanges cut onto my resinator and pipe si i can switch between the 2 of them at will but my queston is how will it effeect prefrommance on a 10:8 to 1 compression. better or worse
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No idea what you're asking there.

Glad you're not having kids. Don't see what that has to do with anything.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: (IHateJDM)

running a complete strait pipe better or worse will not having a resinator effect my back pressure?
Old 10-13-2005, 06:39 PM

omg archidictus like u actually got the the definition of loosing and **** hahahha thats funny u got to rip on some 1 for a spelling mistake...and as my stock cat is rusted and CLOGED, I DO NOT HAVE EXHAUST FLOW, therefor i would notice a gain in MY exhaust system, i would also like to have a full stainless exhaust its nicer....is that so bad? police dont do hood pops wear i live either, atleast ive never seen one or heard of 1 in my life, which i have lived here my hole life...soo idk i guess ur the rich guy that that can afford all the jdm ****, sorry im a freshmen in college and its hard to afford anything.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:40 PM

just to let u all know im lookin into a high flow cat, which ever is cheaper, or if i can make a few bucks ill get the highflow cat
Old 10-14-2005, 06:05 AM

Default Re: (Pojazz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pojazz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">running a complete strait pipe better or worse will not having a resinator effect my back pressure?</TD></TR></TABLE>

resonator really doesn't change backpressure enough to notice. I can see a test pipe helping on a turbo drag car (not built for the street), but for streetable hondas it really doesn't matter much at all. For the NA guys out there, theoretically a cat will help, because that will create more backpressure than a resonator will, but in my experience, I did not notice any power difference when swapping from test pipe to hi-flow cat (NA motor).

Quick Reply: Strait Pipes / Test Pipes