Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Starting my LS/Vtec project

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting my LS/Vtec project

Last friday i picked up a B18B short block from a local junkyard for $50. Here is my basic LS/vtec project for now.

Block:
Hone all cylinders
P30 pistons (?)
New OEM Bearings
Type R Oil Pump
Type R Oil Pan
Golden Eagle Conversion kit
ARP Bolts

Head Cylinder:
B16 Head with everything
OEM Dizzy
NGK spark wiring set

Transmisson:
I do a lot of city/highway driving so I guess i will go with GSR tranny?

ECU:
P73

That's all the basic list i wanna do for now. I will just do a lot of cruising around the city. And also which OEM piston is the best? I wanna have at least 12.0 compression or higher. Also im thinking about polishing the block and head cylinder

Last edited by Cam9191; 09-06-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Starting my LS/Vtec project

you're in the right track, my friend. I've gone through 2 LSVTECs, the first one blew up due to my GF driving through a puddle and hydrolocking it. But I have almost the same exact setup as you. The first one I had a b16 head, now I've got a GSR head (not a big difference other than choice of intake manifolds) P30 pistons are great, i have 12.0 compression paired with Buddy Club spec+2 cams. As for the transmission, I have a GSR transmission and its AWESOME. Shorter gears than the LS but its great for N/A. If you really want super high compression, go with CTR pistons. They're gonna give you the highest CR out of all OE b-series pistons
Old 09-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RCurioso88
you're in the right track, my friend. I've gone through 2 LSVTECs, the first one blew up due to my GF driving through a puddle and hydrolocking it. But I have almost the same exact setup as you. The first one I had a b16 head, now I've got a GSR head (not a big difference other than choice of intake manifolds) P30 pistons are great, i have 12.0 compression paired with Buddy Club spec+2 cams. As for the transmission, I have a GSR transmission and its AWESOME. Shorter gears than the LS but its great for N/A. If you really want super high compression, go with CTR pistons. They're gonna give you the highest CR out of all OE b-series pistons
Thanks man! a quick question. is Golden Eagle Conversion required to have on the block? what about the head gasket?
Old 09-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cam9191
Thanks man! a quick question. is Golden Eagle Conversion required to have on the block? what about the head gasket?
For Head gasket you use the one for the block.

I hope you are getting ARP rod bolts. My buddy blew his first lsv because the bolts stretched and facked the crank. He revved it to 8 on the stock block thats why it happened. The rod bolts only cost about 50 bucks make sure you get them.

Another good thing to do while everything is apart is get the rotating assembly balanced for extra insurance. It cost me $200 for my machine shop to do it.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by low91rex
For Head gasket you use the one for the block.

I hope you are getting ARP rod bolts. My buddy blew his first lsv because the bolts stretched and facked the crank. He revved it to 8 on the stock block thats why it happened. The rod bolts only cost about 50 bucks make sure you get them.

Another good thing to do while everything is apart is get the rotating assembly balanced for extra insurance. It cost me $200 for my machine shop to do it.
Which head gasket? OEM or Golden Eagle Conversion? Yes i'm getting ARP rod bolts
Old 09-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Which head gasket? OEM or Golden Eagle Conversion? Yes i'm getting ARP rod bolts

i have used ls headgaskets before. no problem from me.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The GE kit comes with a vtec head gasket. just buy the conversion dowels and oil feed line separately tap and plug the head yourself and just go out and buy a OEM head gasket.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why OEM head gasket? is it better for some reasons?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can get whatever head gasket you want but I've never had problems with a basic felpro head gasket. Unless you have super high compression or your boosting you'll be ok.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as someone stated above me not sure who but he said vtec head gaskets leak and ge comes with a vtec head gasket so the non vtec one would be better unless you dont mind the leaking
Old 09-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had GE headgasket and it leaked. Bought an OE LS one for my 2nd LSV and no more leak. Also if you're using the LS rods, get them shot-peened and buy ACL bearings and ARP rod bolts. If you want to rev the engine high, you'll need all the extra insurance you can get.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WHOOOOOOA bud i would NEVER EVER recommend CTR pistons for any motor besides at B16. period.
CTR pistons will put your CR in the HIGH 13's.. almost 14:1 way too high for DD let alone pump gas.
P30 pistons will put your CR in the mid 12's...too high for DD on pump gas...realistically
PR3 pistons (B16a) will put your CR right about 12:1... which is the highest i would recommend for DD on pump gas.
ITR (p73) pistons on the LS rotating assembly IMO is the killer combo. mid 11's which will give you a great range of cams to choose from and make good power.

All those compression numbers are w/ a b16 head..if you chose to go GSR head they will go up another.2 compression points. Also was figured w/ an OEM HG and no milling or decking done.

Hands down the B16 or ITR tranny will be the best tranny for any NA motor (my opinion) but the GSr isnt bad either. you would be disappointed with the ls gears.

Also why are you considering building a high compression motor, especially 12:1 or over, for a DD that you drive a ton on the highway? Seems like a waste to me. Premium gas, high compression and all the such will just kill your gas mileage as well as reliability.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well he wont DD'ing it.. it will his weekend car only so our friends loves to cruise on highway together but he asked which tranny will be best got city/highway
Old 09-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97dssi
well he wont DD'ing it.. it will his weekend car only so our friends loves to cruise on highway together but he asked which tranny will be best got city/highway
HUH? the first part of that post makes me dizzy. If i comprehnded this correct if its not going to be a DD car then who cares what tranny, get what you like but the B16 IMO is the best NA tranny available besides the ITR
Old 09-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97dssi
thanks my friend! he is right. it will not be my DD car. it will be my toy car
Old 09-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Please update this thread o/p im wanting to do the same build
Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ctr pistons b16 tranny.....FTW!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ good point but its his daily driver. Maybe throw a ls 5th gear in.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phaphon
ctr pistons b16 tranny.....FTW!!!!!!!!!!
I hope this guys is joking. CTR's in anything besides a B16 is stupid. Pr3 pistons would get his goals perfect and still be safe
Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice man..

looking forward in this project..
Old 09-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't recommend CTR pistons either. I went with P30 pistons with my lsvtec and am around 12.1 CR. Its a great motor and if you build it right, it's as reliable, if not more than, other Honda engines. OP have you considered getting a GSR or ITR swap instead?
Old 09-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by XRacerX
^^^ good point but its his daily driver. Maybe throw a ls 5th gear in.
nope it will not be my DD car. It will be my toy car. I will drive it like on weekends only
Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't recommend CTR pistons either. I went with P30 pistons with my lsvtec and am around 12.1 CR. Its a great motor and if you build it right, it's as reliable, if not more than, other Honda engines. OP have you considered getting a GSR or ITR swap instead?
nah i decided to go with a sleeper motor. i think GSR or ITR swap is too common and overrated
Old 09-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
I hope this guys is joking. CTR's in anything besides a B16 is stupid. Pr3 pistons would get his goals perfect and still be safe
yes indeed. if i want CTR's then i have to get my connecting rods modified by a shop=more money, dont think so. am i right?
Old 09-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jdm03
nice man..

looking forward in this project..

thanks man. might will make a build thread if i start builidng it

Quick Reply: Starting my LS/Vtec project