Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SRS and Radio issues. Short?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS and Radio issues. Short?

My roommate has a 99 em1 thats all stock besides a cat-back and sri. The car is lowered on springs and tokicos. All that shouldn't matter but figure I should not eeverything. We've both seen all the common issues Civic's have i.e. iacv's, fitv's, dash lights not working etc.. but this one stumps the both of us. Symtpoms are as follows:

1. The SRS light will come on and stay on for 7 seconds and then shut off for about 20 or so. It doesn't do this everytime the car is driven and nothing seems to really trigger it. It does seem like on a hotter day it's more likely but can't really say. It's usually after the car's been driving for a while.

2. The radio will cut off and lose all power when you either brake or let off the gas. It kind of seems likes it's whenever the car pitches forward but I had him heavily brake repeatedly and it wouldn't do it every single time, maybe every 3rd time or so. I thought possibly an exposed wire somewhere that swung forward when the car pitched forward and contacted metal but like I said it's not every single time you brake.

3. The car will idle very low and almost have a very faint 'hiccup" sound. This is less common and doesn't do it necessarily when the SRS light is on or the radio has lost power, just occasionally when you come to a stop.

All these symptoms seem to have started after the car was lowered. I wouldn't think that would affect it but who knows. My first guess would be exposed speaker wire maybe. We've had the charging system checked and it was ok (also checked all fuses). We're absolutely stumped and it' sgetting frustrating. He broke his instrumental cluster yesterday he was so pissed. haha so please help out or chime in if you think you may have an idea. Anything's better than nothing.

edit: forgot to add that when the radio cuts off and loses power sometimes the gauges lose power as well. I know I saw the speedo needle drop to 0 at one point but it just lasts for maybe 2 seconds at the most.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRS and Radio issues. Short?

sounds like a wire harness issue. i know ek's are good for it. and it is still an ek pretty much em1 just the si prob has the same crappy harness as an ek
Old 08-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Try cleaning and tightening the battery posts/connectors and ground wire connection in the engine bay. Do the same for the large wire connected to the alternator.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok we'll try that. I know we looked at all those and they felt tight and didnt have any corrosion but we'll double check. Do you think an exposed speaker wire could cause any of these symptoms?
Old 08-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Sambo_Eddo
Do you think an exposed speaker wire could cause any of these symptoms?
I wouldn't think so. But, to test, disconnect all speaker wires from the rear of the radio.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, we'll try that and I'll prolly bump the thread once we have a result.