Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

stock d16y8 on nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stock d16y8 on nitrous

i got a fully stock ej8 with 105,000 miles motor runs healthy nothin wrong just has an intake. i wan wonderign if it wil be safe to shoot a 75 wet shot on the stock y8. goin to the track soon nd just want to see what numbers it get hopefully 15s

im only gonna shoot for like 15-30 seconds just at the end of the track
will it be safe or no??
couldnt find anythin searchin
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-05-2007, 03:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my bro hit mid 14's wit his 00' ex with a 70 shot & bolt-ons

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsrturbo-ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

will it be safe or no??
</TD></TR></TABLE>

u seem to not understand how nitrous works & have watched fast & furious too much
Old 04-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no more that 10-15 seconds at a time.
Retard your timing about 6 degrees and run some 100 octane if you can. Also install some spark plugs that are 2 steps colder than the stock plugs. Holler.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (uptownspeedstar)

alirught thanks man for the info
Old 04-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tha_badguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tha_badguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my bro hit mid 14's wit his 00' ex with a 70 shot & bolt-ons

u seem to not understand how nitrous works & have watched fast & furious too much</TD></TR></TABLE>

no not into that dumbass fast furiose nitrous bs i just want to keep it safe nd nothing to crazy just a tiny bit dont really got money to fix **** that get broke
Old 04-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (uptownspeedstar)

Now take everything uptownspeedstar said and throw it out the window.

If you retard timing AT ALL, no more than 2 degrees. I would not worry about it with a 75 shot.

There is no need for 100 octane unless you are trying to slow the car down. It has neither the compression or the amount of nitrous needed for 100 octane. Just run 93 and call it a day.

You have less than no need for 2 step colder plug. Use your stock plugs for a short shot (one gear pull) and then then pull the plugs. Look down into the plug and see if there are any gray/silvery specs towards the base, if so, then try putting one pill higher on the fuel side, if that doesn't cure it, then get ONE step colder plugs.

The biggest most important part of all of this has been left out as well. buy a damn window switch. I have been spraying cars forever and a day and the only time I have ever hurt anything was when I tapped the limiter and it melted a plug on the #1 cylinder. I new better then and ignored it because I was in a hurry to just slap something together and go race that summer and it cost me.

Overall, probably 15 cars since the mid 90's and that's the only damage, I think it's going to be ok.

Last but not least, just for a bit on the safe side, throw in a Walbro 255 because your stock pump is quite tired after 100k miles man.
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jay_Sensing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay_Sensing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now take everything uptownspeedstar said and throw it out the window.

If you retard timing AT ALL, no more than 2 degrees. I would not worry about it with a 75 shot.

There is no need for 100 octane unless you are trying to slow the car down. It has neither the compression or the amount of nitrous needed for 100 octane. Just run 93 and call it a day.

You have less than no need for 2 step colder plug. Use your stock plugs for a short shot (one gear pull) and then then pull the plugs. Look down into the plug and see if there are any gray/silvery specs towards the base, if so, then try putting one pill higher on the fuel side, if that doesn't cure it, then get ONE step colder plugs.

The biggest most important part of all of this has been left out as well. buy a damn window switch. I have been spraying cars forever and a day and the only time I have ever hurt anything was when I tapped the limiter and it melted a plug on the #1 cylinder. I new better then and ignored it because I was in a hurry to just slap something together and go race that summer and it cost me.

Overall, probably 15 cars since the mid 90's and that's the only damage, I think it's going to be ok.

Last but not least, just for a bit on the safe side, throw in a Walbro 255 because your stock pump is quite tired after 100k miles man. </TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks man defiantly will look into everything u have said
Old 04-06-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: (gsrturbo-ek)

I agree with Jay....75 is fine with stock stuff....I would start with pulling out 3 deg timing and advance from there depending on the plugs
Old 04-06-2007, 03:42 PM

What about a 75 dry shot? I was trying to figure out which is safer, wet or dry, with a zex kit.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Canidinadian-Spec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Canidinadian-Spec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about a 75 dry shot? I was trying to figure out which is safer, wet or dry, with a zex kit.</TD></TR></TABLE> not sure but i belive wet is safer since it supplies its own fuel nd u dont have to worry bout the injectors not givin enough gas but u stil gotta worry bout the rest of the fuel system
not hundred percent sure some body correct em if im wrong
Old 04-06-2007, 08:17 PM

From my understanding, a ZEX dry 75 shot will be fine because the computer module it comes with cuts the nitrous if your motor is running too lean...?
Old 04-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock d16y8 on nitrous (gsrturbo-ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsrturbo-ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got a fully stock ej8 with 105,000 miles motor runs healthy nothin wrong just has an intake. i wan wonderign if it wil be safe to shoot a 75 wet shot on the stock y8. goin to the track soon nd just want to see what numbers it get hopefully 15s

will it be safe or no??
</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol how long is that 1/4 mile you racing on? an ej8 with the y8 should already be in mid to high 15s so by hittn the gas at the end of the track for 15 seconds youd be wasting it. even at 10 seconds thats over a third of the track. with a 75 shot id say you should be mid 14s for sure
Old 04-07-2007, 06:24 AM

Those D16Y8 motors have a weak bottom end, Those motors come in all the time with rod knock,

I would not be surprised if you throw a rod
Old 04-07-2007, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Huh, maybe it's just canadian Y8's then because here on the east coast, we have a slew of rock stock ones with small turbo kits running 12's. [/sarcasm]

Don't spread useless rumors man, throw out some proof to substantiate that claim on don't bother because we have plenty out stout *** D's around here.

As far as wet vs dry, stick with wet. It's just a lot safer on your engine because you aren't relying on stock injectors to add your fuel.