Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Start then dies, then takes a few times to stay running

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Start then dies, then takes a few times to stay running

My friend got a '97 Civic a few weeks ago, and has been having this issue. He will crank the car, and it'll turn over and start, but then die immediately. It will do this 2-3 times before it will crank and stay started. He will try and give it a bit of gas, and idle it higher than normal for a few seconds before letting off the gas. Revving it up a bit like this seems to work, and it doesn't die after this. It has never shut off on him while idling, while coming to a stop, or while driving in general.

I was reading old threads here and some said that problems similar to this could be caused by the ignition switch? If this were the case, wouldn't it turn over but not start, and then take a few tries of turning it over for it to even start?

We primed the system and made sure the fuel pump is humming, which it is. After letting it sit for a few hours, we tried to prime it by going from the Off to On positions on the key switch a few times, letting it prime for 2-3 seconds each time, and doing that 3-4 times before trying to start it (in theory to see if it were a fuel pump issue). It didn't make a difference, and it still exhibited the same hard-to-stay started symptom that I described above.

Where would we begin to diagnose this issue? I appreciate any help!
Old 10-07-2014, 10:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Start then dies, then takes a few times to stay running

Does the car have ***** scratched into it?

motors need air fuel spark and compression.

the most expensive thing to check is fuel pressure, a fluid pressure testing tool costs about $100.

a spark tester is about $5, it should have directions. It plugs into the wire, if its white its happy if its yellow its sad.

a compression tester could be expensive for a nice one, or it could be free if you rent it or borrow one. Do a basic test, you screw it into the spark plug tube, take out the 20 amp fuse in the rear/passenger side corner of the under the hood fuse box (I think) then test it again with a tiny bit of oil down the spark plug tube, about 1 tablespoon or 1 quart's (liter) cap.

as for air flow, you should replace the air filter if stock, properly clean it if cone-style cold air intake (K&N), clean the throttle body (take it off, hold the butterfly valve open, spray it with throttle body cleaner and wipe it down), and you might as well clean the idle air control valve (or block it off) and the other thing that I cant remember. Fixed idle air control. And finally run seafoam or gumout thru the booster or PCV vacuum hose, make sure you use a little at a time or else you could hydrolock the motor

and finally test the fuel pressure at the rail, or replace the fuel filter. And try swapping in known-good injectors. I have.. 20? Lots of spares, but I only know 16 work properly.

this is all very inexpensive and meant to be done regularly. And listen to tomcat hes a responsible automobile owner. Besides his demented desire to keep a b7 under his hood! Haha I'm just poking fun at you Tommy.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Start then dies, then takes a few times to stay running

And your money is worth more than ours! I want the nice one that can also test an automatic's and engine's health. It comes with about 25 couplings, it can do any car and any fluid. Besides, probably, BMWs or VWs since they always need special tools.