Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stolen Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen Door Handles

Hi guys...
My 94 Civic DX was sitting out at my parent's place and while it was out there a few things were stolen off it in the last couple weeks.
The car doesn't have an engine or tranny, so i left the key under the floor mat on the drivers side. I went out there to have the car trailered to my place so i can start working on it since i have a motor and tranny now, and a few things were stolen.

Headlights, turn signal lights, door handles and matching ignition/door key.

My question.
I've already found door handles online for cheap, but what do i do about a key?

i really don't know where to start here guys.. .any help is appreciated.. also ready for any flaming i might get for leaving the key inside the car. Ironically enough, i just didn't want to lose the key.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stolen Door Handles

You can pay to have a lock smith make keys and have the door locks match the ignition key. Something I have on my list of things to do since I need three keys for ignition, doors, and trunk
Old 10-30-2012, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199..._cylinder.html

Comes with a matching key that should do the trick for the ignition and they most likely have that for the doors
Old 10-30-2012, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by McNoobin
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199..._cylinder.html

Comes with a matching key that should do the trick for the ignition and they most likely have that for the doors
Seems like the best, cheapest way to go for this.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can get a complete lock set from honda to replace all the cylinders on your car. not cheap though.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ebay my friend.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome guys, thanks a ton, i'm checking out that link, and i've been searching on ebay I think i'm going to try to just pick the ignition so i can remove just the cylinder and replace it.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Trial User

For older model cars made before they started using the smart key chip consider having your door lock keys be different than your ignition key.
My '98 Civic was stolen recently and here's the deal:
There are only so many possible different key patterns for a given cylinder/key blank.
As your cylinder and tumblers wear, a key which is close but not an exact fit will eventually work in your car.
If your door locks are the same as your ignition lock, all a thief has to do is have a pocketful of close possible keys for your car model, try them in your drivers' door (usually the most worn lock on the car besides the ignition lock) until one works, and then he knows he can open your door, start your car and drive away.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by webecogs
For older model cars made before they started using the smart key chip consider having your door lock keys be different than your ignition key.
My '98 Civic was stolen recently and here's the deal:
There are only so many possible different key patterns for a given cylinder/key blank.
As your cylinder and tumblers wear, a key which is close but not an exact fit will eventually work in your car.
If your door locks are the same as your ignition lock, all a thief has to do is have a pocketful of close possible keys for your car model, try them in your drivers' door (usually the most worn lock on the car besides the ignition lock) until one works, and then he knows he can open your door, start your car and drive away.
This is why I replaced my ignition and door locks. I ordered mine through e bay and have no complaints.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Dafuq? They made off with a few piddly parts? Honestly. <shakes head> Those parts are so cheap online it's almost unfathomable why someone would steal them. Not as cheap as free, I guess.

So you need a new ignition set? As in, they took the ignition tumbler from the steering column? As well as the ones from the doors? What about the key tumbler from the trunk? And they took your only key?

I ask because there is a cheaper way to do things vs. buying new from Honda, but it helps to know what exactly you were left with.