Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stock Radio w/ Amp

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Radio w/ Amp

SO this is my previous topic..... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1797115

OK so i finally purchased a "speaker converter" I am in the process of connecting my amp up... Where do i get the amp signal wire from if i am running a stock deck? Thanks much appreciated
Old 12-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Stock Radio w/ Amp (Jdm_Eg686)

I built my own "Speaker Convertors" using a 4.7K and 470 ohm resister soldered together. You connect the RCA cable between the 470 ohm leads.

Does the stock deck have a power antenna wire? If so, I'd probably use that. You could also power the amp off a switched 12 volt circuit so, it turns off when the key's turned off.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:10 PM
I Deliver

It sould be a blue wire.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Do you mean power signal or audio signal? If power you need to wire to a switch so that you can cut on and off at your discretion. If audio, you need to get an inline converter.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stock Radio w/ Amp (Jdm_Eg686)

I don't think the stock head unit has a amp power turn on lead, I have mine connected to a switch, or just connect it to an ignition switched source
Old 12-16-2006, 05:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Stock Radio w/ Amp (sicones)

stock radio will not have power to amp signal....that has to come from somewhere else...
Old 12-16-2006, 06:02 PM

most people use the antenna wire with the stock decks. I would highly reccomend you get a deck though, as a deck with preamps, and if you're getting a woofer, sub preouts makes a huge difference in quality of sound. My friend who jerry rigged his speaker and woofer amp to his eclipses stock deck sounded like ***. Put in a decent deck and it made worlds of difference.

You can hook up with the high inputs(speaker wire) from the amp. Or you can buy a line level adapter that attachs to the back speakers, or in your case it would probably be easier to run them straight from behind the radio, in a 2dr teg, routing the RCA's from the rear speakers wouldnt be fun. There is a downside to putting in an ampsub with a stock unit. The amount of bass going to your amp through the RCA's is controlled by the bass setting you have on your 4 speakers from the factory headunit. Most people keep the bass on their speakers at 0 or in the negatives after they get a sub. I would highly recommend just getting an aftermarket headunit. If you get one with bass control you can control the output voltage from there. Plus if you get a decent deck from Alpine, pioneer, etc. the higher models allow you to adjust the frequency and polarity of the signal going to the amp. and on top of all of this youll get more power to your 4 speakers. Trust me, its worth it. Hope this was helpful.

all you need to do is find a wire that sends juice when you want the subs to be on... find the wire that sends the antenna up and down... It will work flawlessly (even though the antenna is only used while the RADIO is being played, the antenna still stays up while the head unit is ON... power is fed through this wire as long as the stereo is powere on)

also, you could splice it into the positive power supply... when headunit power is on, power will be sent through the remote wire to turn on your subs...however, not sure if 12v would be too much for the lil remote wire...
Old 12-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

I agree and disagree...

if done right you can run an amp/woofer setup off of a stock stereo just fine. I have done both replace the stereo head and the output converter method. Of course the sound quality will depend on how good your equipment is. If you have an output converter with adjustable gain controls than you should be fine (given you know how to tune the audio properly). As for the remote line...you can wire this to any fuse that is powered when the car is and not powered when the car is off. I believe they sell certain fuse clips that allow you to easily wire a remote line to a fuse cleanly. Lastly its all about the quality of the install...if you go about it quick and reckless expect the audio to sound like ****...take your time and do the wiring right. The last thing you wanna see is some melted plastic and a scorched carpet.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:34 PM

Default Re: (tEKnics)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tEKnics &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Lastly its all about the quality of the install...if you go about it quick and reckless expect the audio to sound like ****...take your time and do the wiring right. The last thing you wanna see is some melted plastic and a scorched carpet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with this statement 200 percent. And basically everything else you said too.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">most people use the antenna wire with the stock decks. I would highly reccomend you get a deck though, as a deck with preamps, and if you're getting a woofer, sub preouts makes a huge difference in quality of sound. My friend who jerry rigged his speaker and woofer amp to his eclipses stock deck sounded like ***. Put in a decent deck and it made worlds of difference.

You can hook up with the high inputs(speaker wire) from the amp. Or you can buy a line level adapter that attachs to the back speakers, or in your case it would probably be easier to run them straight from behind the radio, in a 2dr teg, routing the RCA's from the rear speakers wouldnt be fun. There is a downside to putting in an ampsub with a stock unit. The amount of bass going to your amp through the RCA's is controlled by the bass setting you have on your 4 speakers from the factory headunit. Most people keep the bass on their speakers at 0 or in the negatives after they get a sub. I would highly recommend just getting an aftermarket headunit. If you get one with bass control you can control the output voltage from there. Plus if you get a decent deck from Alpine, pioneer, etc. the higher models allow you to adjust the frequency and polarity of the signal going to the amp. and on top of all of this youll get more power to your 4 speakers. Trust me, its worth it. Hope this was helpful.

all you need to do is find a wire that sends juice when you want the subs to be on... find the wire that sends the antenna up and down... It will work flawlessly (even though the antenna is only used while the RADIO is being played, the antenna still stays up while the head unit is ON... power is fed through this wire as long as the stereo is powere on)

also, you could splice it into the positive power supply... when headunit power is on, power will be sent through the remote wire to turn on your subs...however, not sure if 12v would be too much for the lil remote wire...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I know what you mean, but the reason I am running a stock deck is because of theft. I live in Modesto, Cali.... The nations highest car theft rate. I dont want anything flashy, so it get stolen again... thanks for all the feed back it helped alot.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tEKnics)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tEKnics &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree and disagree...

As for the remote line...you can wire this to any fuse that is powered when the car is and not powered when the car is off. I believe they sell certain fuse clips that allow you to easily wire a remote line to a fuse cleanly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What fuse do you suggest??? The last thing i need is my car to be fried.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i forogot who...but someone makes a Line Output Converter that doubles as a bass ****.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jz98ctr)

a aftermarket deck makes a system sound hella better even if the subs and amp suck. A stock deck is good and all but the system is not going to reach its full potential. If you did stay with a stock deck i HIGHLY recommend that you get an amp with a bass boost *** so you can control it because i have some slap with an stock deck and the bass was too much for me all the time and the only way to turn it down was to go into the trunk and adjust the amp and that was a bitch..